PDA

View Full Version : Mocal/Earls Oil Thermostat

Vegas69
09-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Looking for input from those of you that run either of these t stats.(Prferably in all weather conditions)Are they functioning as designed?

Randy67
09-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I have the Earls termostatic adapter one, no problems with it at all. For the most part the oil temp didn't get that high in my car, so I probably didn't need the cooler. Sitting still in hot Atlanta weather, the gauge would rise to the 185 degree opening point and stop. It would drop back down once moving again, it never went over 200. Temp sending unit was in the oil pan. The adapter allowed some oil to flow all the time to keep the cooler full, so this probably kept the oil temps down.

sik68
09-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Gaetano, Dave and I all have the Mocal thermostat. Of course we're all shady characters so don't trust anything we do.

On the street my oil never really warms up...the mocal partially bypasses some of the oil to the cooler all the time so it is 190deg or under on the street. Only about 10deg warmer than my water temperature at all times when cruising around or at stoplights.

FWIW at buttonwillow I never saw more than 235deg

The nice feature of the mocal is that it has the AN fittings built in so you have fewer fittings; less cost, less places for leaks.

The Canton one is much sexier but it was a little bulky packaging-wise.

Vegas69
09-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys.... Steven, that is my main concern, the bypassing all the time. My engine will run ice cold in the colder months and make some HEAT on the road course. That's why I went with the in radiator heat exchanger originally, heat up the oil in the cold months. I do know the Canton always bypasses 10-15%. Sounds like the Mocal does the same. Now if I can get a straight answer out of Earls, I"ll be set.

CarlC
09-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm in the same boat with the Mocal in the Camaro, and it's the high-temp version.

I have almost enough parts to eliminate it by using a three-way ball valve instead of the thermostat. No cooler on the street, all cooler on the track.

Vegas69
09-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I was thinking about that tonight at dinner. I'll give you a call and see what you have cooking.

crusader9x
10-05-2011, 09:35 AM
... Now if I can get a straight answer out of Earls, I"ll be set.

Hey, I have the Earls Oil Thermostat (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-501ERL/) on my car and so far it appears to be working just fine.

I believe they will all be same in this aspect, it to lets about 10% through when "closed". My car is a Rx-7 with the Wankel rotary motor. The reason I bring it up is about 40% of the motors cooling is done through the oil in a rotary. So my oil thermostat probably sees higher temps and more flow than most V8s will.

wmhjr
10-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I have the Canton unit. I also am convinced that they all bypass at least around 10% - for good reason. Having talked to Canton and the other manufacturers, the constant bypass (even when oil has not reached thermostat temp 10% goes through cooler - and even after temp has been achieved 10% goes bypasses cooler) prevents air gaps as well as abrupt temp changes in oil. After thinking about it, this made sense to me.

David Pozzi
10-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I read in an aircraft magazine that they don't want the oil flow to the cooler to be totally shut off or the oil will get super cold and nearly shut off flow due to it being so thick. Then if the flow were turned on by the thermostat, it would introduce very cold oil into the hot engine pulling under load. It might be best to blank off the cooler air flow by half on the street. A little duct tape is what I see racers use on cold days, they have no thermostats.
David

dontlifttoshift
11-08-2012, 03:15 PM
That's why I went with the in radiator heat exchanger originally, heat up the oil in the cold months..

I was thinking the same thing on the heat exchanger but if you are asking about thermostats can I assume it doesn't work that way? My thoughts were heat exchanger in the radiator = quicker warm up of oil temperature and more stable oil temperature along with more efficient oil cooling......opinions welcome.