PDA

View Full Version : Rear Circle Track Springs Chevelle help!

Chevelle598bb
08-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey guys I am having an issue with setting the ride height for my 71 Chevelle. Currently I am running 650 lb circle track springs in the front with adjusters and in the rear I am running 3 inch drop springs from Performance Online. Performance Online told me the springs were around 215 lbs but the guy I spoke with didn't sound to sure and I think he just told me something to get me off the phone. I was very happy with the drop of the Performance Online springs when I was running a 12 bolt in the car. Since then I have replaced the 12 bolt with a Moser M9 with a backbrace. Due to the bigger axle tubes it has raise the rearend approximately an inch. So I am looking to switching to a rear style circle track spring to lower the rear another 1 to 2 inches. Right now the Performance Online springs are about 9.5 inches install in the car with weight on them. I was thinking of replacing them with 200 lbs 5 x 11 pigtail rear circle track springs but I am unsure if they will get me anymore drop then the current drop springs I have. Also is there anyway to trim the circle track springs to the desired height? By cutting off the unactive coil at the top would that affect the spring rate since it is an unactive coil? Thanks in advance for help. I am going to lower the front more once I figure out the rear spring debacle. Here is a link to my build thread on the forum and check out post #5 for current ride height pictures.

shep
08-20-2011, 06:30 PM
You can cut the coils from the top but it will increase the rate. I would get the springs and see where your at they are cheap enough you could try a few times if you mess up and they have adjusters if you cut too much. I went with either 250 or 275lb springs in the rear I don't remember fro sure. It isn't together so I have no idea how it will ride. Your link didn't work either. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?81986-71-Chevelle-408-LSX-build-thread

Chevelle598bb
08-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Oops. Yeah the link works better when I remember to post it.
https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?81986-71-Chevelle-408-LSX-build-thread

I was thinking if I started with a 150 or 175 lbs 11 inch spring and cut it, it may only raise the rate to around 200 to 225 which is what I want. I am trying to find out how to calculate that.

exwestracer
08-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Coil spring rate calculators are available online, but since you already have rated springs, all you need to know is the number of active coils when the spring is installed. Lets say the spring has 8 active coils now, and you want to cut 1 full coil off. You would then have 7 coils carrying the same load, so the spring rate would be 8/7 or 1.14 higher than it is now. This works for cutting partial coils as well.

Chevelle598bb
08-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the help Ray. I'll see what I can come up with.

Yelcamino
08-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Just call Coil Spring Specialties (http://www.coilsprings.com/) and ask for Kevin. He'll custom make your rear coils for you and factor in the desired ride height. You'll probably need to ship him one of your rear springs so he get the specs from it to calculate the new springs. I buy all of my coil springs from this place and have never had an issue.

Chevelle598bb
08-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks Herb. I'll give Kevin a call tommorrow.