PDA

View Full Version : Boosted engine break-in

Ralph LoGrasso
08-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Should a boosted engine be broken in under boost, or N/A? To take it a step further, if one was planning to run 11psi or so of boost, would it be best to break it in under 11psi, or a lower amount of boost? The engine is an LS1, and will be supercharged.

Thanks,

camcojb
08-31-2004, 05:24 PM
You'll probably get a lot of different opinions on this one Ralph. I always break in a supercharged engine with the supercharger functioning. As far as break-in time, with the good file-fit plasma rings I use they're seated almost immediately. So I don't wait thousands of mile before putting my foot in it. I vary the engine speeds and loads, getting into boost is not a problem. I don't do high rpm or max boost for a few heat cycles, but I will use full throttle. Just don't keep my foot in it long enough to hit max boost or rpms.

Heck, within 100 miles I'm on the dyno!

Jody

shmoov69
08-31-2004, 07:51 PM
I would have to agree with everything Jody says too! Just stay off redline for a few times.
I don't know what the procedure is at the factory, but what would the first thing that you would do if you went to test drive a new Cobra? ; )
Jimmy

Blown353
08-31-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm with Jody, no "black magic boosted taboo" break in is needed, leave the blower connected. If you have a flat tappet cam you had best do the 2000-2500 rpm for 20 minutes routine. If you're running roller, you don't need the lifter break in routine so start it up, make sure everything is in order, maybe let it high idle at 1500-2000 rpm for 5 or 10 minutes to make sure everything is working, timing is OK, oil pressure is OK, there are no leaks, get it tuned well enough then go drive it. I do easy short trips for the first 3-4 times for things to heat cycle everything then go back and retorque stuff (intake, headers, etc). After than I start driving harder (getting into the boost, but not beating on it and staying under ~5K rpm) for the first 50 miles or so. Then I change the oil, cut open the filter and look, and if things look good put fresh oil in and go out and beat on it.

:3gears:

Oh, and I probably don't need to say it, but don't go doing anything stupid when the engine is cold! Let the coolant and more importantly the oil warm up before you go thrashing on it.

Matt@RFR
08-31-2004, 08:47 PM
When I worked at an engine shop, I put probably 15 blower motors on the dyno. Anything from a 350ci with a 6-71 to 420+ci small blocks with up to 10-71's, 18-20lbs of boost, and upwards of 1,000hp.

Standard procedure, no matter fuel, boost levels, etc (excluding flat tappet cams, ofcourse) was to start it, check timing, oil pressure, leaks, etc etc. The second the oil hit 200 degrees, my boss would bring the motor up against the pump and check out oil pressure and the detonation meter. If nothing was wrong, she'd be on her way to 7500rpm or more, full boost.

camcojb
08-31-2004, 09:04 PM
When I worked at an engine shop, I put probably 15 blower motors on the dyno. Anything from a 350ci with a 6-71 to 420+ci small blocks with up to 10-71's, 18-20lbs of boost, and upwards of 1,000hp.

Standard procedure, no matter fuel, boost levels, etc (excluding flat tappet cams, ofcourse) was to start it, check timing, oil pressure, leaks, etc etc. The second the oil hit 200 degrees, my boss would bring the motor up against the pump and check out oil pressure and the detonation meter. If nothing was wrong, she'd be on her way to 7500rpm or more, full boost.

I love it! Been there too! I was actually being conservative in my reply to Ralph! As long as everything is tuned and up to temp it's good to go. My thoughts are if you built it right it's not going to break. If you baby it for 1500 miles and it's not right it'll break anyway!

Jody

Jody

dennis68
08-31-2004, 09:08 PM
Drive it like you stole' it---right out of the gate.

What is break-in??? Break in is for engines that were built to tight that need a few miles to "self-clearence". HAHA, ask GMPP about that.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-01-2004, 01:27 AM
WOW, thanks for all the replies!! From just the people I wanted to hear from, too!! I guess I'll run it at full boost from the get-go. I'll probably let her idle a while, check everything and then get out and run her, staying away from full boost, and redline. After a few times of that, I'll change the oil, cut the filter, if everything is okay, like you guys say, in goes the new oil, down goes the foot, and then comes the dyno time and tuning :).

Thanks again for all the responses!!!

Too bad this won't be for 8-10 months longer :crying:!

P.S. Jimmy, my foot would be to the floor in the Cobra, as soon as I got open road :).

shmoov69
09-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Well, To be honest, the first turbo engine I did in my car......I started it and broke in the cam at 8:00am, drove it 5 miles, put the hood back on, drove it another 10 miles, washed it, changed the oil, loaded it up with lotsa crap and drove it to Pontiac, MI!! From Springfield, MO!!!! How's that for a break in ?!?! New engine, trans, electrical system, stereo system, fuel system AND a turbo system that I had never messed with (turbo's that is) at all! AND I had done all the work myself (with friends of course!) on little sleep for a couple months.
SO! Needless to say, I say build it and then blast is shortly after!!
Jimmy

ProdigyCustoms
09-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Tune it, put it to the wood, and let it eat!