PDA

View Full Version : RideTech CoilOvers and SpeedTech Control Arms

tonyvol
09-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Hey everyone, is anyone using RideTech CoilOvers with SpeedTech Control Arms on a 1st Gen Camaro? How is that combination working out? Are there any advantages to going with the RideTech control arms over the SpeedTech?

Thanks,
Tony

SR71
09-30-2011, 06:47 AM
I love the ridetech shocks, but ridetech has no additional caster built into their lower arm. it's all in the upper arm. this could lead to problems with the wheel being offset in the wheelwell if you try to dial 5+ degrees of positive caster into the front....especially if your car has very much rake.

speedtech, on the other hand has +2 built into their lower and +2 in the upper. this keeps the front wheel centered in the wheelwell with larger caster numbers.

this photo of my car illustrates the problem. I have 3.5 degrees of positive caster dialed in. the lower arm has no additional caster over stock, so I have to lay the spindle back entirely with the top arm. this pulls the wheel centerline back. notice how the front wheel sit toward the back of the wheelwell? adding caster with the lower solves this problem.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/09/GEDC0037Small-1.jpg

killer69
09-30-2011, 07:48 AM
we use a different lower mount than ridetech does, not a big deal, the combo works great!! you may want to investigate the Chicane Upper mount for the stock sub??

G-Rob
10-03-2011, 04:46 AM
Ridetech specifically states on their website that they keep the wheel centered. I'd like to hear from them on this matter.

marolf101x
10-03-2011, 10:50 AM
It is true that we alter the caster with the upper arm. However, we've not had a problem with centering the wheel when using our front kit.

Take a look at the 48 Hour Camaro. . .it has over 5-degrees and the wheel is still in the center.

SR71, I'm confused. You posted as though you are using our parts, but your sig states that you are using Fatman arms and dropped spindles. Are you running coil overs, or traditional springs?

SR71
10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
SR71, I'm confused. You posted as though you are using our parts, but your sig states that you are using Fatman arms and dropped spindles. Are you running coil overs, or traditional springs?

I have both front and rear pairs of your tripple adjustable coilovers in the corner awaiting the arrival of the speedtech torque arm kit, chicane mount kit and sc&c a-arms. I passed on ridetech arms because, as you can see from the photo, I need some caster built into the lower arms. and you know why I am reusing my spindles.

James OLC
10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I am running that combination - RideTech shocks (started with the single adjustables, now using the triple adjustables) with SpeedTech upper and lower control arms. I am also using the SpeedTech Chicane-LM upper mount for the the shocks. On the '67 the combination works great and I have no complaints what-so-ever. The RideTech shocks are amazingly adjustable off of a very usable base and can easily be fine tuned with noticable results. The SpeedTech control arms fit perfectly and are of excellent construction. We run between 5° and 6° of caster and around -1.5° of camber most of the time.

killer69
10-03-2011, 01:01 PM
And didn't you just win the Goodguys auto X???

G-Rob
10-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Just did some math and assuming the ride tech spindle is 7" tall, 5 degrees of caster would move the wheel about 1/4 inch back vs zero caster. Not noticeable IMO. If the spindle was taller, it will move the wheel back even less.

killer69
10-03-2011, 02:25 PM
The AFX spindle is 8 5/8 tall. FYI

SR71
10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Just did some math and assuming the ride tech spindle is 7" tall, 5 degrees of caster would move the wheel about 1/4 inch back vs zero caster. Not noticeable IMO. If the spindle was taller, it will move the wheel back even less.

when the spindle pin is raised 2", as with ridetech and fatman, that 5 degrees of caster moves it back a bit more does it not?

killer69
10-03-2011, 03:00 PM
On a A body it would because the control arm mount is not square to the spindle. on a First gen it should not change the caster

James OLC
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
And didn't you just win the Goodguys auto X???

Yeah... we were 1st overall, 1st in Street Machine and 2nd in the Vendor class in Ft. Worth last weekend. We do ok on road courses as well :)

G-Rob
10-06-2011, 04:23 AM
when the spindle pin is raised 2", as with ridetech and fatman, that 5 degrees of caster moves it back a bit more does it not?

Assumption was the pin was halfway up the spindle which its not. So even less than calculated.

coolwelder62
10-06-2011, 04:41 AM
My son Kevin and I both have ride tech coil over's on our camaro's.Kevin is also using their 4-bar rear suspension on his 69 camaro.Ride tech shocks really help you get your car dailed in.Scott Mock.

G-Rob
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Redid the math and with an 8.625 inch tall spindle and the pin 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, for 5 degrees of caster the top a-arm mount will be about 0.75" back from the bottom mount and the pin will be about 0.25" back.

SR71
10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
a certain well known builder here told me that he normaly pushes the stock sub forward 1/2" to alleviate the problem on his builds. I can't do that because my car has a set of massive box subframe connectors welded in. so, I have to do it with offset arms. and if that offset isn't enough, I will add a little more offset myself. :rolleyes: