PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Mustang LS3

mikeny3
07-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Getting ready to start my project after a few months of research and collecting parts.
I live on Long Island NY and in the military.
1970 Mustang Sports roof
LS3/T56
AJE front suspension with 04 cobra brakes
2004 Mustang IRS/Brakes 2" drop from DVS
2010 Mustang F/R leather seats and Seat belts

I have a bunch of questions and hope the forum members can help.

conciseautosports
07-26-2011, 04:43 PM
This is a great forum with tons of nice rides.
I'm on l.I. As well.
I haven't checked on here in a while but hopefully will be more active and post pics of some of the builds I got going on.

Where are you located??
Sounds like a good project you got!

cobragt
07-26-2011, 09:41 PM
If you don't mind me asking, why the Chevy motor?

mikeny3
07-27-2011, 02:41 AM
I'm in Patchogue LI. I am using the LS3 for a few reasons. Size was my first consideration. The mustang has a tight engine bay and the LS is compact compared to any offering from ford. I got a really good deal on the LS and it should be over 500hp with headers and a K&N filter. If the new 5.0 was a better fit, that's what I would have installed.

The Stickman
07-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Zachalanche
07-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Welcome. Looks like we are buidling similar cars for similar reasons. the LS is hard to beat as far as price, power, sze and weight are concerned. Mine is a 70 mach 1 with stroked LS3 and t56 magnum. I've always been a die hard ford fan and I think they build a good engine (especially for forced induction aplications), but all of their new stuff is expensive, heavy and hard to sqeeze into older mustangs.

mikeny3
07-29-2011, 02:38 AM
Zach, what headers are you planning on going with?

Zachalanche
07-29-2011, 07:01 AM
not sure yet. I do know the LS and the SBF have the same exhaust port spacing so welding the LS flange on to a set of ford headers is one of my options.

Rols574
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Ok so this is another way to go......LOL
I've been looking at the new Coyote engine to fit on my mustang. Too many people ask "why?" and assume its the bling factor. For me its the MPG. My car is a daily driver and getting a pushrod engine to give me the same power than the coyote then im looking into a 8MPG 351 or 408 engine. Very counter intuitive. I did not want to put an LSx into the mustang but if it saves me having to make any modifications to the shock towers and having to spend extra money on Grigg's or MII suspension then im all for it.
Please do post pictures of your engine install.

@Zachalanche - you have a build thread?

Speedy911
09-12-2011, 06:11 PM
LSx makes so much more sense over old Ford pushrods. The newer technology, efficiency, reusable gaskets, aluminum blocks, aluminum heads, composite intakes all from factory. It is without a better choice.

The only other type of motor I would go with are Modulars and/or Coyotes.

Props to you bud!

Zachalanche
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Ok so this is another way to go......LOL
I've been looking at the new Coyote engine to fit on my mustang. Too many people ask "why?" and assume its the bling factor. For me its the MPG. My car is a daily driver and getting a pushrod engine to give me the same power than the coyote then im looking into a 8MPG 351 or 408 engine. Very counter intuitive. I did not want to put an LSx into the mustang but if it saves me having to make any modifications to the shock towers and having to spend extra money on Grigg's or MII suspension then im all for it.
Please do post pictures of your engine install.

I have a whole back log of pictures so I should start a build thread. finding a picture hosting site that I can view from work has been a challenge, also laziness has been a contributing factor in me not having a build thread.

LSx makes so much more sense over old Ford pushrods. The newer technology, efficiency, reusable gaskets, aluminum blocks, aluminum heads, composite intakes all from factory. It is without a better choice.

The only other type of motor I would go with are Modulars and/or Coyotes.

Props to you bud!

I like to think of the LS as the best ford engine chevy ever built. same bore spacing and exhaust port spacing as the ford small blocks, in fact I've even heard that an ls head can bolt on to a sbf with minor modification. I like fords new engines as well, but size, weight , and price steered me away.

mikeny3, have you started a build thread yet?

1970 TT Rustang
09-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey, welcome iam in patchogue also, you picked a good year!! Any questions send me a pm, Iam tuned in.

Greasy63
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
welcome dude!:geek:

...but im still waiting on pics :)

Zachalanche
09-15-2011, 10:43 AM

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?83047-Half-Breed&p=836891#post836891

Rols574
09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?83047-Half-Breed&p=836891#post836891

LOL, already subscribed!