PDA

View Full Version : dry sump system questions

wicked68
09-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I noticed that you can buy a lot of used nascar parts on ebay including dry sump systems,

Anyone have any experience with a dry sump system - seems pretty straight forward - a tank - a pump and a pan built for or adapted for dry sump fittings.

they have some really nice tanks that are very cheap on there - cant imagine a tank is an issue since its an aluminum container with no moving parts. Nice 5 stage weaver pumps also 0 assume would need to verify its not worn out but should b e able to be adapted for any pickups since they all run an fittings.

Thoughts - looks like good savings - about half price with really nice gear.

wicked68
09-07-2011, 08:08 AM
ok so I assume I will be the pioneer on this setup then,......

Pro Stock
09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Dry sump systems are great, make sure that you have room for the pump and tank, also allow for a drive system, the hidden cost is usually in the plumbing (braided hose, hose ends and fittings)

Dale

Bad94
10-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Is anyone running a dry sump on a SBC, in a pro touring car? Looking into it for my new set up.

Flash68
10-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I'd like to hear opinions on this as well. I like cruising the Nascar used parts sellers on ebay too. Roush Yates' website has a nice used parts section too. I got some darn near new Autometer gauges for half price.

I would eventually like to convert my 377 to dry sump also.

wicked68
10-06-2011, 07:21 AM
I just saw a cool alternative that I am going to try out that will be less expensive. a moroso or canton oil accumulator. Its about 200 and it sits on the pressure side of an oil line and accumulates oil and if you lose pressure in the line it will dump it back in the line and keep the pressure up.
Pretty cool idea. My builder tells me it works as well as a dry sump and is far less expensive. holds 3 quarts.

astroracer
10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I just saw a cool alternative that I am going to try out that will be less expensive. a moroso or canton oil accumulator. Its about 200 and it sits on the pressure side of an oil line and accumulates oil and if you lose pressure in the line it will dump it back in the line and keep the pressure up.
Pretty cool idea. My builder tells me it works as well as a dry sump and is far less expensive. holds 3 quarts.
Well, an accumulator is not a dry sump. A dry sump is used to reduce oil windage on high RPM engines. An accumulator does not do that as the engine will still be a wet sump.
Mark

Flash68
10-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Yep many guys are running it on here and tracking with it and the system works quite well.

wicked68
10-06-2011, 05:28 PM
how does a dry sump reduce windage? I thought only scrapers would do that? I am glad to know others have good luck with the accumulator. My symptoms are low oil pressure from time to time around hard corners - they tell me the accumulator will fix this cheaper than a dry sump system.

Flash68
10-06-2011, 05:33 PM
how does a dry sump reduce windage? I thought only scrapers would do that? I am glad to know others have good luck with the accumulator. My symptoms are low oil pressure from time to time around hard corners - they tell me the accumulator will fix this cheaper than a dry sump system.

I don't know the answer on dry sump helping with windage. What pan are you running? Is it a road race specific pan?

Pro Stock
10-06-2011, 08:28 PM
A dry sump system reduces windage by creating a vacuum in the crankcase, evacuating most of the oil in the pan and storing it in the dry sump tank. This leaves virtualy no oil or oil mist in the pan which also results in a gain in H.P. In order to make crankcase vac. with a dry sump system you need to eliminate the breathers and make sure that the engine is sealed up really tight. The power gains will be 20 to 35 H.P. depending on how efficient your wet sump pan is. You can also go the accumulator route and add a vac. pump. this is a cheaper alternative to the dry sump.

funcars
10-07-2011, 08:59 PM
There is a lot of work to get everything plumbed up and packaged - don't underestimate the time and effort.

Hope it works out.