PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP Small block serpentine??

absintheisfun
08-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Does anyone make a kit for an SBC that is CHEAP, and made for PS and ALT? I don't run A/C in my p/u and the bracket that is holding my p/s pump is from a 70's era C10 and it isn't aligning with the rest of my set up so it chirps like it is going out of style.

The cheapest I found is on speedway (midmount) and it would require me to pick up a new waterpump and powersteering pump
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/91013270_R_15aefc86-1.jpg
Total investment is 609 and change...
Thats not too bad, but it still seems a little high considering this is a temporary setup to keep it running until I've got the Camaro done and can pro-tour it.

btw, I'm anti chrome (unless it is inexpensive) I really don't care what it looks like, so if anyone knows of a good SBC junkyard setup I might come by, I'm all ears!

Thanks

it doesn't need to be a serp, dual v-belts would be fine...just a setup made to work with all components!

SS PUNISHER
08-24-2011, 08:05 PM
For a serp setup I'd look for a 5.7 or 4.3 vortec setup, assuming you have the holes in the heads of course.They are super easy to pull off with accesories attached!

Twentyover
08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Thought the last oi fthe Gen I SBC used cast aluminum brackets on that serp system

dontlifttoshift
08-25-2011, 06:10 AM
If you got room for a long pump run this http://paceperformance.com/i-6255267-12497697-small-block-chevy-serpentine-accessory-belt-drive-system-deluxe-without-air.html

But if you want to do it really cheap just buy a decent power steering bracket from http://alangrovecomponents.com/

Donny

SLO_Z28
08-25-2011, 07:18 PM
http://alangrovecomponents.com/

Best if you have the money for new. You can also use the setup from a 3rd gen camaro fairly easy, and it packages well.

NJSPEEDER
08-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Thought the last oi fthe Gen I SBC used cast aluminum brackets on that serp system

They did. There were actually a few different set ups between car and truck and even different sets between 305 and 350 in some cases. There are idler pulleys available to put in place of the AC and smog pumps since not all models were equipped. There used to be a complete list of the different set ups and part numbers on Thirdgen.org but I can't find it any more.

It is as cheap a set up as you will find, available in any junk yard.

-Tim

SS PUNISHER
08-25-2011, 10:25 PM
They did. There were actually a few different set ups between car and truck and even different sets between 305 and 350 in some cases. There are idler pulleys available to put in place of the AC and smog pumps since not all models were equipped. There used to be a complete list of the different set ups and part numbers on Thirdgen.org but I can't find it any more. -Tim

Are you thinking of the tpi/tbi setups? If so then you are correct about there being several different variations. There is also the even later model vortec 5.7 and 4.3 setups that are alot nicer IMO. They are packaged alot tighter and use a newer (and I'm sure more effecient) compressor. Only problem I could see with the vortec setup is running tall valve covers as the compressor is now on top of the vc. I'm sure a notch in the vc would solve this though...

Chad-1stGen
08-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Go get the set up off of an 88-94ish extended cab GM truck.

This is the cast aluminum accessory package people are talking about above. But the extended cab truck didn't require a smog pump because of the weight class and it had a cleaner bracket on the passenger side. Its better than the kit GMPP supplies IMO. It doesn't need an idler pulley in place of the smog pump like the GMPP kit or car based ones.

Even better if you can find one without AC.

I went to a junk yard a few months back and these trucks were everywhere!! You will also get the benefit of running the CS130 alternator which is far superior to the 10SI alternator most people have in the older vbelt set ups. Its easy to wire up the CS130 into a two wire alternator too.

absintheisfun
08-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Are the mount holes on the heads of the vortec and old-school gm's the in the same places?

406 Q-ship
09-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Are the mount holes on the heads of the vortec and old-school gm's the in the same places?

Yes the accessory bolt holes are in the same location on pre 1986 SBC and the later centerbolt valve cover heads.