PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air A/C - defrost vents

rockdogz
06-29-2005, 04:20 PM
How do you secure the plastic defrost vents that the hoses connect to under the dash? You don't want to put a screw in them vertically because it will show on the dash. How are they supposed to attach?

69lt4
06-30-2005, 03:18 AM
I had the same question a couple of weeks ago when I did my install. Many people attach them to the firewall (actually the area under the windshield where the wiper mechanisms mount) with sheet metal screws. I didn't like the way they aligned nor did I want screws showing through. Not that you would see them. I made some brackets, welded them to the firewall then attached the vents to the brackets.

nancejd
06-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Maybe this is a stupid question, and I haven't looked at it myself, ut why not just reuse the factory defrost duct. It seems like it would even be better to make an adapter if you had to than use the sheet metal screws.

USAZR1
06-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question, and I haven't looked at it myself, but why not just reuse the factory defrost duct. It seems like it would even be better to make an adapter if you had to than use the sheet metal screws.

That's what we did on the V/A a/c install on my 69 Camino. Works great,too.

David Pozzi
07-07-2005, 09:23 PM
here are the ducts for our second gen Vintage Air system.
I used a hot glue gun and glued the VA ducts to the original ducts. I opened up the inside of the VA ducts first. If you can find some black hot glue, it will look nicer.
I put a nutsert in the stud hole then used a screw to fasten the factory duct to the dash. I plan on dabbing some black paint on the nutsert where it shows thru the windshield.
David

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/07/ducts-1.jpg