PDA

View Full Version : 72 Formula - What color???

OLDFLM
06-29-2005, 06:22 AM
Have an opportunity to have a great painter in Denver repaint my 72 Formula... the big question is what color?

Let me know what you think... I'd like to get it done soon...
V/R,
Ty

Piet
06-29-2005, 07:08 AM
Before I vote... what kind of look are you going for?
By default.... I am a fan of keeping 'near' original color. So.....
GM code 72 - Brilliant Red Metallic (burgundy) with flat black T/A Stripes

When it comes to custom paint... I am currently a fan of two tones for older cars.
Black top, silver bottom?

So....

OLDFLM
06-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Here are a couple of photochopped ideas...

Piet
06-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Ooooo The Sunset Orange Metallic... very nice

JoshStratton
06-29-2005, 10:18 AM
I was planning on doing a burnt orange color as well, but once Steve's new Camaro arrived, I realized EVERYONE was going to do it. It is just like silver was a five years ago. I did a car in 1999 Mercedes Metallic Silver and next thing you know EVERYONE has it. No matter what you choose, it will be overdone...must be Murphy's law of painting a car.

I have always LOVED the color on your car. I think it is pretty sweet. In fact, I used to hate red cars until I saw that burgundy on yours. What about that original color with a couple of greyish-charcoal racing stripes down the middle?

OLDFLM
06-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the complements!! I like the GM code 72 too!
I've thought about keeping my burgundy and just adding a black T/A stripe up the middle of the hood!
V/R,
Ty

I've got a chopped photo done that way but it's too big to post here.

yody
06-29-2005, 08:56 PM
i voted red, BTW nice wheels........:)

indyjps
06-29-2005, 11:26 PM
i like the two tone. the stripe looks too busy with two tone to me. i love burnt orange and bronze but think they will get played out soon. i like the color that on it now. might look into a solid color with a stripe in pearl.

Piet
06-30-2005, 11:07 AM
I am torn between Sunset Orange and
your current burgandy with black T/A Striping

After seeing the two tone w/ the hood scoops... I would stay solid color

CAMAROBOY69
06-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Pick basicaly whatever color you want. I picked silver over 5 years ago before anyone had it and I had never even heard of the Mule yet. Now more and more people have it but you know what. Who cares. I am still painting my car silver. It just takes me longer because I dont have the money that others have to get my car finished before they do. I picked the orange color for your car even though everyone is going to paint their car that color. Thats what color our 67 Mustang is going to be. So I guess we wil have 2 outdated colored cars. :lmao:

indyjps
06-30-2005, 11:55 PM
no jab intended about the color choice. im painting my 69 camaro dark blue, its been done a million times but thats what i want.
choose the paint you like. best of luck finding a painter that can get it done and back to you before the end of the decade.

formula
07-01-2005, 09:07 PM
black?

granted, it 's been done...but ooooh i love black.

if not black, SOM would be pretty slick...

i like the two-tone idea, but i say axe the center stripe if you go that route.

where are you getting it painted? i'm from denver.

a73formula
07-02-2005, 02:51 PM
I've been wanting to repaint mine black and then do a silver ghost 70-72 trans am stipe with the bird on the nose.

myclone
07-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Cant go wrong with sinister black unless of course you want the mags to take pics of it. If thats the case then pick red, orange, or any other color thats light.

Roger Poirier
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure what the factory color it is called. It was a factory Pontiac Trans Am color of red/slight burgundy with metallic in it. It came out in either 1972 or 1973. Absolute down right awesome color. Would make your car look sweet while still retaining a color of that era. R.P.

Zee
07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Hey Ty, Steve here. How did the headers work out?? BTW I voted the original color for yours but I am looking at Red for mine.

Bigblue73
07-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey - I voted the orange. How about the striped being a "candied orange / red" that will be as subtle as ghosting but visible in direct light. Nice looking car though.

Piet
07-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I finally voted.... C6 Sunset Orange Metallic .
It just look sweet.

ViperBlue68
07-14-2005, 03:33 PM
go with the White with the Blue stripes I love the T/As with that combo. :fingersx: