PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

ertoys
06-26-2005, 05:00 AM
Can you install the Hotchkis front swaybar without tearing the frontend down?

Everything is new and assembled, Hotchkis instructions stink!

My car never had a swaybar installed (I can tell by the mount holes) so I did not have bolts to bolt the new one in, and I did not realize that it would be a problem afterward.

I went to install it lastnite and there is like zero room for it, am I missing something?

Steve68
06-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Take off a lower control arm and feed it through, this should work!!
hopefully,

ZZ430
06-26-2005, 07:53 AM
R&R the crank pulleys/harmonic balancer for the needed room.

Kenova
06-26-2005, 12:43 PM
I installed a factory bar in the front of my '71 Nova after everything was put back together. I had to jack it up, pull the wheels and crank pulley off. I then turned the steering wheel to full left lock and fed the bar in from the left side. It takes a few tries, and some scratches are going to "happen", but it can be done.

Once installed, I found very little clearence between the sway bar and harmonic damper (sbc 400 - its friggin huge). It cleared by no more than an 1/8" at the very most. I made a pair 1/8" spacers from some flat stock and stuck them between the frame and bar mounts. Lots of room now. :icon996:
Ken

Rick Dorion
06-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Assuming you have the correct engine/frame mounts - yes it can be done.

I took the drivers wheel off and turned the steering wheel all the way to the left. I was able to thread it in. Having said that, I thought I was going to have to remove the lca but then it slid in. Very tight fit, though.