PDA

View Full Version : Sub / Amplifier Questions

smittys69
06-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I am currently running (2) 5.25" Rockford Fosgate speakers up front and (2) 6" x 9" Rockford Fosgate speakers in the stock rear tray on my 69 camaro. I also have a Rockford Fosgate amp and Alpine deck. I am wanting to add a subwoofer to the trunk along with an amp. I'm looking for some recommendations as to how many subs to install and what amp to push it. This is not for competition - just good quality sound. I was thinking about (1) 10 or 12" sub placed in an enclosure facing the rear seat. I don't know what I need for an amp or the best place to buy - but I do want everything to work well together as well as look good together. Also, if anyone has any pics of a 69 with custom panels in the trunk, I would appreciate seeing them. Thanks in advance

Pro-touring towncar
06-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Well either a 10 or a 12 would be good for bass. Before mounting the sub and box try a few differant ways of firing it. to see what sounds the best. As for an amp go with a honest 200-300 watts(mono) for the bst sound. Being you already have Rockford go with rockford for the sub and sub amp. Rockford has some good stuff. If your amp is an older design check E-bay for a match.

Tim

WELTERRACER
06-25-2005, 12:40 PM
1st... How much do you want to spend? (great sound doesnt come cheaply)
2nd... Do you like loud bass or just enought to make music sound good?

10s sound better than 12s but are not as loud.. I personally like the 10s.. ive had 15s and while they are very loud, they do not sound as good when playing country or soft rock, they are great if all you listen to is rap and hiphop!

I personally have a set of MTX 8000 series 10 inch subwoofers in my camaro with a MTX 924 amp... 700watts RMS..

VERY LOUD and sound friggin awsome.. Ive installed sterios for years in other peoples cars and my own..

The MTX subs are top notch even compared with JL audio. and are easily half the price and can be purchased on ebay for about $110 a pair and $280 for the amp.. and a good set of 10s only require .6 cubic feet per subwoofer(small box) compared to the 3 cubic feet per subwoofer (very large box) i needed for my 15s i had..

third base
06-25-2005, 06:15 PM
I have installed a lot of stereo's (for friends). if you want pure sound quality I would go with one Boston Acoustics or Diamond Audio 12". These are the two cleanest sounding products on the market (in my, and all of my friends opinions). MTX are great too, but these are much better(I have two MTX 10's in a Bandbass box). Personally I am not into a lot of bass. Had a lot at one point but it soon became very annoying. As for which way to face your enclosure, you want to face it towards the rear of the car (sealed or ported). not only is it louder but it also gives the best sound quality. aiming it to the back of the seat muffles the sound. As for amplifiers, go with the MTX(cheap, good waranty, and pushes a lot of power). If money is no issue, go with Boston Acoustics amps, Zapco, or Alpine. in that order.

Now for a quick opinion, my hobby is car audio so please don't think I am sounding pushy. ditch the fosgate speakers and replace them with Boston Acoustics(sl, or nx series). you will be amazed with the sound they produce. I installed Fosgate speakers for friends and in the long run, all of them have had me replace the fosgates with Bostons. You may have to do a little searching for for these products. one sight you can get these products is woofersetc.com(beware though, not authorized dealer)

P.S. don't let anybody talk you into J.L audio, your only paying for the name. sound quality should raise the price, not the name.

Pro-touring towncar
06-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Third base, you are way off base with JL they are made in the same factory in germany as boston. They will blow Boston out of the water in Sound quality. I have professionaly installed JL and boston and have sold JL over boston 2-1. I have seen Bostons blow way before JL Audios, even the pros No one can tell me that JL is behind Boston in Sound Quality which they are way above. I have been around Car audio for over 15 years and have seen JL audio rise from a store brand,(started as Speaker Warehouses inhouse brand) to become one of the top sound Quality speakers. Boston have been the same for years. I can use what ever I wanted in my vehicles I chose JL Audio because they sound good to me. If you haven't really heard JL don't knock them.

Best advice I give everyone looking to purchase speakers is go and listen to them take a CD of your music and listen to the differant speakers and choose what sounds good to you. You are the one buying them and should be happy with them. weather they ae JL, Boston, Fosgate, or what ever.

Tim

third base
06-26-2005, 08:12 PM
TownCar, You gave great advice. Very true, everybody has their own preferences. As for the JL Audio disagreement, everybody I have talked to(friends, owners of car audio businesses, even Good Guys Sales men who now carry JL over Boston) Agree with me on Bostons sound quality when compared to JL audio. Glad you are happy with JL's sound. In this case,
Agree to Disagree:enguard: