PDA

View Full Version : What color/s should I paint my 70 Lemans Convertible? Money for the best design!!!

Nemesis RR
09-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a 1970 Lemans Convertible. I have no idea what color or colors I should have the car painted so I have decided to ask for help. The car is now in grey primer so no limits. Also I am curious if a 2 color can be tastefully done.

Now a few limitations:

The convertible top cannot be white as I do not want to deal with keeping it white.

The front chrome bumper will be body color.

I do not want red as I already own a 2006 Red GTO.

I will probably go with a black interior.

I need to see a pic of it as I am horrible at visualizing.

NOW THE GOOD PART. If I choose your color scheme I will send you $25 by check or paypal.

Please help.

Tom Welch
09-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Paint it black with an outline of the Judge stripes either painted in 'ghost' technique or something like a red or pale yellow pinstripe, keep it simple, the body already has a unique look and two tone looks out of place on it.

68Formula
09-15-2011, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't worry about the white top. I didn't do anything with mine for over 7 years after I bought the car. Most of that time it stayed relatively nice without any upkeep other than the usual car wash. It really started to get ugly after I was forced to keep the car outside under a tarp for nearly two years in high heat/humidity (moldy and dirty). I bought some stuff used to clean mold off of vinyl for boats. Took a few applications and some elbow grease great but after a couple hours the top went from looking like it needing replacing (I was literally pricing replacement costs) to looking brand new.

And since something of that cleaning magnitude has diluted bleach in it, I have to wonder what it would do trying to use it to clean a black top. Also, I've seen black tops fade over time, but my white top is back to bright white. I'm not sure what you can do to bring the color back for a black top.

Black is not the best color for an interior either IMHO. When you have the top down (and even when it's up) all that black is heating up from the sun making all the surfaces hot. A white interior feels much much cooler (both in temperature and looks, LOL). You'll be able to spend more time driving with the top down and the A/C off (assuming you even have A/C to turn on).

Nemesis RR
09-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Paint it black with an outline of the Judge stripes either painted in 'ghost' technique or something like a red or pale yellow pinstripe, keep it simple, the body already has a unique look and two tone looks out of place on it.

I like the ghost judge stripes but not black

zipsimons
09-23-2011, 05:22 AM
If you like loud I think the new Fj cruiser blue would look insane.. kind of a grabbed blue but richer. Just solid with black top and interior. Super loud non metallic colors just fit this car

damannhw
09-23-2011, 05:43 AM

How about Matte black with slightly glossier black (maybe satin) Judge stripes. Then a set of dark centered rims with brushed lips !

Nemesis RR
09-23-2011, 11:26 AM
How about Matte black with slightly glossier black (maybe satin) Judge stripes. Then a set of dark centered rims with brushed lips !

Love the idea but black is to dirty.

dontlifttoshift
09-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Lavender with mauve judge stripes......

Z06killinSBF
09-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Satin Charcoal gray with black Judge stripe?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/09/P1000691654x491-1.jpg

nekkidhillbilly
09-25-2011, 10:25 AM
a metallic green with pewter metallic judge stripes

RaceMan
09-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Funny I've got the same car and same problem, I'm going with a new gm color cyber gray metalic and a black top . We should be painting it next weekend. It took me a while to figure it out and I was going to go with a bright yellow and black top. Good Luck !!!! Here's the yellow I was looking at and a pic of mine.4950749508

Chris 68
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Before you pick a color you should decide what kinda "look" you are going for IMHO. You want old school, new school or something in the middle? That will also dictate what kind of wheels you will have. Do you have the rims already? Or at-least picked out? Post a picture of the rims if you do.

Tom Welch
10-08-2011, 11:38 AM
I change my choice to cyber gray, I'm looking at a 2011 corvette in this color and i really like it.

LeighP
10-09-2011, 09:07 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/10/69gtorav-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

This is the Royal Pontiac Ram Air V paint scheme.....looks pretty darned good on an A body. Choose your two colours.

LeighP
10-09-2011, 09:10 AM
PS...what is it with the current trend to paint a car grey???? Its like the 2010 version of pastel colours in the 90's......its going to date the car.

Nemesis RR
10-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I am looking to have a car that will look classy but that screams muscle. But something I would be embarrased to take to a nice restaurant.

I am also looking at the a grey. It is the 2011 Nissan Armada Platinum Grey.

tazzz25906112
10-10-2011, 04:18 AM
If you have a white top and interior options it would be pretty darn cool in Celestial Blue Mica (Mazda 3 color) and white interior top.... All the curves and hood scoops would really jump with that paint and the interior would be very comfortable in the summer heat.....

Nemesis RR
10-11-2011, 06:06 PM
If you have a white top and interior options it would be pretty darn cool in Celestial Blue Mica (Mazda 3 color) and white interior top.... All the curves and hood scoops would really jump with that paint and the interior would be very comfortable in the summer heat.....

very cool idea. I wonder if Judge Stripes would work?

nacnac
12-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Sounds like you're trying to get a rendering done for free. In my opinion, it's worth it to pay a professional. It may cost you a few hundred but the people that do them have an eye for that stuff. That's how they can make a living doing it. I had one done and couldn't have dreamt the color scheme my guy (Bob Thrash) came up with. Just my opinion.

nekkidhillbilly
12-04-2011, 08:48 AM
a kobalt blue with satin gray stripes

fsted
12-04-2011, 04:40 PM
lucerne blue 71 lemans gt stripes painted on peal white. parchment interior. had a hard top like this sharp car wish i had some pics. good luck ED