PDA

View Full Version : Guys with a motor pushed back thru the firewall, hows your pedal room?

Motorcitydak
08-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Just checking to see what you guys have to say about the room you have for you feet and pedal after shoving an engine thru the firewall. Im looking at putting mine quite a ways back and could almost use it for an arm rest. It will probably end up somewhere with the firewall in the middle of the engine. Im curious how creative Ill have to get with the placement of my pedals. Id like to not have my feet sideways but Ill live with what I have to to have the motor where it needs to go

go-fish
08-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm pretty tall and have plenty of room in the 'cuda. IIRC, B and E Body floor pans are the same so it's related to the your Charger. I wouldn't miss about three inches of floor space. What benefits would be gained by 3 inches, I don't know.

CamaroAJ
08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
mine is back 7" in my camaro. i'm using floor mount pedals and moved the seats back. i also did a 4th gen dash swap so it was easy to move the column and dash back so it looked right.

ace_xp2
08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
You can offset the engine to the passenger side as well, help with the corner weighting and get some more foot space.

Motorcitydak
08-05-2011, 10:26 PM
You can offset the engine to the passenger side as well, help with the corner weighting and get some more foot space.

Lol, id guess you have not seen my build thread. My car is going to be all wheel drive with the transfer case, drive shaft and front diff on the passenger side. No room to push the motor over there. I think/hope that with me in the car, the weight distribution side to side will be pretty equal.

Can any of you guys put up pics of the footwell area post-firewall surgery?

parsonsj
08-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Here's what Unfair's footwell looks like:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/img_0298jpgw480h360-1.jpg

Here's a related article about how the pedals worked out:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/interior/upholstery_seats/sucp_1108_drivers_seat_ergonomics_unfair_takes_a_s eat/index.html

Motorcitydak
08-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Great, thanks for the pic and that link

Jim Nilsen
08-26-2011, 06:46 PM
I have my engine back 6 in. and had no real problem finding the room for the gas pedal. It ends up a bit closer to the brake but it makes heel and toe a lot easier. You can go to my angelfire site and see pics of the sheetmetal. just go to my homepage by clicking on my sig and it will take you there. use the toolbar at the bottom to navigate easier.

I did make my own gas pedal to amke it easier to fit the way I wanted it to and would suggest making one to anybody who does the engine back mod unless you are going to use DBW and an LS which should still be easy to repackage from what I have seen.