PDA

View Full Version : BBC aluminum block

Yelcamino
08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Does anyone have a line on a good used BBC aluminum block? I haven't had any luck finding a good used one and the least expensive new one I've been able to find is $4600!!!!!

rsk68
08-02-2011, 06:48 PM
What one was $4600?

Yelcamino
08-03-2011, 03:32 AM
What one was $4600?

World Products (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WRL-085501/)

I think the price went up recently, now it's $4695.95!

Vegas69
08-03-2011, 08:15 AM
You don't want a World block for $5 from my research. Get a Dart, Brodix, or GMPP block. I picked up my GMPP ZL1 block for $4200 on craigslist, brand new.

Yelcamino
08-03-2011, 08:25 AM
You don't want a World block for $5 from my research. Get a Dart, Brodix, or GMPP block. I picked up my GMPP ZL1 block for $4200 on craigslist, brand new.

What did your research tell you about the World blocks?

Addicted
08-03-2011, 09:31 AM
It said "Get a RHS LS Race Block!"

rsk68
08-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Todd,

who built your BB for you? you mentioned it once before and i cant remember, i'm thinking Sacramanto area!

mike67cam
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Herb,

I have a World Merlin Lite block in my 67 Camaro. The Merlin Lite was the predecessor to the Merlin X. Todd is right, stay away from these unless you want serious headaches during your engine build. I had several issues with the as-delivered machining of this block and had to dump a bunch of time and money to get everything corrected. The biggest issues were crank counterweight clearance (a factory 427 crank would not fit) as well as cam bearing alignment and clearance. World was absolutely no help and could have cared less. Based on my experience, I wouldn’t recommend buying anything from World.

Now that everything is machined correctly, I haven’t had any issues. The engine is set up as a 509 ci with fuel injection and a Procharger.

Yelcamino
08-03-2011, 12:59 PM
It said "Get a RHS LS Race Block!"

Yeah, that's $4800 not to mention needing a new crank, rods, pistons, heads, intake, headers... basically a completely new engine. I'll stick with my big block.

Yelcamino
08-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Herb,

I have a World Merlin Lite block in my 67 Camaro. The Merlin Lite was the predecessor to the Merlin X. Todd is right, stay away from these unless you want serious headaches during your engine build. I had several issues with the as-delivered machining of this block and had to dump a bunch of time and money to get everything corrected. The biggest issues were crank counterweight clearance (a factory 427 crank would not fit) as well as cam bearing alignment and clearance. World was absolutely no help and could have cared less. Based on my experience, I wouldn’t recommend buying anything from World.

Now that everything is machined correctly, I haven’t had any issues. The engine is set up as a 509 ci with fuel injection and a Procharger.

Thanks for the info Mike. I don't want to open a can of worms by trying to save a few dollars and end up costing more by time I'm done! I'll keep looking.

Yelcamino
08-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Todd, would you happen to have a part number for the GMPP ZL1 block?

rsk68
08-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Gm # 12370850

Vegas69
08-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Mike pretty much summed it up. Just poor machining and engineering.

I had Jason Pettis at www.pettisperformance.com build mine in Hesperia, CA. He's the best!!! Mom and Pops shop and they build some of the baddest stuff on the planet.

Even with my brank new GMPP block, it needed alot of machining to fit inthe stroker crank and get everything where Jason wanted it. You are limited to about 500 cubes with a ZL1 block. GM endurance tested it at 650 hp. Any top notch engine builder will want to check EVERYTHING and dial it in to his specs. This is one instance where you defiinnitely get what you pay for.....

Here's the thread on it.... Bunch of machining photos near the end. http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=25485&highlight=zl1
I chose to reuse my heads and carb which hurt the power a little. Very happy with it.

Yelcamino
08-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Mike pretty much summed it up. Just poor machining and engineering.

I had Jason Pettis at www.pettisperformance.com build mine in Hesperia, CA. He's the best!!! Mom and Pops shop and they build some of the baddest stuff on the planet.

Even with my brank new GMPP block, it needed alot of machining to fit inthe stroker crank and get everything where Jason wanted it. You are limited to about 500 cubes with a ZL1 block. GM endurance tested it at 650 hp. Any top notch engine builder will want to check EVERYTHING and dial it in to his specs. This is one instance where you defiinnitely get what you pay for.....

Here's the thread on it.... Bunch of machining photos near the end. http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=25485&highlight=zl1
I chose to reuse my heads and carb which hurt the power a little. Very happy with it.

Well maybe the GMPP block isn't the right one for me. My current setup is making 619 hp at 6200 rpm. My new cam and head porting should push it over the 700 hp mark.

camaro427-69
08-20-2011, 10:55 PM
i bought my merlin-x block last year for a 540cui build. iīm not an engine pro but i know where to look and what to check and i havenīt had any issues with the block so far. the only thing i donīt like is the power loss you have with the aluminum block but i wanted it to shave weight off my front and thatīs exactly what it did.

pat