PDA

View Full Version : Installed a Catch Can/Oil Breather...

Tony_SS
09-24-2011, 11:44 AM
I decided to install an oil breather rather than have the waste go back into the intake through the carb. It goes from the PCV.. in the pic you can see how the hose is run. I used heater hose. Is anyone else running one? After driving it, I do notice it breathing oil (imagine that!)... some slight smoke/vapor coming from the breather.... my only concern is that this is safe and won't lead to any fire hazards... feedback???

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/09/cb1-1.jpg

parsonsj
09-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Tony,

Where is the fresh air hose for your PCV? It looks like you've got both sides of the catch can attached to valve covers.

Tony_SS
09-24-2011, 01:41 PM
John, the PCV is on the driver side, and that normally goes directly to the carb base (where it gets sucked into the intake). I plugged that carb port, and ran the PCV hose instead to the breather.

The pass side used to be one of those chrome push in style foam breathers.

parsonsj
09-24-2011, 02:14 PM
OK, that's what I thought. You've plumbed your PCV wrong...

A PCV system is designed to circulate clean air from the atmosphere, through the engine, and then to the intake manifold. In fact, if the engine isn't pulling vacuum, the PCV system isn't working at all.

Here's how you need to plumb your PCV starting from the base of the carb (which has engine vacuum):
1. Hook the carb base to the catch can output port.
2. Hook the catch can input port to the PCV valve. (IOW, you've put your catch can between the PCV valve and engine vacuum -- the catch can is designed to collect the oil from the crankcase vapor stream and keep it from going into your intake manifold)
3. On the other valve cover, connect the hose to a fresh air source. The easiest way is to get it from your air cleaner via a secondary nipple, but a standalone filter will be adequate too.

Now you've got a PCV system pulling fresh air through the motor, through the PCV valve, through the catch can, and into the intake manifold.

Hope that helps.

Tony_SS
09-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Simple enough! Awesome - thanks John.:cheers:

parsonsj
09-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Here's a series of videos about PCV systems. Kinda patronizing, but good information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs6YtHUscCA&feature=related

BADDRIDE II
09-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Hey Tony, if you are wanting a correctly plumbed "PCV system"....then JP has you covered. If you just wanted your question answered as far as fire hazard the way you are plumbed currently, you are fine. The way you have it will be fine and has been duplicated by more hot rodders than I can count. This way you have plumbed provides adequit crankcase ventilation without the aid of vaccum (although idealy a pump would be nice). Unless you are pushing straight oil out the breather and onto the header you will be fine, normal blow-by will be harmless. Compartment looks nice!

parsonsj
09-24-2011, 03:20 PM
I would only add that a working PCV system costs no power, and will extend your engine life considerably, along with easing pressure on your engine gaskets and reducing oil leaks. It's really the primary reason why today's engines last a lot longer than those from the 60s.

The best system for managing your crankcase vapors is a PCV system with a catch can. No oil dripping on your valve covers, no acidic build-up in your engine oil, and (with the catch can) no oil coating the inside of your intake manifold.

Tony_SS
09-26-2011, 04:59 AM
I did read that on hard left turns there is a lot of blowby out of the passenger valve cover... So, what if I "T'd" that line into the PCV line going to the can, and then put my vacuum port on the other side of the can. That way the vacuum is pulling from both sides?? The PCV would be working and the other side would be breathing too. My only question is that maybe the vacuum pulling 'both' side won't be enough to work the PCV properly if I do that...

parsonsj
09-26-2011, 05:39 AM
My only question is that maybe the vacuum pulling 'both' side won't be enough to work the PCV properly if I do that...Probably not, since air can flow much easier on the side without a PCV. Plus you still don't have a clean air source. The breather line going to the catch can from the passenger side needs to be your fresh air source. There's another thing wrong too: your catch can is open to the atmosphere via the filter mounted on top of it. That filter needs to be removed and that port sealed. Right now it's just functioning as a vacuum leak for the engine.

CarlC
09-26-2011, 06:21 AM
I agree with jp. Reroute as he notes.

Also, it looks like the hose that is draped near the passenger side header should be moved upward. It's hard to tell by the pics but 2" is not enough distance between the hose and the header tube, especially when the hose is above the tube.

Tony_SS
09-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Good points... a filter needs to be on the inside of the can to catch the oil residue. I think I read where people are using steel wool? Again I don't want too much in the way so the vacuum is able to activate the PCV valve. I guess I can always put a vacuum gauge on to make sure it's pulling the correct amount before vs after.

I'll move that breather to the pass valve cover for the clean air source... Thanks again.

blacklab
09-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Not to highjack the tread
John how about a pvc system for a ls3 motor? using say a Mike Norris catch can

Thanks
Scott

neki67
09-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Not to highjack the tread
John how about a pvc system for a ls3 motor? using say a Mike Norris catch can

Thanks
Scott

Scott,

how about this: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?82106-Need-help-with-LS3-Connections

ironcampig
09-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I know someone here has pictures of a decent catch/can oil breather system!

Mike Norris
10-01-2011, 07:58 AM
There are a couple picstures of my catch can on my website and there are a few floating around here also. John may also have some pictures on how he did his on a carb'd manifold on II Much.

Kyle and Stacy from DSE are now using my units on their cars as well as their projects and stocking them for sale as an FYI.

Let me know if you need any help.

Mike Norris

parsonsj
10-03-2011, 06:06 AM
John how about a pvc system for a ls3 motor? using say a Mike Norris catch canThe only thing different on an LS3 is that the PCV valve is in the valley cover. Otherwise the plumbing is the same: one valve cover has a filtered fresh air intake, and the PCV valve is connected to engine vacuum, with a Norris catch can between the PCV and the vacuum source.

I've got a 69 Camaro here at the house that we've been knocking off all the little bugs that come with a full-on build with that exact setup but without one of Mike's catch cans. The car has several hundred miles on it now... and no dripping, no smoking, and it'll be good to go for a very long time.

parsonsj
10-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Here's a pic of II Much -- though the Norris catch can is out of sight to the lower left. Look at the two 6AN Pro-Lite hoses that seem to go to the air filter. The upper one comes from the passenger side valve cover and is connected to the air filter via a nipple. That's the fresh air inlet for the PCV system. The other hose is connected to the intake manifold where it gets engine vacuum. That hose comes from the output of the catch can (out of view in the photo to the lower left). The other hose that runs parallel to the engine vacuum hose is the output of the PCV/input of the catch can. You can see the connection of the hose to the PCV on the far right of the photo.

Hope that helps.

vanzuuk1
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Does anyone have a link to a diagram of this? I want to be sure I am reading the photo correctly.