PDA

View Full Version : Hagerty doesn't cover supercharged cars?!

esenior
09-29-2011, 04:45 PM
We've been with Hagerty for over 3 years now for our 1970 Chevelle and have a $100k stated value policy.

We're getting real close to having my Camaro back on the road and I am towing it to a show this weekend (not running yet). Called Hagerty to get coverage for this weekend and to discuss coverage once it is on the road. They told us they can't cover the car because it has a supercharger and mini-tubs. Really? According to their web site, they don't cover any vehicles with N20. So now I am shopping for new insurance.

We have 6 cars that we want coverage on. 3 are show only (not daily drivers), 1 is a 69 Camaro that my son (16 yo) drives to school, and the other 2 are our daily drivers.

The 3 show-only cars are:
- 1970 Chevelle convertible (ZZ502/700R4, otherwise stock, but fully restored)
- 1969 Camaro convertible (Dart 540, Whipple SC, TKO-600, tubbed). Almost complete
- 1966 El Camino (396/TKO)

I'm hoping we can find a single company that would like to get business for 6 cars and can give us a good rate. We live in San Diego, CA.

Any help would be appreciated. ---Eric

P.S. Saw the note about Morgan at WIM in another thread. Will reach out to him also.

brownz
09-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Grundy... Thats who I went with on my nova wagon, I have called around and Grundy gave me no issues, quick and easy just need one photo. The only thing they asked was if the car was modified and it was a simple as yes or no

andrewb70
09-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I have Grundy as well.

Andrew

Patrick
09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Grundy as well . I was with Hagerty for a few years but Grundy beat Hagerty premiums substantially - and with better coverage.

NOPANTS-68
09-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I have Hagerty and my supercharged car was just insured it last month. What they did freak out about was this weird 600 HP barrier they have. If you mention that it's got some serious power, they will limit you to comp/collision. I told them mine only has 500 HP...............at 4000 RPM.

SShep71
09-29-2011, 08:23 PM
How do these companys compare to the major ones? I have state farm and dont know how they are going to take to insuring my GTO when its done. Eric where are you at in San Diego? Im down by chula vista.

brownz
09-30-2011, 04:01 AM
How do these companys compare to the major ones? I have state farm and dont know how they are going to take to insuring my GTO when its done. Eric where are you at in San Diego? Im down by chula vista.

I have state farm on the rest of my cars and truck, when I went to get it on a couple of my older project cars ( not completed ) they would not cover them for the value that I wanted, they said that it must be in almost mint condition for them to cover it under classic insurance.

I called Grundy and got better coverage for less money

68Formula
09-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Seems like a few people are getting better deals with Grundy. Think I need to check it out.

Couple questions for the Grundy guys:
1. What's there position with coverage at a race event? IIRC, Haggerty covers you in the pits, just not if you're actually racing.
2. Any driving/use limitations?
3. I get a discount for having a year plate, Grundy offer this too? (Might be moot if their regular premium is low enough, but want to ask).

Anyone had to actually make a claim? How are they in dealing with that?

Ron S
09-30-2011, 04:11 AM
From what I understand, they won't cover a car with a rollbar either.

ProdigyCustoms
09-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Heacock Classic covers my stuff.

Bigblue73
09-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Agreed on Grundy! Eric you are a WAY COOL Dad! A 16 year old driving a '69 Camaro to school! You rock!

brownz
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Seems like a few people are getting better deals with Grundy. Think I need to check it out.

Couple questions for the Grundy guys:
1. What's there position with coverage at a race event? IIRC, Haggerty covers you in the pits, just not if you're actually racing.
2. Any driving/use limitations?
3. I get a discount for having a year plate, Grundy offer this too? (Might be moot if their regular premium is low enough, but want to ask).

Anyone had to actually make a claim? How are they in dealing with that?

as for at the race track I think its the same, no coverage if your on the track
I dont have any driving limitations, they just ask if you have a regular car for daily driving
as for the year plate that I do not know... they did ask me if I had it registered as a historic or not so that might be a discount???

All I know is tat grundy was about 40% cheaper then hagerty

esenior
10-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Just to provide an update....we ended up going with State Farm. They were fine with the stated values for the Elky and the 69 coupe (since they are under $50k), but do require an appraisal on the Chevelle and Camaro ragtops. Anyone know if a good appraisal service near San Diego?

They are going to be covering ALL of our cars (including our daily drivers) and even though we are adding a car, we are going to pay far less then we did with Hagerty and Liberty Mutual.

esenior
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Eric you are a WAY COOL Dad! A 16 year old driving a '69 Camaro to school! You rock!

Truth be told, I was trying to talk him into a ~10 year old Infiniti G35 (you know...lots of air bags). But he just had to have a car like dad's and he paid for over half of it. I think my wife still wants me to pull a couple of the plug wires though :)

Tony_SS
10-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Is stated and agreed value the same? Just make sure on that...

Sounds like Grundy might be worth a look though...

esenior
10-05-2011, 06:54 AM
We did look at Grundy, but they were rather expensive ($1700 for just our 2 high-end cars). So far looks like State Farm is working out the best, but need to clarify stated vs agreed value.

My understanding is that stated value doesn't guarantee a specific pay out, but agreed does. The insurer has to option of paying out the depreciated value or replacement cost.

Also, did hear back from Morgan (my bad, wife didn't tell me he called). His approach is also to cover the specialty cars separately. Will look closer at this if we aren't satisfied with States Farm's final proposal.

I appreciate all the input. Glad to see we're not the only ones in this situation....Eric

Garymac69
10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
FYI....I have always had State Farm insurance, so I have had their classic car policy on my '69 for 15 years now. I have been advised many times that I should switch to Hagerty or Grundy, but the $220 / yr coverage swayed my judgment. Well.....3 weeks ago my '69 got rear-ended (about $10K of damage) by a young jerk with lapsed insurance, so now State Farm has to fix my car. Repair starts next week, so I'll post the results in about 5 weeks.

Gary

rfalker1
10-06-2011, 03:02 PM
so is Grundy more or less than Hagerty???

Because I have hagerty but I am always looking to save money!!!

ajg87
10-09-2011, 06:11 PM
best bet's to give em a call

1red68
10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
does anyone have Anpac Chrome speciality car ins? i just got some info on them but havent checked into them yet.. www.anpachrome.com

1red68
10-09-2011, 06:31 PM
never mind. i see they don't cover cars that are raced or in timed events. :(

68sixspeed
10-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Pretty much no road policy will cover you on track. I pick up event insurance from ontrackinsurance.com as needed.