PDA

View Full Version : Spindle or NO Spindle

68BNUT
08-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Ok whats with the kits with NO new spindles??? Im just looking for a kit to get rid of the 4 wheel death I mean drum brakes?? If im just getting a basic disc brake set up do I really need to go ahead and change spindles?? Also has anybody used the kits sold by mats classic bowties off of the net or e-bay???? Ive been reading this site for awhile and im sure im gonna here about wilwoods and brembos but im not really sure i need the 1500$ front only kinda brakes. Thanks any help or advice will be apreciated :box:

MrQuick
08-31-2004, 06:54 PM
Hey there, most brake kits out there use the drum spindle so replacing them isn't necassary.A nice C5 front kit should work fine.

68BNUT
08-31-2004, 07:12 PM
A nice C5 kit?? as in from the salvage yard?? I was kinda wondering if anybody had purchased any kits that werent wilwood and over a grand just for the fronts??? :dunno:

MrQuick
08-31-2004, 11:02 PM
it doesn't have to be j yard stuff, you can buy all the stuff you need rebuild or new.Im not famillar with the e bay stuff your talking about so I can't comment. New calipers, Eradi Speed rotor, a bracket and necassary hardware would be less than a grand. Some of us have bought a caliper/rotor kit for $499 then $60 for a bracket and $45 for hoses.All used on the stock drum spindle. Search around here and you should be able to come up with front brakes you'll like with out selling a kidney. Even the Baer C5 based set is over a grand.

68BNUT
09-02-2004, 07:34 AM
OK so I can get some C4 or C5 rotors and Calipers but what about the braketry??? Cant seem to find anything or anywere that will sell me a bracket just for that??? also cant find anywere on here were someone has shared the bracket macking secret?? for a 68 camaro drum brake spindles just in case anyone has done it already and has spare brakets layin around??:secret:

hotdog
09-02-2004, 07:37 AM
look in the old forum under cheap brakes. there is alot of info on this.

MrQuick
09-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Try here for info, but this is for the C4 12 and 13" brake set up. I believe he has a link for the brackets. Check on David Pozzi's site fot brackets also http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html

jjump59
09-03-2004, 12:58 PM
touringclassics.com will sell you the brackets or any thing else you need to do a c4 12 inch or a c5 13 inch deal. very affordable too! don't know what you have for wheels so be careful and make sure the brakes you chose will fit.

yody
09-03-2004, 07:56 PM
check out my page;
http://geocities.com/codybouc/caliperpage.html

68BNUT
09-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Yea Ive got a 68 camaro with drum brakes all the way around dont know if the 2nd gen swap is much help,,,, Has anybody whos done the C4 swap did you have to grind your hubs down???

jjump59
09-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Did the C5 on mine and had to turn them. Friend with brake lathe let me use it. I turned the drum brake bit over and cut away, it was easy so don't let that stop you. Sorry not sure if the C4 rotor is same inside diameter.

boodlefoof
09-08-2004, 03:38 PM
There is a company called "touring classics" that sells C4 and C5 Corvette brake upgrade kits. Very good option for getting big brakes without paying as much as for Baer.

CarlC
09-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Yea Ive got a 68 camaro with drum brakes all the way around dont know if the 2nd gen swap is much help,,,, Has anybody whos done the C4 swap did you have to grind your hubs down???

Yes, the outside diameter of the stock hub must be turned in a lathe to fit the stock C4 rotor.

68BNUT
09-09-2004, 10:38 AM
what years were the C4 vette in production?? (help look for parts) anybody got any idea?? thanks for all the info so far :confused:Never mind I figured that one out,, Now anybody in the DFW area know were I can get my hubs turned down??? I called the auto machine shop and he thinks im nuts trying to mount a disc brake caliper to my drum spindle<<<< I think he wasnt getting the HUB part?? oh well