PDA

View Full Version : Pro touring project.. 35k to use. Suggestions??

Loyaltyisking
08-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I am looking to get into an old school pro touring car... I will build it (most of it), do body work and paint.. That said I have about 35k I want to use to build the car. What might I want to jump into to??? Eventually I will sell the car so keep in mind its gotta bring me money when all is said and done. Please throw some suggestions out their and why I would want to build it... Heck if you have something let me know!!!! Thanks in advance

CFster
08-03-2011, 12:59 PM
$35k including the car?

BTW, this isn't a good way to make money.

Loyaltyisking
08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
yea, including car... I was thinking that if I do most of the labor, I should save a good chunk. I mean most people drop 10-15k in body and paint alone. If I do all the body and paint, and most of the installation of parts.. I shouldn't be that far off right? Or wrong? If I buy a solid project, 10-12k, and drop 20-25k in parts... You dont think I can make my money back by selling a complete car? I want to build myself a car, and eventually sell it.

Loyaltyisking
08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
ps. I own a collision shop. That should help right?

CFster
08-03-2011, 01:45 PM
IMO, molested classic cars just don't bring the money, unless its something really unusual or very well done. I'm convinced my car was worth more before I dumped $25k into it. But we did it with the intention of driving it.

I guess it comes down to what you're starting with.

evostilo
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Theres a lot of first gen camaro pro touring "PROJECTS" out there that already have the suspension but no engine, if you know what your doing the just buy someones project and finish it since u have the shop.

But if u try and buy and restore or repair the body and then do the rest Suspension, LSx Conversion, Modern Interior, Brakes, ect. it all adds up to ALOT of cash and there wont be much to profit from IMO

good luck keep us posted

Fillpot
08-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I've been considering selling my 69 camaro project,LS2 with comp cam trick flow 225's,built 4l70e with yank convertor,mini tubbed g-linked, four wheel disc brakes,covans dash with autometer gaughes,15x12 rally's on back with drag radials,needs paint and some work on the quarters and a couple of places on the bottom of the doors.The interior is out to start putting in dynamat,also have new dash pad, door panels, headliner etc to go in it,it's black primer which is faded pretty badly.Also it's a running and driving project matter of fact just got out of it,if your interested 23k is the price,located in south alabama,you can reach me here or at [email protected]!

chuckd71
08-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I,m no expert, but I think the only way to make money restoring a car like this is to be doing in a specific way for a specific customer. By that I mean someone who knows what he wants and will pay you to give him what he wants. Can't recall too many instances of people doing what you describe and making money. Plus the time you spend on it could be spent doing other things (anything at all) and there is a cost to that.

sevillaz28
08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Building a "Pro Touring" car takes a lot more then $35k to produce a quality product. Even if you get a sweet deal on a project, your going to need to take the time to blow the whole car apart and detail the hell out of it to get some good money for it later and time is money. Your better off building a super clean street car with $25k that will appeal to more people if your wanting to make a "little" bit of cash down the road.

MrQuick
08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Depends on what quality you expect but it can be done if you don't have to pay for body and paint.

Finding a solid car might be tough. For 10-12K you can find a decent 70-73 Camaro or Firebird.