PDA

View Full Version : The Race Rod

RPM Dragracing
06-29-2005, 10:37 AM
RPM Dragracing introduces Thom Taylors Race Rod

RPM Dragracing which is currently sponsoring the drive train for the “Genesis Chevelle” project by Keith Chrisswell in Las Vegas Nevada, www.zefhix.com (http://www.zefhix.com/).

has recently embarked upon it's own high profile vehicle ourselves. The car we chose was a Thom Taylor rendering for what he had entitled “The Return of The Race Rod” printed in the Oct’ 04 issue of HR. In contacting Mr. Taylor, he provided us with a little more insight to the background of the design, most notably being that the initial draft was commisioned by David Frieburger of HOT ROD fame and the “546” numbers are which David ran at Bonneville, we decided to keep the numbers in place in honor of the inspiration for the project and more notably what David has done for our industry by giving it the shot in the arm in so desperately needed back then.

Project Features:

1 – Conversion to all wheel drive similar to the Summit Roadster, we have a great deal of experience in this area and regularly sell conversion packages for many types of vehicles .

2 – Mounting the side exhaust tips more flush to the body, there will be electric cutouts to utilize them but they would normally exit hidden through the rear.

3 – The steal window supports would be carried out on all the cars glass (Lexan) this would be done by using ¼ inch panels of Lexan and 1/8 steal supports, the Lexan would be routed to enable the supports to mount flush therefore giving a cleaner look and still enabling us to have roll up windows.

4 – Late model LS6 with a satin finished Magnusen Supercharger. 600 real world and streetable HP is the goal and easily attainable.

5 - RPM Dragracing "Full Race 4L60E" and modified 4472 AWD tranfer case. Paddle or button shifter controls off the steering column.

6 – The interior being likened to the street version of Ford’s original GT-40’s, a liberal use of solid brushed aluminum panels for the dashboard with similar controls. The late model racing seats would also contain the vented buttons as per the original.

7 – Paint for the body would be in the original Henry Ford black and the hand painted numbers would be in semi-gloss, with high gloss for the white background. There will be no chrome anywhere on the vehicle, just brushed panels and polished aluminum components.

Current sponsors that Sponsor this site.

www.hydroboost.com (http://www.hydroboost.com/)
www.rpmdragracing.com (http://www.rpmdragracing.com/)

The project also has it's own site that will be comming soon also www.TheRaceRod.com (http://www.theracerod.com/) which currently redirects you to www.rpmdragracing.com (http://www.rpmdragracing.com/) , the Race Rod will have it’s own section within RPM's site that acts as it’s own as is currently under construction.

Hope you like what you see, because this will be one hell of a Pro-Touring monster. And yes !!! after the pictures and shows are used up I'm gunna drive the wheels off it.:drive2:
P.S. "Check out our post under Group Purchasing and the Free Dyno Tune"

zbugger
06-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Looks very interesting. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Please keep us updated.

vanzuuk1
06-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Man, thats a cool idea.Cant wait to see it in photos.

Ralph LoGrasso
06-29-2005, 02:11 PM
That's going to be one awesome car. I can't wait to see it take shape.

suh weet
06-29-2005, 05:13 PM
I have that issue of Hot Rod magazine! I've been dreaming of building a car like that ever since. I can't wait to see it!

67Sally
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Very cool!
W.

RPM Dragracing
07-01-2005, 06:31 AM
:attn: We want your help. RPM dragracing wants suggestions for some of the features you cant see in the exterior pic's of the car. It's an open book, so from mild to wild, suspension to steering, keep it comming. When the car debut's we will make sure that Pro-Touring and it's members get credit for having had a hand in the project.

Remember, this may be a high profile project but we want features that anyone can access to buy or build, thats what we feel the Pro-Touring movement is all about. In other words "No Billet Widgets Carved From Un-Obtanium". Offer your ideas, send pictures if you have them, use crayons on tissue paper for your drafts if need be, scan it and send it in. As the web-site for the Race Rod progresses, we will be adding descriptions and images off the suggestions you send in and highlighting the ones we'll be usuing. Remeber this also, just because we dont use it, that doesn't mean someone else wont.

Cant wait to hear from you all ................ :drive2:

Camaro_Kyle
07-01-2005, 07:03 AM
How about a Banks Twin Turbo system, that is, is you plan on doing a twin turbo. It is readily available to people, pretty wild, and definitely cool!
Just a thought,
Kyle

nevermind, just saw that you are going with a magnacharger. :hand:

RPM Dragracing
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Actually we were originally going with a Twin Turbo System by www.GMRSpeed.com (http://www.GMRSpeed.com) in Ohio, but the look and feel of this project has dictated that we go with the Magnusen. They are still going to sponsor the engine build being a 6.0 liter LSx w/AFR heads, thier blower cam, proper internals and tuning to handle the boost. What were going for here in total will be our version of the ultimate pro-touring car. It will do it all well.

72cutlass
07-03-2005, 04:55 PM
How about Corvette Independant rear suspension?

Dave

P.S. That car should be sweet when done.

BRIAN
07-03-2005, 06:50 PM
RPM I see the 718 area code but you have no address noted. Where are you located. I am in Queens so you have to be somewhere close???

JamesD
07-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I was hoping someone would build that car ever since I first saw it.

72cutlass
07-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I was hoping someone would build that car ever since I first saw it.
Same here :headbang:
Dave
:3gears:

RPM Dragracing
07-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Well were certainly at it full steam, The first chassis we tried gave us a bit of trouble so we hacked off the front of it ahead of the motor mounts. Right now were scratch building a new one, all should be fitted by the end of this week and I'll post those pic's. Ifr anyone out there knows of an old steel chopped 3 window body please let me know, the more I look at the glass unit the more I want steel.

formula
07-05-2005, 09:58 AM
how did you guys pick GMRspeed to do your drivetrain work? i've never met the owners in real life but i know them fairly well through the net and i can vouch for their quality work. once i get stupid rich i plan on having them drop some magic into my car too...
as for ideas....uhh...maybe do the engine bay in unfinished satin aluminum? just have all the rivets and everything exposed...i think that would look nasty sweet.

RPM Dragracing
07-05-2005, 10:35 AM
They, among the other tuners that distribute my product line are very honest and dont pump numbers before the fact. They shoot a good estimate of what you'll make with what your installing and where you'll be best off in making the power for your combination. They were the first to step to the plate and offered thier services so we gladly accepted. There are other RPM distributors that are co-sponsoring and will all be highlighted very soon on the www.racerod.com (http://www.racerod.com) website when it's completed.

preston
07-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Definitlye pushrod suspension.

I'm a little concerned about the theme though - It seems like this should be biased a little more towards light weight and a modern road racing interpretation of the standard old school street rod - in other words more emphasis on simplicity and weight rather than excessive pro-touring luxury especially an AUTOMATIC transmission, not to mention AWD.

Either way its a cool project, just my personal interpretation of this concept was - Yes, big modern tires and dual a-arm suspension, but some old school and rat rod themes to the overal execution.

For example I would see it as big inch SB N/A with solid cam and snotty glasspack style exhaust, manual trans, did I mention light weight ? Ie a kick ass track car that emulates early rod stylin' as best as can be done with modern brakes/tires that would be street driveable but not necessarily pro touring A/C and all the weight and comfort that goes with it.

race-rodz-inc
07-05-2005, 11:14 AM
preston has the idea..... a RACE rod.

so your sayin i gotta go find ya a steel body so you can be big pimpin like me:seizure:

best part about using a steel body....... it reeeeeeeeeeeeally pisses off the show rod people