PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Chevrolet 150

carbuff
08-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Some of you on the board have seen me post information on this car before. This was my father's car, build completed around 2002/2003. It's what I would consider an "early" Pro-Touring type car. :) I wouldn't put it up against most of the cars here from a competitive standpoint, but it certainly has the "Touring" part down...

I started an eBay auction for the car which has all of the details. I'll be happy to discuss it further with anyone that is interested. And if you happen to participate on other forums that may have members who would be interested, I would appreciate any cross-listings. :cheers:

1957 Chevrolet 150 with LT5 / ZF 6-speed on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1555Q2el2649QQ itemZ190567814297QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMESELXQ3aIT)

Thanx!

SOM1969
09-22-2011, 04:07 PM
man thats nice.. thats a hard to find engine in there.

carbuff
09-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanx! Unfortunately no sale yet, so it's still available. :)

jh96ss
10-09-2011, 04:59 AM
This is a beautiful car guys I have seen it in person at a little show in High Point N.C always draws a crowd.
glws
jeremy

carbuff
10-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanx Jeremy... It really is a great car. If it ultimately doesn't sell then I will migrate it south to Texas where I can enjoy it for a while. :)

carbuff
03-05-2012, 04:14 PM
As spring approaches, I wanted to bring this back up so that anyone in the market might see it. The eBay auction listed in the first post is gone, but I'll paste the pertinent information below. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email or PM me. Thanx!

My family has a 1957 Chevrolet 150 that my father built that we are putting up for sale. My father passed away about two years ago, and we've decided that it's time to move forward and sell his remaining vehicles.

This car isn't a stock or a normal 150 by any stretch. This car was built by my father and I (mostly he, I helped with the bodywork/paint), and there are a lot of subtle details that are easily missed. The car was completed about 10 years ago and has been driven somewhere between 12 and 15k miles. It's home is in North Carolina, and it's been driven to Columbus, OH, Richmond, VA, and to Myrtle Beach, SC on several occasions. It is definitely road worthy.

The car was built on top of a Jim Meyer Racing full-frame setup. This included a Mustang II based IFS with adjustable height coilovers, sway bar, and rack and pinion steering. The rear of the car uses the Meyer 4-link setup with a 9" housing, coilovers, and swaybar there as well. The 9" center section is built within a nodular housing with (I believe) 3.55:1 gears and a posi differential. There's a panhard bar for lateral location also.

The body was an excellent condition 150 sedan that was taken down to the metal before being straightened and sprayed. The car is a metallic silver and white, although I don't know the exact paint codes. I do have that information (can look it up if interested), and we still have some of the original paint left as well.

The engine came from a 1991 Corvette ZR1 with low mileage. In stock form, this engine was rated at 375HP. The ECU controlling this engine has an updated PROM which bumps the power, but the car has never been on a dyno for me to give an exact number. These engines were mostly aluminum and manufactured by Mercury Marine. Given the silver color of the car, my father decided to make this one stand out a little by painting the intake plenum and cylinder head covers Chevrolet engine orange. It definitely 'pops' when you open the hood.

The transmission in the car is the accompanying ZF 6-speed that came in the ZR1. It has a hydraulic clutch using GM components (bellhousing, PP, disc, throwout bearing, etc). The hydraulics are mounted to the frame under the driver's side floor to keep things as 'hidden' as possible. Also mounted there is the power brake booster and master cylinder which feed the 4-wheel disc brakes. The hydraulic plumbing was done with stainless tubing front to rear.

To go with the 'sleeper' theme of the car, original style 15" steel wheels and chrome center caps were used. When it's sitting at a show, if the hood's not open, it looks like a very well done 'stock style' 150.

More little details that are part of the 'sleeper' theme. The Black Widow / delete plates were used to cover the heater box opening, the radio, and other deletes on the car. However, the car has full modern amenities like air conditioning, cruise control, and a 6-disc CD changer and stereo. The AC controls are hidden on a plate behind the glove box door. The heater / firewall delete panel was used to allow access to the relays and controls necessary to run the LT5. It's an incredibly clean underhood area. Keen observers will note the slight modifications to the firewall to allow the engine/transmission to sit in the appropriate location, including the delete panel. A lot of time was spent getting that right.

Other details... The car has a Rock Valley stainless steel tank with in-tank pump feeding the LT5. It has a trunk mounted Optima battery to power the car. It has an aftermarket set of gauges (I don't know the manufacturer) that you can see in the pictures also. The front doors have power windows installed. The car utilizes a chambered exhaust, which makes it fun to start up at a show.

The interior of the car is basically stock and was all done at the time of the completion of the car. It's incredibly clean, and everything is hidden away. The steering wheel is the one standout item, it was from a C3 Corvette, I believe.

I have a folder with most of the receipts and manuals for various items used on the car. I will provide this to whomever buys the car. (my father was very detail oriented and kept just about everything as he built the car)

I'm not sure what else to say about the car. The pictures can do the best job of showing the details. This car won numerous awards at the various shows that it attended and always generated lots of conversation. It's just time for it to find a new home...

Pictures of the car are available at (not the best "selling" pictures, but pictures of the various steps of the build):

1957 Chevrolet 150 LT5 / 6-speed (http://www.carbuff.net/57_chevy)

The car is currently located in Winston-Salem, NC. I am located in Texas. However, my uncle, who spent a great deal of time at the shows with this car and my father, is taking care of the car and would be glad to discuss it in detail with anyone who has a serious interest. Feel free to contact me via PM or email for contact information for either of us.

The car is priced at $79,000 obo.

Enjoy the pictures, and thanx for reading!