PDA

View Full Version : Big Block Chevy or LS1

Glock 18
08-26-2011, 04:53 AM
(1) What is the weight difference in a BBC w/aluminum heads / aluminum intake and a LS1?
(2) What modifications are necessary to get 450-500 HP out of the stock LS1?
(3) What is a ballpark figure on these modifications?
(4) And why are so many people going with LS engines these days?

Thanks for any answers. This is exactly what I'm considering doing - LS1/T56 instead of my BBC in my Chevelle. Thanks!

andrewb70
08-26-2011, 05:11 AM
(1) What is the weight difference in a BBC w/aluminum heads / aluminum intake and a LS1?
(2) What modifications are necessary to get 450-500 HP out of the stock LS1?
(3) What is a ballpark figure on these modifications?
(4) And why are so many people going with LS engines these days?

Thanks for any answers. This is exactly what I'm considering doing - LS1/T56 instead of my BBC in my Chevelle. Thanks!

1. My GTO dropped 300 pounds going from an aluminum headed/intake 502 to an L92/LS3.
2. The L92 in my GTO has a stock LS3 intake package and a LS7 cam. It makes 418RWHP, which is over 500hp at the crank.
3. A used LS7 cam was 150 bucks and I also installed dual springs and hardened pushrods for reliability. Total cost was about $500.
4. Because they kick a$$...

I drove my GTO to the drag strip and ran 12.50s @113MPH without making any changes and running 200 treadwear tires. I also completed a 4300 mile road trip in my GTO this summer that took me over the continental divide (12,000 feet) and I got 21 mpg.

Andrew

parsonsj
08-26-2011, 05:28 AM
(4) And why are so many people going with LS engines these days? The better question in this day and age is why would anyone ever use a BBC?

andrewb70
08-26-2011, 05:43 AM
The better question in this day and age is why would anyone ever use a BBC?

There is a place for big blocks, but certainly not in a pro-touring car with a goal of 500hp...

Andrew

Randy67
08-26-2011, 06:44 AM
4. LS engines are the hot ticket now, so you see alot of them going into cars, plus with the original small and big blocks no longer in production cars, they aren't everywhere anymore, the LS engines are. I would bet that in the world of hot rodding, including pro-touring, the old small block is still the most used engine, mainly for its cheap cost.

I would disagree, Big blocks do have a place in pro-touring cars as much as small blocks and LS engines do. Maybe not the ideal engine due to their size and weight, but they are not out of place IMHO.

parsonsj
08-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Let's be clear, since my good friend Andrew has muddied the waters. :)

I didn't say they had no place in PT cars, I asked why anybody would use them today. As of yet, no one has answered that question. As for Glock's questions, Andrew answered them nicely.

The only answer I can think of to my question is that your car already has a BBC, or you got a killer deal on a BBC. Otherwise, I can't think of a single reason why one would put one in their PT car.

edit: Final clarification: note that I've not said anything about a SBC. My so-called analysis is just about BBCs.

Yelcamino
08-26-2011, 06:58 AM

I didn't say they had no place in PT cars, I asked why anybody would use them today. As of yet, no one has answered that question. As for Glock's questions, Andrew answered them nicely.

The only answer I can think of to my question is that your car already has a BBC, or you got a killer deal on a BBC. Otherwise, I can't think of a single reason why one would put one in their PT car.

edit: Final clarification: note that I've not said anything about a SBC. My so-called analysis is just about BBCs.

My reason for choosing to stick with a BBC is because I like them, I'm familiar with them, and they make easy power. Yes they are outdated compared to LS engines, and there's no way in hell a BBC could get comparable MPG. But like I said, I like them - especially when they're spinning at 7000 rpm. :)

surnufz
08-26-2011, 07:37 AM
When Herb gets the aluminum BBC he's been planning, you LS boys better look out!

parsonsj
08-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Sounds great! I agree about 7000 rpm; that's a magical sound. I try to put my LS7 there as much as possible... it's good for the soul.

Randy67
08-26-2011, 08:16 AM

My only point of mentioning the SBC was that while it may seem the LS engines are everywhere, the old SBC is still the most popular engine out there. That will most likely change in the near future.

As for why go with the BBC, Herb and you put out the main reasons: Like them, have one already, got a great deal, or have a lot of the parts for one already. Or maybe you because just want to.

Plus, do we want it to be that in order to have a pro-touring GM car it has to have a LSx engine? Personally I like diversity, seeing different stuff being used. That's just my opinion. No disrespect intended to anyone.

parsonsj
08-26-2011, 08:29 AM
do we want it to be that in order to have a pro-touring GM car it has to have a LSx engine?Nobody said that until you did, lol. :) Of course not. The engine is really a secondary consideration. In general, the pro-touring movement is more about handling and braking than engine choices.

LSx engines, while common here online in PT.com, are still pretty rare in the world at large.

Yelcamino
08-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Nobody said that until you did, lol. :) Of course not. The engine is really a secondary consideration. In general, the pro-touring movement is more about handling and braking than engine choices.

LSx engines, while common here online in PT.com, are still pretty rare in the world at large.

That's for sure! On the rare occasion that we go to the local cruise, all the muscle era cars are still wearing 14 and 15 inch wheels with drum brakes and running the typical SBC with a Holley carb and Moroso chrome/anodized valve covers. People look at my cars like they're from Mars. The only cars with big wheels/brakes and LS engines are the modern GM muscle.

Yelcamino
08-26-2011, 08:42 AM
When Herb gets the aluminum BBC he's been planning, you LS boys better look out!

You tell 'em Bobby! The new block should shave about 130 lbs off the nose!

Glock 18
08-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow! I didn't expect so many responses so quick. Thanks to everybody, especially Andrew with the spot-on answers! Anybody else want to jump in with your opinion? I especially enjoy reading direct answers to my 4 questions. It really helps to convince me either way about installing a LS engine. Thanks again!

Yelcamino
08-26-2011, 02:04 PM

I found this link (http://www.35pickup.com/mulligan/weight.txt) with engine weight info. I don't know how old it is, but it helps answer part of your question.

BBC MK IV (all cast iron I assume) 685 lbs
BBC MK IV all aluminum 550 lbs

Now you just need to come up with the weight of a LSx engine.

Glock 18
08-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info Herb.

Vegas69
08-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Economically, a big block makes no sense today. I still like the look and sound of a big block vs. the lsx. The ease of large cubic inches certainly doesn't hurt either. You can build a 540 in a mild combo and make 700hp. It certainly isn't the easy or economical route. To answer your question JP, that's what we want under our hood! ha ha

therobski
09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Very interesting thread, Not only I'm still old school on my engine choice I'm building an orphan car-64 F-85 post car. I don't want go to the "dark side" with a newer GM motor other than an Olds BB. I'm going to build a 65 425 Starfire motor, all the machining, clearances, built to Olds specs. Goal is 475 HP. pull your shirt off Olds torque 530-550 lbs @ 5,800 RPM. In keeping my stealth look, motor will painted the early 442 motor bronze, may even extrude hone my later W-Z's exhaust manifolds in lieu of headers. I may loose some HP, but with motor build goal I will have plenty to spare. Pictured is my 455 that's in the 67
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/09/IMG_0337-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/DSCN1722-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/09/DSCN17231-1.jpg

analyte
09-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I guess I'm the odd duck out. My car previously had a BBC in it for the past 9 years.

When I decided to start upgrading the suspension, I also wanted better road manners to utilize my T56 more efficiently so EFI was needed to achieve my goals. Upon reviewing the different options, I quickly came to the opinion that I could buy and install a LSx in my car for the cost of a BBC EFI system. That made the decision easy for me, and I even sold the BBC at a good price to offset the cost of the swap.

Kerry

G-Rob
09-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Well this is not as cut and dried as it seems. What are your power goals and your budget? That is the deciding factor right there.

Under about 650hp, I'd say ls motor. But when you're shooting for big numbers, a BBC is the only way to go.

Peoples first objection is the weight. I don't think the weight is a big deal. First, an aluminum headed BBC weighs about the same as an iron headed sbc. Second that weight is mostly in the block, ie down low and mostly behind the front wheels, ie near the cars center of gravity.

I don't see why people get an ls engine and then throw an sc on it. They should just go BBC. The sc and intercooler is heavy, and that weight is carried up high. I bet if you ran the numbers, an sc'ed ls and a aluminum headed BBC would weigh about the same, and the BBC would carry that weight lower, which would potentially mean better handling.

Also, with the sheer size of the bores in a BBC the heads will flow better than any ls will. 400+cfm is pretty common for a BBC head, while 300cfm is about average for an ls head.

So in short, if you are on a budget ls all the way. If you have moderate power goals, ls all the way. But if you want something above and beyond - we're talking 800+ streetable hp, a built BBC is the best way to go. And with a good trans, it'll still return 16 mpg.

Food for thought.

6D9 Matt
09-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree... if you are looking for 650+ hp for a better price, you cant go wrong with BBC. If I was looking for 500-600 hp, then yeah I would probably consider an LSx setup.

Glock 18
09-12-2011, 06:49 PM
After MUCH deliberation and research, I've decided to go with a LS engine. I'm buying a 2004 GTO LS1 and T56 6-speed from Travis, one of our members here at PT.com. Future plans for the motor include a more aggressive cam swap, headers, and computer tune-up. I'm really hoping for a little over 500 HP when it's all said and done!

anthonys 69
09-16-2011, 09:33 PM
I like to be different but it depends on what you want the car to do if you want good gas mileage you need an ls motor. if you want pro touring handling and to be competitive you need ls motor. If you want that low muscle sound from the exhaust you need bb if you want to open the hood at a car show and that engine bay full of motor you need bb. To me big valve covers with 572 on them is just cool.

Tom5410
02-02-2013, 07:54 PM
I know this is an old thread but I have to throw my 2 cents in here. Everyone seems to forget about the cost involved in making a 1st Gen Camaro play well with a LS motor, especially a EFI one. Your talking a bunch more money (Fuel system, ECU, Wire harness, motor mounts, bell housing, new headers) than just an engine swap. Sure I can get a custom LS 416 built for around 11K and have 600+ Hp, but I can do that easily with a BBC and do not all the work and cost of making the thing fit and work. I am sure I am missing some things here, but my point is, lets not forget about the other cost involved than just the motor...

SDS MACHINING
02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
I love this thread, I have been asked why we went with a bbc a thousand times, based upon opinion only I give the following reasons,
Dual purpose track and strip application.
Big HP for money
No replacement for displacement if on the strip
Simply said nothing sounds like a bbc with a huge cam at idle or 6500+ rpm
I agree fully with the weight savings and the mpg you gain from LS.
Personal preference go with what you want.

camaro427-69
02-03-2013, 03:14 PM
i just had 2 seasons with my all aluminum 540 street roller and iīm swapping to an 418cui LS just for one reason and thatīs just reliability. iīm definitely trading horsepower and tons of torque but the ease of turning the key and being able to drive thousands of miles without thinking once about oil pressure/temperature/roller lifters die and also oil leaking. i never had any of those issues except of small oil leaks and i made around 6000miles and i even never had to adjust the solid rollers but now iīm really looking forward to do the first test drives with the LS. i could let you know in a couple months about the whole thing cause iīm planning dyno tests to compare both engines handling and powerwise :)

Tom5410
02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Wow,,, that 540 must be bad ass.. Are you selling it?? I could not agree more with SDS.. Forget about what everyone else is doing. Do what you think is cool and within your means. If I had my choice I would as well go with a built LS, just not in the cards...Yet!!
Let us know how your LS conversion goes. Good luck with your project.

Barrrf
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
LS Engines can make insane amounts of horsepower with boost. For N/A? Sure there is no replacement for displacement.

But before you go making crazy claims about Big Blocks making power for relatively low cost as compared to small LS motors please consider these articles -
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1102_chevrolet_5_3l_ls_budget_engine_build/viewall.html
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testing/sucp_0806_budget_ls_engine_buildup/viewall.html
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1104_594hp_53l_gen_iii_small_block_for_3252/viewall.html

And if you want to argue reliability -
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

Yes I agree you will lose the awesome grunt (torque) of a BBC and you wont have that window shattering rumble but SO? What do you gain though - Efficiency, reliability, commonality.

Im over carbs and oil leaks. Fill my car with electronics.

Completely unrelated - I have a 396 for sale :)

Tom5410
02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Lets not forget the Labor to build these motors. These articles tend to leave that out. Yeah, you can get a used block cheap and source all the parts to build a high performance LS motor for a decent price, but unless your an experience engine builder with all the tools your adding another 2 to 3 grand minimum. As well as another 5k or more to make an LS fit and work in a 1st gen (if you can't do it yourself). Again, if I could do it myself I would in a heart beat. Agreed, better MPG, better reliability, no leaks, LS is the way to go. Just damn expensive if you do not have the ability to do it yourself, or of course get parts for free from your sponsors.:)

Rod
02-05-2013, 12:22 PM
And why are so many people going with LS engines these days?

thats easy, I put in an LS engine and no longer have a single oil leak, and my old 383 got about 12 miles per gallon, the new engine with the same Carb, Transmission, and rear end gears that were used on the 383, now gives almost 20 miles per gallon(19.8) at 65 MPH and more torque

Barrrf
02-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Lets not forget the Labor to build these motors. These articles tend to leave that out. Yeah, you can get a used block cheap and source all the parts to build a high performance LS motor for a decent price, but unless your an experience engine builder with all the tools your adding another 2 to 3 grand minimum. As well as another 5k or more to make an LS fit and work in a 1st gen (if you can't do it yourself). Again, if I could do it myself I would in a heart beat. Agreed, better MPG, better reliability, no leaks, LS is the way to go. Just damn expensive if you do not have the ability to do it yourself, or of course get parts for free from your sponsors.:)

Agreed - but thats true for all engines. I can easily tune my truck engine via HP Tuners but I'll be the first to admit that Im scared to touch my quadrajet.

SDS MACHINING
02-05-2013, 01:14 PM
this thread gets better every time i check in on it, I totally agree with LS is the way to go these days for total reliability and mpg when building a car to drive every day, weight savings etc... i view it in a manner similar to how the old school hot rod guys do that still use flat head motors, why do those guys use a flat head? (its looks and nostalgia) I know the answer its just something to think about why some guys go conventional motor in their muscle car vs LS. bottom line is its still personal preference and in regards to losing the window shaking thump of a big cam, IMO thats what makes a car unique, everyone cares what their car sounds like. The feeling you get from the rumble and low end torque of a Big Block is what makes it fun. once again its opinion only.

camaro427-69
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Wow,,, that 540 must be bad ass.. Are you selling it??
if you are talking about me, yep i would :) maybe/not/i donīt know :hammer: if somebody could tell me that a 418LS would be way better than an aluminum 540 i would do, but this thread wonīt answer this question cause it canīt be answered. if i had the money i owned two 69 camaros one with a n/a or small procharger 540 and a second one with a twin turbo LS. so itīs always a personal decision and canīt be pinned on reliability or insane torque. from a technical standpoint nobody would ever argue that a bigblock would be better but thinking this way i had to throw my camaro onto the junk and just keep driving my 330XD BMW wagon:hmm:

Rickerbucks
02-08-2013, 05:27 AM
This has been a good read. Going through this debate right now. It seems a question is how much driving i plan to do. I think my ride might be 5000 miles at year at most. Not worried about fuel consumption. And you can get efi big blocks so i assume that address the carb issue.

Barrrf
02-08-2013, 05:51 AM
I was shopping for performance heads for big blocks last night. Holy price. Im finding pretty hard to believe that an equivalent HP LS build wouldnt be MUCH cheaper.

carguykeith
02-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I was shopping for performance heads for big blocks last night. Holy price. Im finding pretty hard to believe that an equivalent HP LS build wouldnt be MUCH cheaper.

You need to look at the used market, lots of BBC used parts and complete engines for cheap. Here is one on our board that all you would have to do is a cam and piston change for a 600hp turnkey motor:
https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?96096-Complete-Turn-Key-468-BBC-Merlin-Heads

SDS MACHINING
02-08-2013, 09:15 PM
This has been a good read. Going through this debate right now. It seems a question is how much driving i plan to do. I think my ride might be 5000 miles at year at most. Not worried about fuel consumption. And you can get efi big blocks so i assume that address the carb issue.

I saw an episode of Gears a few moths back when they did an LS swap and they actually interviewed a representative from Holly and were promoting their new EFI system, he actually stated then in some applications a Carb is better then EFI, I thought this maybe to be a sales tactic as Holly does not want to kill their market share of it carb sales, but until recently if your running big Cube In you were pretty much stuck with a carb set up, but now several companies are competing for for the EFI market and big Cube In motors are not an issue,, and the price is reasonable as well,, Check this out... http://nyesautomotive.net/632_EFI_PUMP_GAS.html how can you go wrong with this option?

badazz81z28
02-09-2013, 07:33 AM
I saw an episode of Gears a few moths back when they did an LS swap and they actually interviewed a representative from Holly and were promoting their new EFI system, he actually stated then in some applications a Carb is better then EFI, I thought this maybe to be a sales tactic as Holly does not want to kill their market share of it carb sales, but until recently if your running big Cube In you were pretty much stuck with a carb set up, but now several companies are competing for for the EFI market and big Cube In motors are not an issue,, and the price is reasonable as well,, Check this out... http://nyesautomotive.net/632_EFI_PUMP_GAS.html how can you go wrong with this option?

People do seem to forget about all the little things involved in an LS swap. I sure did and the dollars add up quick!. First and foremost; the LS engines do not make BBC power out of the box. The exception would probably be the LS7, but hell its 427 cubic inches!

When I planned out my 496 BBC in 2008, I figured it would cost me $6K. I had forged internals, Vic Jr heads and a roller valve train. It would have easily made 500/500+ on the conservative side. No special fuel tank required, electric fans etc.

My LS1 cost me $2600 which was brand new. 350hp...Not BBC power yet...I added
$300 Cam
$120 Pushrods
$1500 CNC heads
$200 SLP Pump and Chain
$500 Headers
$1000 FAST Intake
$400 TB
$100 MAF
$500 Wiring Harness
$200 Fuel Injectors
$500 Tuning
$1500 for Fuel Tank (AN OEM FI tank is not made for my car) Strange....a sec gen Camaro...Who would have figured

That's ~$9,420 and I'm not even counting all the little special LS tools I had to buy.

I ended up with a 520hp LS motor that doesn't sound or have the torque the BBC would. No doubt, the reason I did the swap was for FI, but I honestly feel if you are drag racing, a solid BBC motor is tough to beat for the dollar.

Now I know the junk yard deals are out there, but I don't think that's an apple to apple comparison...You could easily pick up a used 600hp BBC on craigslist for a couple grand just as easily as you could pick up a 5.3 LS for $500. But if you do it right! With new parts, the LS will sink your ship if you are not prepared for it.

uxojerry
02-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Im looking for engine options for a high hp track car and for the Tx mile. To join the 200 mph club in a 3000lb car, you need 800hp plus. BBC and FI LSX are the best options. Most FI LSX cars are going with an iron block or a high end erl/rhs block. Add the weight of cooling and the money for custom parts and the build gets heavy and expensive.

Im leaning more towards a BBC. I will go for for efi and maybe even an aluminum block and still be $8k-$10k under an LSX FI build. I would also be 200lbs lighter if the BBC aluminum block option is selected. Im not totally sold on the idea yet, but am leaning in that direction. An rhs tall deck 502 NA might get there also, but is very expensive.

SDS MACHINING
02-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Im looking for engine options for a high hp track car and for the Tx mile. To join the 200 mph club in a 3000lb car, you need 800hp plus. BBC and FI LSX are the best options. Most FI LSX cars are going with an iron block or a high end erl/rhs block. Add the weight of cooling and the money for custom parts and the build gets heavy and expensive.

Im leaning more towards a BBC. I will go for for efi and maybe even an aluminum block and still be $8k-$10k under an LSX FI build. I would also be 200lbs lighter if the BBC aluminum block option is selected. Im not totally sold on the idea yet, but am leaning in that direction. An rhs tall deck 502 NA might get there also, but is very expensive.

I would love to know what you decide on, and what you build,,

uxojerry
02-12-2013, 05:23 PM
When I finish my 65 C2 Corvette Coupe, I am going to build an all out custom chassis 68 C3 Coupe. Build plan so far:
1. SR III C6 chassis
2. Currie 9" irs built to 1000hp
3. Hardened T56 magnum or billet TCI 6x.
4. Baer 6s brakes
5. Roll cage, fire suppression and safety equipment for 200 mph
6. Air Dam capable of holding front end on the ground at 200 mph
7. Car licensed for the street and capable reasonable comfort on a road trip

Engine with flywheel hp of 850 or better. Must have EFI. Decision is a spec'd BBC @ $20k, versus a spec'd FI iron block LSX @ $30k with all associated hardware.

BBC down side:
Solid roller requiring monthly tinkering with rockers. Might get there with a hyd roller but unlikely. Do not want a tall deck motor as cost will climb with one off parts.

LSX FI down side:
Cost, and issues with cooling, plumbing, belts, and tuning.

Many may chime in with facts that they can achieve my goals with a junk yard LQ build with big turbos, lol. That may be true for them but I dont have the skills to be a daily tinkerer with the car. My prices are based on what can be bought as a turn key motor.

One option still under review is an LSX/RHS tall deck NA motor. I can hit the mark with a 502 and Holley Hi Ram. There arent many LSX tall deck options available. In a year when Im ready to build, there may be more options.

CFster
02-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Don't think you need to spend $30k to get 800hp out of an LS.

Todd in Vancouver
02-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I was in the middle of building a S-10 SBC street/drag truck when I stumbled on my Camaro. I was already just about done building my engine so I just detuned my 350 and it is going in the Camaro . I'm into my SBC for approximately $10K and I would in a minute go back and build an LS if I could. There is no really "cheap" way to build good horsepower. But please by all means correct me if you have found a cheap way to do it because I've never found a way to do a quality build for low $$$.

uxojerry
02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Todd your build looks great and I agree with you about hp costing money. On my 65 I decided to do a stack induction system. The only real option was to go SBC at the time. I did a nice 427 with a stack but it cost a lot more than a beefed up LS7. I ended up with 565hp where I could have had 100hp more out of an LS7 for the same price. 700hp or less, the LS wins hands down.

When you get into 800hp+ the debate starts between a large cube LSX FI and a high end BBC NA. My opinions change week to week on the best option, lol. A forged LQ9 blower build is $9k for a complete long block. The down side is 4 bolt heads. Change to an LSX long block with 6 bolt heads and the same build is $11k. Buy a complete FI LSX turn key motor and your above $25k with all of the hardware. For the hp available, this may still be a bargain. The potential is 1000hp or more. Downside mentioned in previous post.

A large cube BBC with efi and 800hp+ will cost less than $20k as a turn key. With the right combo the block can be aluminum and still be $20k. BBC is the cheaper option but has less potential to exceed the original goals. Downside, little potential for hp gains, mpg may be terrible even with efi, and monthly/qtrly tweaking of valve train.

I dont know which direction I will take for my next motor. I have a year to make the decision.

Todd in Vancouver
02-13-2013, 07:54 PM
The coolest part is a guy from the US posts a question about an engine and another guy from Canada posts his thoughts with a fellow from Cambodia who posts about his experience and all from a group of guys who all love working on cars. This really is the best website and I've learned more from the posts on here than I've read about in the last decade.

Barrrf
02-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Ok - I eat my words. Brand new, ready to run, 725hp 750lbft for $12k?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp44c/overview/make/chevrolet

uxojerry
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Take a look at nyesautomotive.net. Their 582 with 750 hp is less than $10k. An aluminum block, multiport efi, and billet serpentine assy with ac and ps comes to $18k as a complete turn-key. Im thinking with a head/cam upgrade, I can hit the 800hp+ mark and still be at $20k. Im still on the fence but do like the simplicity of this option.

Lat-g has a complete build thread on the new Mark Stielow car. His multi-layered/multi-function radiator has more tech in it than the entire motor listed above, lol. I also tend to focus on the threads where guys are having problems. There are some real nightmare builds on the Corvette C5/C6 Forced Induction forums. An lsx FI build is appealing, but my worry is some of the hard to diagnose problems that occur with a complicated build.

The cheapest ls option would be to buy an LSA and do some mods or buy an LSX 376 B15 forged motor and add a sc kit. Either one will hit the hp number but be well over $20k when it is all said and done. A forged LQ4/9 408 will also be in the same price range.

Rod
02-14-2013, 09:53 PM
??? why does everyone need the big horsepower? horse power is cool, dont get me wrong and I will be adding more power later, but the question was BBC or LS.....the swap to LS is easy

1200 bucks on eBay for a 70000 mile LQ4 with a 12 month 12000 mile warranty
300 MSD computer to run ignition
300 intake
250 for oil pan
60 motor mounts
225 sanderson headers
50 bucks for flywheel
60 bucks for a driveshaft yoke 1 inch longer to make up the difference in transmission location

since my car was already running I just reused the carb and fuel system, same bellhousing, clutch, and trans, add another
100 bucks to add to my exhaust system to meet up with the old system

resold the truck LS intake with the LS exhaust manifolds, computer, wire harness and oil pan for
+300 bucks
resold the old motor, aluminum heads, aluminum water pump and intake
+ 600 bucks

badazz81z28
02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
??? why does everyone need the big horsepower? horse power is cool, dont get me wrong and I will be adding more power later, but the question was BBC or LS.....the swap to LS is easy

1200 bucks on eBay for a 70000 mile LQ4 with a 12 month 12000 mile warranty
300 MSD computer to run ignition
300 intake
250 for oil pan
60 motor mounts
225 sanderson headers
50 bucks for flywheel
60 bucks for a driveshaft yoke 1 inch longer to make up the difference in transmission location

since my car was already running I just reused the carb and fuel system, same bellhousing, clutch, and trans, add another
100 bucks to add to my exhaust system to meet up with the old system

resold the truck LS intake with the LS exhaust manifolds, computer, wire harness and oil pan for
+300 bucks
resold the old motor, aluminum heads, aluminum water pump and intake
+ 600 bucks

That's a really good budget swap, but you are not making BBC power with that set-up just yet. I do agree with you on the power though. I see way too many people (especially on LS1tech.com) that want 500, 550, 600+ rear wheel horsepower for their street car! I don't know about you, but where can you hammer the gas with that much power on the street? Really no where...safely.

IMHO....a 400 horsepower engine is really all you need on the street. When you are in competition it's a different story and even then there is a limit. I remember reading an article in one of the magazines comparing some of the autocross rides. It stated that Kyle Tucker's Camaro had too much power! and a lesser powered car was better in the turns not because the car or the suspension was better, but the less power kept it under control. Food for though...

Barrrf
02-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Need? Who needs 400hp for the street?

My pickem'up truck has 300hp - and thats plenty for driving around the street.

Its not about need - which is why 100% of us are on this forum. But i certainly WANT a LOT of horsepower. until it becomes illegal or banned.