PDA

View Full Version : What makes a SS flex brake line DOT?

Skip Fix
09-23-2011, 12:46 PM
So what's the difference in a DOT vs a race line?

PonchoJohn
09-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Skip,
I believe it's something called a Whip Test. The line is subjected to immense stress and whipping about to ensure it doesn't come apart.

BulldawgMusclecars
09-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Poncho is right. It doesn't mean that a hose that doesn't have it is unsafe, just that the manufacturer didn't pay to have it tested. I'd stick with DOT stuff just to be safe on a street car, though.

Skip Fix
09-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks.

So your dad's 61 in the picture have a 348 in it?

BulldawgMusclecars
09-24-2011, 01:59 PM
My dad's '60? It was a 348, with 12.5:1 Jahns pistons and a solid cam. The coolest thing about the car, to me, was the widended steel wheels in the rear...built by a local drag racer named Ronnie Sox. I wish he still had it, but its pretty cool seeing it on TV from time to time.

Randy67
09-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Skip, Kore3 has DOT SS braided lines. See here http://www.kore3.com/categories.php?cat=10

The FAQ on the Kore3 site mentions DOT compliant FMVSS-106, so here is what the test says from the gov standard

Standard No. 106 - Brake Hoses - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, and Motorcycles, and Hydraulic, Air, and Vacuum Brake Hose, Brake Hose Assemblies, and Brake Hose End Fittings for use in those vehicles (Effective 1-1-68)
This standard establishes performance and labeling requirements for hydraulic, air, and vacuum brake hoses, brake hose assemblies, and brake hose fittings for all motor vehicles. The purpose of this standard is to reduce brake system failure from pressure or vacuum loss due to hose or hose assembly rupture.

It doesn't really say what the standard is on that site so it doesn't fully answer your question. The whip test is what I hear the most about. Curious if anyone knows what the whip test actually is?

John Wright
09-26-2011, 07:10 AM
just a note: SpeedwayMotors.com also has DOT SS flex lines (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/DOT-Approved-Stainless-Steel-Brake-Hose,5059.html?parentDisplayId=41746). I used them on my car.

dipren443
09-26-2011, 07:19 AM
My dad's '60? It was a 348, with 12.5:1 Jahns pistons and a solid cam. The coolest thing about the car, to me, was the widended steel wheels in the rear...built by a local drag racer named Ronnie Sox. I wish he still had it, but its pretty cool seeing it on TV from time to time.

As in THE Ronnie Sox?

Apogee
09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
The most common failure point for braided stainless brake hose assemblies is at the fitting during the "Whip Test" due to work hardening of the stainless wires leading ultimately to broken wires which then serve to errode and puncture the teflon tube that it's supposed to be reinforcing. There have been several methods by which various companies have achieved DOT compliance over the years, some of which are inherent to the hose and fiting designs and others which are added to the hose assembly during construction, such as the urethane collars where the hose and fittings are swaged together.

Tobin
KORE3

Skip Fix
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
I've been making and buying some specific fitting pre made ones for the drag car, as well as plumbing the pressure gauges and had just noticed some said non DOT.

Thanks for all the explanations.

Skip Fix
09-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Reminds me of the old Devo song "Whip It".

TheJDMan
09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Tobin,
I suspect there a mis-type on this page?
http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10122

Specifically, I assume the line kit includes two front lines, two rear lines and a drop line. But that's not what the page lists in the kit.

Apogee
10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Tobin,
I suspect there a mis-type on this page?
http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10122

Specifically, I assume the line kit includes two front lines, two rear lines and a drop line. But that's not what the page lists in the kit.

Typo...you're correct, it includes (2) fronts, (2) rears and (1) rear center hose and hardware. Thanks for the heads up.

Tobin
KORE3

LS6 Tommy
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
The makeup of the liners of race braided brake lines vs. DOT is also somewhat different. Race brake lines are considered to have a somewhat limited lifespan & are periodically replaced.

Tommy

MonzaRacer
10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Goodridge sells dot lines I believe