PDA

View Full Version : The mules intake

70ptta
06-29-2005, 10:10 AM
What company makes an intake like the one the mule has right now and about how much do they run?

camcojb
06-29-2005, 11:04 AM
What company makes an intake like the one the mule has right now and about how much do they run?

It was custom made at Wheel to Wheel in Michigan. You can PM "427" on this site, he runs the shop that built that turbo system.

Jody

andrewb70
06-29-2005, 01:49 PM
It probably cost as much as having it made from laminated 100 dollar bills.

LOL

Andrew

Blown353
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
The Mule's manfold would be expensive to duplicate; correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a Kinsler lower half (individual runner/butterfly) with aluminum plenum boxes up top?

To build something similar, but not an individual runner base, (see pictures in Jody's thread here for a similar concept: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum_main.htm) based on other manifolds I've speced out and ordered at a friend's shop, including throttle bodies and fuel rails Hogan's would charge about $3000 for a similar setup. Hogan's does nice work, but so does HRE Induction Specialties, Wilson Manifolds, and a few others.

Pretty much anyone with good sheetmetal working skills, the necessary metal working equipment, and the ability to weld aluminum could build a sheetmetal intake for you, but outfits that do it on a regular basis have data, history, assembly jigs and fixturing, and working knowledge of runner length/cross section/velocity properties, plenum volume, etc, and can design not only a good looking manifold but a very effective one for your application. For example, Hogan's has a pile of templates on hand with various port configurations. You can call up and order just about any oddball thing out there and if you give him good measurements (deck height, etc) the thing will bolt up and be nearly perfectly port matched right out of the box.

If you wanted to totally duplicate the Mule's setup with the individual runners/butterflies you're probably looking at about $5000 between the intake base and the sheetmetal plenums.

Troy

70ptta
06-30-2005, 02:45 PM
5 grand for the intake alone. thats a whold lot of mula. im going to check those other vendors out.

andrewb70
06-30-2005, 02:48 PM
The Holley Stealth Ram is a very nice intake. You can easily make a sheet metal plenum looks to jazz up the looks. It's a nice inexpensive option.

Andrew

Blown353
06-30-2005, 03:39 PM
The Holley Stealth Ram is a very nice intake. You can easily make a sheet metal plenum looks to jazz up the looks. It's a nice inexpensive option.

Andrew

I'm very happy with my StealthRam / sheetmetal hybrid, although it wasn't much cheaper than all-sheetmetal after having the Holley lower portion extrude honed. (Extrude honing is not a cheap process!) However, 305 cfm per port isn't a bad number, especially considering the ports have been lengthened about 5". :naughty:

Travis B
06-30-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm very happy with my StealthRam / sheetmetal hybrid, although it wasn't much cheaper than all-sheetmetal after having the Holley lower portion extrude honed. (Extrude honing is not a cheap process!) However, 305 cfm per port isn't a bad number, especially considering the ports have been lengthened about 5". :naughty:

Do you have any pics of your intake

camcojb
06-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Do you have any pics of your intake

Look in the efi section:

http://home.comcast.net/~procharged69/

Jody

Blown353
06-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Look in the efi section:

http://home.comcast.net/~procharged69/

Jody

LOL, thanks.

The welding on my intake isn't on par with Hogan's as far as cosmetics, but they're structurally sound and not too ugly. LOL. Anything that comes out of Hogan's is usually a work of art. Those guys are GOOD.

At some point I need to re-make the lid out of thicker stock; right now it's made out of only .100" thick sheet; I can watch it deflect under vacuum when I rev it. Eventually it's going to fatigue and crack from all the flexing. I have some 3/16" and 1/4" plate, I just need to get off my butt and duplicate the lid. That's my word of advice; if you make your own sheetmetal intake, go thick on the material you use. A bit more weight is much better than having it fail from fatigue because it flexed too much under manifold vacuum/pressure fluctuations. I'd use 3/16" or 1/4" thick stock minimum.

Troy

70ptta
07-01-2005, 10:01 AM
will a ram jet base flow just as good as a hogans manifold. and blown 353 is there a reason you put the throttle body on the pasanger side and not the closer side to the charger.

Chevy454
07-01-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't intend to hijack this thread, but...

Does anyone have pictures of the *inside* of any of these sheet metal intakes? I asked this same goofy question of Jody, but how complicated or uncomplicated are these things? Are they literally just a sheet metal box with runners exiting the floor, or are there individual runners inside like a traditional intake, or...? Or is it the fact that it's just air flowing versus fuel/air as with a traditional setup??

Blown353
07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
blown 353 is there a reason you put the throttle body on the pasanger side and not the closer side to the charger.

It would have been very hard to make a tight "S" Turn from the supercharger to the throttle body if it was on the driver's side (tightest mandrel bends you can get are 3" radius), and the longer tubing also gives the water injection more time so "soak" heat out of the air coming from the supercharger (the nozzles are in the tubing about 4" past the supercharger's outlet.)

The main reason I put it on the passenger side is for a future intercooler installation. At some point I'm going to install either an air/air or air/water setup, and it'll be a lot easier/cleaner to plumb it in with the supercharger on one side and the throttle body on the other.

Troy