PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help fast. 1979 Trans Am 4 speed

Frank ZX
09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1979 Trans Am. The guy is asking $15000 for the car which is extremely high. I can get it for $11000. I know that stilll seems high but it's a factory 400, 4 speed, 4 wheel wheel disc brake car with T-tops.
NADA.com list the car at low retail for $12000 Here is the link.http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1979/Pontiac/Firebird/Trans-Am-2-Door-Coupe/Values
There are alot of new parts on the car including decals, front seat covers, front bushings, ball joints, and miscellaneous other parts.
The bad: It needs a tail light assy, paint has some scratches but shiny, T top seals, and some of the interior trim is in bad shape.
Now keep in mind it's a 4 speed and I'm having a hard time finding one.
I'm going to give the car a 7 on a 1-10 scale. Should I buy it or walk?

Frank ZX
09-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I wanted to add, there is no rust what so ever or body damage, just paint chips. The engine has been rebuilt and the owner said it has a 461 stoker kit. I drove the car and though it felt strong, it didn't feel like 461 cu in.
He is going to call me tonight so I have to make up my mind to buy it or pass. I know these cars are going up in value but I'm not sure if they have went up this high yet?

BulldawgMusclecars
09-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Sounds high to me...especially for a '79 (always liked 77-78s so much better). A 461 stroker might influence me, if the car looked really good, but I'd be asking for receipts. If he doesn't have them, I wouldn't believe it.

Frank ZX
09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Actually to be honest, I was going to trade my 06 Harley Wide Glide for the car. My bike is worth about $10000, but I'm not sure I could get that much out of my bike. The late model Harley or atleast the Wide Glides are dropping in value. Another year and my bike will be worth 9500.
It seems like the TA's are going up in value?
I have been collecting 351W parts and bought a set of $2K heads for for the 351. Being I have not opened them, I can return them and if I get the TA, I was going to trade them in on a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. I figured they could be worth 50-75HP over the stock heads. I have alot of other new SBF parts I was planning on selling to build the TA like I want. They look so good with the really wide 18" snow flake wheels. I just don't want to make a mistake on getting this car. I have already planned on spending money on it. I have tried to trade my bike for other nice F body cars with no luck. What to do, What to do?

showa
09-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Sounds like you answered your own question. If YOU like it and he'll trade, then go for it. The deal is good if you are happy with it. If you payed $50,000 for the Bird and liked it then it is a good deal for YOU. Unless you are planning to speculate on the the car's future value, it is worth whatever makes you happy.

An example, I know I paid probly twice what my 240Z was actually worth at the time, but I am happy with it and that's all that matters. I'm not looking to make a killing at an auction or anything when I am done working on it. I plan to beat the crap outta it and have fun.

Frank ZX
09-13-2011, 03:14 AM
I looked at the TA again yesterday. The real eye sores are the rear package tray and gas cap door. Both parts are cheap. I told him to give me til Friday to make my mind up.
A mint 4 speed TA is going for $20K plus. If I trade him my bike, it's like I'm giving him $10K.
Even though I feel like it's too much I'm hoping the car goes up in value even as a Pro Touring car? Has anyone seen Telly's gold TA? He's asking $80K for it!!
I'm not planning building a TA near Telly's gold TA but I do plan on a aluminum headed 400, 18" reproduction TA wheels with 335/30-18 rear tires,275/45-18 front tires, and nice suspension. The car would have to be repainted, and a few trim pieces replaced. I know a car is NOT a good investment, but cars and bikes have been my passion since a small boy, and at 40 yrs old, I'm not going to change now. I guess I'm hoping someone will talk me into it.LOL
I have owned 3, 2nd gen TA's and 3, 2nd gen Z28's, all when I was alot younger and they were dirt cheap! I got into Mustangs years ago and lost interest in the GM cars. I have a huge connection at a speed shop and GM parts are a dime a dozen compaired fords parts. Also as you all know, there are a bigger selection of GM parts compaired to Ford parts.
Another weird thing about the TA is he has the window sticker and the car came blue exterior with red interior.What a ugly combo, but I'm sure it's very rare. The exterior is now red. It has the factory Hurst shifter, Fisher T tops,WS6/W72? option. From my research, The 4 speed/400 cars were fairly rare considering many got crushed,wrecked,etc. Most came with the 403 Olds engine and Auto trans.
I'm sorry for all the rambling. Just trying to make the right decision. I have never paid this much for a old car. Just looking for others to give their input.
Thanks,
Frank

MonzaRacer
09-13-2011, 09:51 AM
If it looks good in all the rust places a refrigerator magnet sticks to the normally bad areas IE no bondo, and it runs good a 79 w 400 is RARE and 4spd even more, as you say your losing money on harley, the car should go up in value, since you are into getting ride of bike I would take it as your not into riding as much/willing to find cheaper bike down road if you want to ride.
Again if all the pieces fit and car fits your choice then it cant be all bad.

dadto2jays
09-13-2011, 10:25 AM
It will be a heck of alot easier to sell that car than selling your harley in case you change your mind after you trade. going based on what you said that car is worth 12k here in miami. It literally took me almost two years to sell my streetglide which is the hottest harley at the moment mainly because I was not going to give it away so it worked out for me.

WS6
09-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a good deal for a 79TA as just a car and not a 400/4 speed car. The reason I say this is only factory correct 400/4speed cars are desirable and bring the big money. The people willing to pay good money on those cars do not tolerate changes. That's just the market on the car. To me though, it sounds like a solid deal if you trade straight up. The car will increase in value.

68Formula
09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/09/imagesqtbnANd9GcR4AbcOOZJQc1wqPCNVv8HpFO-1.jpg

Ishmael
09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
If the frame and body are solid and the engine has good compression then go for it. You'll get the harley off your hands. Don't expect to make money though.

mc84_zz4
09-13-2011, 02:15 PM
If the car is solid, the little details only take a little effort, floor rust kills time & budget.
The bike is just collecting dust anyway... Get the beast!

Frank ZX
09-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm going to get it Friday. It looks like the car had a mini restoration several years ago. The subframe is painted silver but looks like it was removed before painting. Floors and trunk are solid. It is far from a perfect car but I don't think it will take much time or money to make it a nice driver. I don't care for show cars! Cars are made to drive, not haul around. Thanks for everyone's input.

LeighP
09-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Good luck with it....W72/WS6 79's are the pick of the crop...the last big cube 4 speed trans ams.....

Takid455
09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
I have 4 77-78 4 spd T/A's waiting for a new home. Some have T tops. Def cheaper than the one you mentioned. PM for info.

CreepinDeth
09-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm not big on the late 70's weak power plants...and considering this is a pro-touring forum.
I put modern drivetrains, suspensions, brakes and OD transmissions in everything.
So that "All original, and rare" sales pitch actually does nothing for me. In fact it deters me.

My boss just picked up very nice all original 79 Trans Am Anniversary Edition for $16,000 for his wife.
Engine bay wasn't pretty, but the paint and decals were mint, and the interior was a 7 out of 10.
No rust at all on the car whatsoever. He won't touch it because it's all original......that would drive me nuts.

WS6
09-23-2011, 07:47 AM
It would drive me nuts too if I didn't have something else to tinker with. However, consider this, before the economy tanked and classic cars were getting out of hand value wise, the TATA's(Tenth Anniversary Trans Am) were some of the fastest appreciating cars out there without being in the stratosphere cost wise. This included both the 400 and 403 cars with the 400s being worth more. Point being, they are a good investment over the long run that do not cost a ridiculous amount to obtain like a 69 camaro or any Hemi Mopar.