PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about these wheels for a vintage stang?

Stangonline.com
06-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Sorry Brian, I used one of your pics for this :)

Ive always liked a mix of new and old. While the color of Brians coupe doesnt really match the wheels - I could imagine the car in silver would make it look like a better match.

Thinking about this for my fastback.

Jeff

67Sally
06-28-2005, 06:05 PM
After the first pict (white car) I was saying "nope...not for me" but after looking at all of your photo chops my opinion changed. With the right color combo the wheels seem to work (bronze car) for me.
W.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3945

Stangonline.com
06-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Here - I took a little of the blue color that was in the wheels out - looks a bit better.

Its an OEM wheel, which is what I like (and cheap, which wasnt a pre-requisite, but still a nice side effect). Ford also makes them in a nice silver paint finish.

Jeff

Bill Howell
06-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Ditto what 67Sally said. I like them on the darker cars, especially on the dark gray one. :icon996:

Roger Poirier
06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
What about the type, style used on Boyds Crazy Horse Mustang?
If paint is going to be silver, what about chrome rims? Fuel for thought.
R.P.

THX 138
06-28-2005, 07:42 PM
how did that guy fit 17x9s on the front or are they photoshop??? I wanted to put those wheels.

Stangonline.com
06-29-2005, 02:37 AM
Roger: I don't remember what Boyds car had on it. He irritates me, so I don't really watch anything with him in it :) Im not a fan of chrome wheels - don't know why. :dunno:

THX 138: Thats photoshop. I am looking into what mods (other than flares) would allow me to use the 17x9 in the front. If I need to, I'll narrow the fronts to 17x8.

Jeff

gbeals
06-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Nice photoshop. I too use his car to mock up wheels. His stance is perfect! My only constructive crit. is that these older cars look SOOoooo much better with a little dish on the wheels. But I do like how they look - It would be a good alternative is price is your concern.

Piet
06-29-2005, 07:10 AM
Ditto what 67Sally and Bill Howell said.

phonedude_mln
06-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Ditto what 67Sally and Bill Howell said.

I'll offer the dissenting opinion... I think they look too modern. Brian's 67 coupe is
awesome and makes any wheel look half-way decent. But the photoshop wheels
don't even begin to touch the Vintage Wheel Works wheels that he has on there....

wantahertzdonut
06-29-2005, 08:53 AM
I think they look good. I'm sick of seeing Magnum 500's and Torque Thrust 2's on the vintage cars, there ARE other choices out there. It's especially nice to see something other than a 5 spoke wheel on there too.

BUT, you MUST go with a car color other than silver. A silver car with grey wheels is pretty bland. That orange on the other hand looked good.

Stangonline.com
06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Im pretty stuck on a silverish car though. This is my last car - I thought it looked pretty mean.

I would also consider the silver version of the same wheel.

I agree on Brians car - it's plain sick. Just thought I would try to do something a little different. Its either these or a $3000 set of Fikse...ouch.

Jeff

kmcanally
06-29-2005, 02:03 PM
You pic chopped these same wheels on my coupe a few months back....I am in the middle of changing out the Cobra R's to some black FR500's....I tried the 18x9 on the front but they hit the upper control arms just like the 17x9 R's did before I had them narrowed. So I am off to get another pair of wheels narrowed! On the back I am going to run the deep dish 18x10 with a 295/35 tire....based on the fit of the current 275/40-17 tire and the 315/35-17 tire I bought for mock up they should fit fine....I beleive that a 295 tire is the absolute most tire that will fit under these cars (67/68 anyways) without a coil-over and minitub conversion.

Ralph LoGrasso
06-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Those are great looking wheels, I say go for it. Those are the optional wheels on '03/04 cobras, correct? I'd go with those, or the FR500 wheels. Both in the anthracite/dark grey finish.

chufham
06-29-2005, 02:33 PM
With the copper color I think they look great IMO

Stangonline.com
06-30-2005, 03:17 AM
You pic chopped these same wheels on my coupe a few months back....I am in the middle of changing out the Cobra R's to some black FR500's....I tried the 18x9 on the front but they hit the upper control arms just like the 17x9 R's did before I had them narrowed. So I am off to get another pair of wheels narrowed! On the back I am going to run the deep dish 18x10 with a 295/35 tire....based on the fit of the current 275/40-17 tire and the 315/35-17 tire I bought for mock up they should fit fine....I beleive that a 295 tire is the absolute most tire that will fit under these cars (67/68 anyways) without a coil-over and minitub conversion.

Yeah, I remember - your car is sooo clean looking.

Are there any suspension setups that you know of that will clear the front with 17x9s? Really trying to make that work but I have a feeling that I will be doing the same thing (narrowing).

Jeff

kmcanally
06-30-2005, 03:52 AM
Yeah, I remember - your car is sooo clean looking.

Are there any suspension setups that you know of that will clear the front with 17x9s? Really trying to make that work but I have a feeling that I will be doing the same thing (narrowing).

Jeff

My car has GW upper arms....so I am not sure if the stock arms would clear 18x9's. Also not sure about anyone elses parts either. However, it seems that unless the spindle height changes any arms will hit it short of changing over to one of the Mustang II suspension conversions like they have at www.martzchassis.com. With a setup like this a 9" wheel would be perfect for one of these cars...maybe even with a 275 tire.

Stangonline.com
06-30-2005, 04:09 AM
As I understand it, the M2 suspension clears up a lot of space but results in less performance and mor body roll. Anyone?

I've seen GW parts for my friends Chevelle, and they are definately "meaty". Stockers are pretty big too though. I've been asking around - I'll let you know what I find out.

Jeff

kmcanally
06-30-2005, 01:40 PM
As I understand it, the M2 suspension clears up a lot of space but results in less performance and mor body roll. Anyone?

I've seen GW parts for my friends Chevelle, and they are definately "meaty". Stockers are pretty big too though. I've been asking around - I'll let you know what I find out.

Jeff

Not too sure how the M2 design compares to the original design with stock or aftermarket arms. I know that jparsons ditched his M2 for a custom design but he is interested in absolute maximum handling performance.

Stangonline.com
06-30-2005, 04:40 PM
http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0505phr_susp/

Some good shots and interesting comments.

Jeff

kmcanally
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
I imagine that the M2 design is an improvement over the original Mustang design. Would it be ideal if you were building a competitive race car for ultimate handling? Probably not....but we are not building race cars either...

Stangonline.com
07-05-2005, 04:59 PM
True, but what I want is a partial race car for the street :) I would like to at least keep up with some of the high-performance stock Euro offerings - with the obvious trade-off of ride quality. :(

Jeff

kmcanally
07-05-2005, 06:32 PM
with the obvious trade-off of ride quality. :(
Jeff

It would be nice to be able to have the handling and the ride quality of a late performance car...

a number of years back a mag did a test on a early Mustang with a full GW suspension and nearly got 1.0G...not sure what tires they were running though...I am sure it was a buck board ride like my coupes going to be...

Did you already sell your late model coupe? Did you keep the anniversary wheels that were on it? I think those wheels look real good on whats his names copper colored coupe...

kmcanally
07-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Jeff....I posted a pic of a black FR500 (sans tire) on the front of my coupe in another thread

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7996

I am interested in your opinion...thanks

Stangonline.com
07-06-2005, 06:07 AM
I dont usually like that wheel but it looks nice on your car in that photoshop.

Jeff