PDA

View Full Version : Help with Late Model GM Fuel Sender Assembly Retrofit

HectorM52
08-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Okay, I got this great idea from a buddy of mine. He adapted a newer Silverado fuel sender assembly into a cheap RCI fuel cell that served an LT1 swap in a '49 Ford truck.

My retrofit is pretty similar. I've got the LT1 in my '85 S10. Cheap RCI fuel cell. And right now I have fueling issues when the fuel level goes low. Like anything near a quarter tank. Which is why I'm attempting this little project.

So I'm pretty positive the swap will work...but I need some assistance because I know next to nothing about the newer setups.

So I've numbered the pieces I am struggling with. After I figure out what they are I'll need to know how to integrate them into my system...if at all.

1) Return fuel port???
2) No clue???
3) Supply port
4) Filter????
5) Rollover something?? Evap something???

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/IMG_2478_640x480-1.jpg

Okay, so here are my thoughts...

Assuming that #1 is the return port, that'll be an easy one. I'll hook my return line there.
Assuming that #3 is the supply port, I'll hook that up to my supply line.

#2 - This has to have something to do with evap, I'm thinking. I am not running evap stuff...so my question is: CAN I ELIMINATE THIS PORT?

#4 - Is this a filter? If so I'll just replace it while I've got it apart.

#5 - Is this thing necessary?? My issue with that thing is that I need to "shorten" the entire setup. When I shove it down to make it shorter...this little blue thing contacts the stuff below. So my question is: IS THIS THING NECESSARY?

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME!!

HectorM52
08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
About to dig back into this one. Anyone know any facts?

Ollie8974
08-08-2012, 03:42 AM
I have several questions.
Is that the S 10 fuel pump module?
What is the diameter of the mounting hole in the fuel tank
How deep is the tank?
What is the ohm operating range of the fuel level sender and where is it mounted?
can you post a photo showing the other side of the top.
Using the fuel cell might be the problem.
Use the stock fuel tank if you still have it.
There is baffling in the stock tank that will prevent fuel starvation issues.

rallystyle
08-08-2012, 12:17 PM
that setup is for a returnless setup.
3 should be output
4 is filter/pressure regulator
1,2,5 are evap

jlcustomz
10-17-2012, 03:03 PM
You could research the possibility of swapping an entire late model plastic tank from a tbi or multiport donor. go with what the factory sorted out for internals, you,d just have to figure from what & where to mount to your application.
Wagon tanks generally have the fuel inlet on the side where many cars have it to the rear.

HectorM52
10-17-2012, 08:10 PM
You could research the possibility of swapping an entire late model plastic tank from a tbi or multiport donor. go with what the factory sorted out for internals, you,d just have to figure from what & where to mount to your application.
Wagon tanks generally have the fuel inlet on the side where many cars have it to the rear.

Thanks, but I'm stuck with what I have got unless I want to get back into "structural" work to make some sort of different tank work. I had a brace and mounting setup made for this cell...plus my exhaust is routed around it. So back-tracking on tanks will cost me more time and money than I'm willing to shell out.

Did I go the right direction in the first place with the cell? Obviously not. Can I salvage the situation and make it work correctly...maybe better than a stock TBI or MPFI tank? Absolutely. Just need the answers to the above.

HectorM52
10-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Sorry, didn't see your reply before. My answers are embedded below in your quote.

I have several questions.
Is that the S 10 fuel pump module? ---No, it's from a later model 2500 truck.
What is the diameter of the mounting hole in the fuel tank. ---Stock, dunno.
How deep is the tank? ---Don't remember, but it's the RCI fuel cell in 20-gallon trim. Just the plain-jane aluminum box you can get from Summit.
What is the ohm operating range of the fuel level sender and where is it mounted? ---Stock Chevy. It's part of the cell.
can you post a photo showing the other side of the top. ---Top of what?
Using the fuel cell might be the problem. ---It's absolutely the problem. However, integrating this into the cell will solve that problem.
Use the stock fuel tank if you still have it. ---Can't, no room anymore. Too many mods, too little money.
There is baffling in the stock tank that will prevent fuel starvation issues. ---Not in an '85 S10 tank. The "self contained" fuel pump assembly will prevent my fuel starvation issues.

HectorM52
10-17-2012, 08:16 PM
that setup is for a returnless setup.
3 should be output
4 is filter/pressure regulator
1,2,5 are evap

FINALLY, these are the answers I've been looking for!!!! THANKS!!!!!

HectorM52
04-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Finally got my adapter installed into my cell today...

Wondering if this return-less system is the best system for my return-style LT1 system. I'm going to try it anyway. Will plug my return line into the evap port since I'm not running the evap anyway. I'm thinking that the fuel will help to "fill" the bucket down below which will solve the issue which started this little adventure in the first place.

HectorM52
04-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Still have to cut in the fuel filler neck. But we're getting there.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

HectorM52
04-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Getting there...