PDA

View Full Version : I Need some help

kman67rsss
06-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Ive got a problem, with my 67 rs/ss and right now im so frustrated that i cant even think, and this is my first build so im not even sure where to go. its a BBC with a TKO 600. anyways i was out for a cruze on sunday, left the gas station and got on it a little, maybe 4k. went to grab 2nd and the gear selector wouldnt move, pulled a little harder and finally got it out of 1st and jammed into 2nd. the clutch pedal stayed on the floor and fell back when i pryed it up with my foot. got a little ways and it died at the stop sign, and i got pulled home. i pulled the tranny and motor and inspected everything. looks normal. i changed out the clutch, T.O bearing and pressure plate just incase. put her all back togeher for a show tomorrow and it clutched fine a few times with the car in the air, not running, then all of a sudden the same thing happened.

Tonight i was thinking the spring in the linkage was shot even though its new, but that would prevent the clutch from ingaging not disingaging. when the clutch is to the floor the car is still in gear. the strange thing is it worked fine for almost 500 miles. any help is appreciated as im at a loss right now, and really bummed out over the whole ordeal.

parsonsj
06-25-2005, 05:36 AM
First question: Is your clutch setup a manual linkage? Or hydraulic?

jp

68protouring454
06-25-2005, 05:51 AM
if its manual i owuld look for the return spring for the throwout bearing, it is usually from the block back to the clutch fork, and when leeting off clutch this pulls throwout off and returns pedal, it may have fallen off, other than that look for binding etc
jake

kman67rsss
06-25-2005, 06:10 AM
Its a manual linkage. i have a sprong and bracket that runs from the fork to the frame. thats there and seems to be functioning ok. i was just playing with it and it seems that the Throwout bearing is getting hung up on something. input shaft possibly. it doesnt do it all the time, and when you hit the clutchfork with a hammer, it springs back to normal.

parsonsj
06-25-2005, 08:52 AM
springs back to normal

Is that a violent movement? As if the TOB was hung up in the clutch fingers? Or an alignment issue between the TOB and input shaft sleeve?

jp

yody
06-25-2005, 09:14 AM
you need to inspect your linkage, sounds almost like something is falling off???

kman67rsss
06-25-2005, 11:36 AM
parsons, its a pretty violent snap. it seems like the TO bearing is hanging up but im not sure wher, cant get it stuck while the cars in the air. it also seems i need a different piviot ball with this new clutch as it seems to scrape when trying to go into gear.