PDA

View Full Version : wanted: Electric Fan Mark VIII

yellow1098Greg
08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Want an electic fan to add to my clutch fan on my 77 TA...preferably 3 inches or under in thickness. Need to be big and powerful. If email is easier its [email protected]

jknight16
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
If you use a Mark VIII fan you won't need the mechanical fan. Plus, what are you going to do to shroud your mechanical fan? This seems like an idea that needs more consideration before buying parts...

yellow1098Greg
08-04-2011, 12:15 AM
ya i guess your right. well with my mechanical fan the engine and everything does seam to run hot and i need some major cooling here in orlando to enjoy the car. gotta figure the right setup to keep the car and the engine cool. if u have any idea id appreciate it :)

jknight16
08-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Makes sense. If you don't have a problem with buying some parts, you would be well served to ditch the mechanical fan and run just the electric fan setup. If your cooling system (radiator) is of sufficient size for your engine combo and working properly, you should have no problems keeping that engine cool with just an electric fan. If you go the Mark VIII route, you should also plan on buying a fan controller that utilizes PWM (pulse width modulation). The Mark VIII fan creates quite the amperage draw when it kicks on and the controller will help to manage this draw with a soft start, among other things.

I went with DC Controls fan controller (http://www.dccontrol.com/) paired with an Ebay Mark VIII fan, some have used a SPAL unit. If you choose to buy anything from DC Controls, plan to wait a few months as they can be quite slow in shipping. The products are really nice though and I've found the customer support to be very good.

You can always go the Prodigy customs route as well. Frank sells some nice radiator and electric fan combos and he's local to you. Plan to spend around $1k if you go that route.