PDA

View Full Version : Turbos for idiots?

SRD art
07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I've been old school carbs and big cams all my life. Now I have a friend that's pushing me toward a build for my wagon that I'm nervous about- He has a TPI set up form a 91 Corvette and two stock turbos from 3.8 Buicks that he would like to see me put on my 406 small block with eutectic flat top pistons. He talks lightly about setting the car up like its no big deal. To me who has no clue about setting up turbos it scares me almost to the point of passing up the great deal I'll be getting on everything.

I don't know anything about boosted motors outside of the basic parts in the system and am a creative sort, which translates to engineering conversations with big words and math hurt my brain. :) Are there any threads, links, books out there that can explain things in a simplified terms for creative right brainers? For example straight explanations for turbo sizing translated to performance, rpm range, boost figures, etc. and what additional parts are required for a turbo build over the stock TPI set up with out requiring a degree in thermodynamics and such to understand a majority of the dialogue.

Bottom line is that the turbos in the engine bay are equally for the wow factor when I pop the hood as they are for power adders. If it only makes 5-7 lbs of boost and 400-450 hp at the wheels I'm ok with that until I can learn more and have a better budget to look for high hp figures.

Thanks a bunch for any help in calming my nerves about all this.

LS1NOVA
07-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Corky Bells book Maximum Boost is a good start. Personally, I wouldnt try to turbo a TPI engine. That intake design runs out of steam n/a. If your used to carbs, just do a blowthrough setup on a nice single plane with a single turbo in the 76-80mm range on E85.

Thrillrr
07-30-2011, 05:37 AM
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

SRD art
07-30-2011, 07:19 AM
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

I think this is what I'm looking for... Thanks!

andrewb70
07-30-2011, 10:16 AM
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/tech_center.html

Andrew

WS6
07-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Corky Bells book Maximum Boost is a good start. Personally, I wouldnt try to turbo a TPI engine. That intake design runs out of steam n/a. If your used to carbs, just do a blowthrough setup on a nice single plane with a single turbo in the 76-80mm range on E85.

You're correct but once you start forcing the air into this intake with a supercharger or turbo, it works wonderfully.

DButler
07-30-2011, 02:13 PM
The link for turbo forums is the best. If you cant find what you are looking for on there then you might as well stop lol. I wouldn't do a tpi engine either JMO...I would do tons of research as your igniton and fuel system are the most important. I run a 6al with btm built in and I run complete aeromotive setup with boost referenced regulator. Make sure you budget in a wideband setup.I would take and look up Brent Davis. He is the blow through guru. Trust me though the most important thing I can tell you is do research research research. There is more to it then just throwing on two turbos and going. Trust me I know from experience. I had to learn the hard way by buying parts where suppose to work with my setup but wouldn't. If you ever have it to make boost and you hear and feel the power there is no going back haha

shmoov69
08-01-2011, 07:34 PM
It'll never work!! LOL!

That's what I was told 11 years ago.......they were wrong!
I'd prolly go blow thru over TPI, but that's me and carbs are easier for me to understand. The GN turbos will be a bit small on a 406, still will work but run out of steam pretty quickly....maybe 5000 rpm quick. Hypers will work if you are careful and know to let out if it isn't running right...which is the most important thing to it living.

Research, research, research!

Larry Callahan
08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
You may get a kick out of the inside of my plenums. Check out the link below for all the pictures.

I would not recommend going this route. In the next few weeks I am swapping the entire intake out for a Holley Stealth Ram.

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14201

This is what I am running

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14239

This is what I am switching to

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=35289

gui67
08-01-2011, 09:17 PM
You may get a kick out of the inside of my plenums. Check out the link below for all the pictures.

I would not recommend going this route. In the next few weeks I am swapping the entire intake out for a Holley Stealth Ram.

Hello Larry,
Why don't you recommend you first intake? Is it too complicated because of the individual TB, or is it because of the 2 individial plenums, or something else?
I am curious.

DButler
08-02-2011, 04:15 AM
I am also looking to switch over to the new holley setup, but I dont want to go stealth ram. I want to go with the hp kit with a throttle body. Holleys kit seems to be the bang for the buck. Seems to be very nice and very easy to tune.

Larry Callahan
08-02-2011, 04:50 AM
Hello Larry,
Why don't you recommend you first intake? Is it too complicated because of the individual TB, or is it because of the 2 individial plenums, or something else?
I am curious.

I am unable to keep all the throttle bodies in tune and I can't get all 8 cylinders to flow the same AFR. I may revisit this intake some day when I have access to a flow bench but for now I am tired of it not running right.

SRD art
08-05-2011, 07:02 AM
This is all great info, thanks a bunch guys. Originally I had planned a boosted LS swap for the car, but for now that didn't fit the budget. Body and suspension work comes first. The TPI is a very inexpensive way for me to get efi on the car temporarily until I can do the LS. Since the TPI isn't permanent I'm opting to just build a low budget torquey n/a TPI 406 for now and do as you guys suggest, research research research. By the time I can afford it I'll be ready for the big horsepower LS!!

Thanks again for the input, it's been helpful in deciding what to do!

grenade inspector
08-05-2011, 02:24 PM
thanks for the helpful info everyone, its always nice to read more.

Nope, you're boxing all that up and sending it to me.... those jedi classes better have worked.... :doh:

seriously though looks like a real nice setup.

twinturbo69
09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Larry-

Are you going to run the Holley ECU that comes with the kit as well? I am running the Holley Stealth ram with 84 lb/hr injectors and the engine runs very smooth and was tuned relativey quickly. I am using the older generation FAST ECU (W-COM) with the single bank O2 and would like to upgrade to the newer gen XFI setup for better cylinder to cylinder control.

I never got a chance to ask you what you are running for headers as I bought a cast iron setup, but was curious how you combated under hood heat since your turbos are mounted relatively high like mine with respect to the hood.

Larry Callahan
09-13-2011, 09:44 PM
I swapped out the ECU for the Dominator. I wanted some of the options it has and it will control an automatic if I ever go that route. I am running a set of tubular headers made by John Parsons. Due to things being mounted high I wrapped everything. How they will hold up long term I'm not sure with the wrap. I am considering trying to have them coated and see what that does.

My big issue is I have so much stuff crammed under the hood and the wider inner fender that air flow around the engine is not all that great. It gets pretty hot under the hood. Hot enough that I think some air vents like the ones Anvil makes may be in my future.

opnwide
09-14-2011, 05:33 AM
I would use that 406 and the GN turbos. You've already got it, right? Even with TPI, you'll make 450-500hp to the wheels with around 6-8lbs boost (and even more torque). Look at the twin turbo callaway vettes of the 80s for motivation. They were conservatively tuned for 400hp. As far as running out of steam at 5000rpms, don't bet on it. I cammed my pontiac for 5000rpms, knowing the turbos will add another 1000rpms on top of it. I've got to shift fast to avoid my rev limiter set at 6200! I also believe those pistons will survive 6lbs boost if you keep your AFRs nice and fat and drop 10 degrees of timing from it at full boost.

poboyracin
09-14-2011, 10:34 AM
The Turbo Bible (http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbotech/main.htm)is a good read also.

MonzaRacer
12-16-2011, 11:56 AM
UH over on theturboforums.com search for The Grenade. 357 sbc on a fac tpi with later twin GN turbos ran in 10s and even down in 9s with little turbos if I remember correctly, he swapped in TE44 GN up grade turbos because he was beating the stockers up so bad and eating thrusts out as he was over speeding the turbos, but it would make 22 psi and sometimes even 25.
here is link: http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/the-builds-board-hall-of-fame-builds/how-long-till-it-grenades-%28-it-never-did!-go-figure-%29-grenade-part-2-to-come/

This car wound up in the mid 9s and NOT real complicated or exotic. NEVER let anyone tell you you HAVE to spend $10k to go fast. I have done it with parts from the trash can.