PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floor Paint

hotdog
06-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Has anyone ever used the rust oleum garage floor paint? Im planning on finishing my floor. Just dont know if I should paint or seal.

thanks

kmcanally
06-24-2005, 11:36 AM
I have not used any paint yet on my floor but will soon. I am not familar with RO's floor paint...but was considering this www.ucoatit.com

Blaster11
06-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Try this site they are always talking about finishing garage floors and anything else garage. www.garagejunkies.net

c.schulz
06-25-2005, 05:34 AM
Ive tried some of the epoxy paints and they never hold up.If you are looking at epoxy look into a machine that will etch your concrete.Acid washing just isnt strong enough.
Try concrete stains.They penetrate the floor and is not a top coat.But does create a barrier to resist stains.
The only epoxy's that work are the very high dollar industrial stuff.Good luck

Chris

Bill Howell
06-27-2005, 07:00 PM
PM Charley Lillard and ask him what he used on his floor. I am sure he could repost the pictures to give you an idea of how it looks.

Fluid Power
06-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Like any paint, prep is the key. I helped a buddy paint a garage floor that was 42 years old. He went extreme and called in the local floor guys that do warehouse floors and had the floor shot-peened. It was $600 but made all the difference in the world. We have tortured that floor and sweep it out, it looks as good as the day we painted it.

Darren

parsonsj
06-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Key question: will cars be parked on this floor? If so, you need to go to extreme measures to keep the hot tires from eventually ruining the finish. If you don't park cars on it, then lots of products will work fine.

jp

CAMAROBOY69
06-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Like JP said and the rest of the guys in here, if your not going to abuse the floor too much then just about anything EPOXY will work. But if your going to be parking on it and abusing it then spend the extra money to get the industrial strength epoxy paint. Most of the good stuff doesnt even smell horrible.

hotdog
06-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Well, I decided to go with the Rust oleum kit. Overall i am very pleased with the product. One side of the garage will be used for the wifes car. But i am getting a rubber mat for her section. The other side will be for my two project camaro's, 67 pro-touring and a 68 pro-street.

I purchased 3 gallons of the degreaser/ etcher. It took me 4 hours to prepare the floor. Painting took 2 hours. I have been letting set cure for the last four days. Tonight i will be moving tools and cars back in.

I will keep you guys posted on how it holds up.

Dave

harshman
07-01-2005, 08:56 AM
i'm going with vct tile - the same stuff used in target, walmart and most grocery stores. having owned a grocery store, this tile will hold up to anything and if it gets marred just apply a new coat of wax.

jy211
07-01-2005, 10:35 AM
home depot offers a service that comes in and does all the neccessary work. (but you still have to clean out the garage first)

They offer in a bunch of different colors.....they said for a 2 car garage it runs around $600 bucks....

Fluid Power
07-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Where do you get VCT tile? I would assume a commercial flooring place....Can it be installed by a DYI'r?

Darren

suh weet
07-01-2005, 07:23 PM
I used Muscle Gloss in red. Came out pretty good.

http://www.musclegloss.com/

harshman
07-02-2005, 10:37 AM
vct - home depot. just make sue that you wax it prior to use.

Johnjan
07-05-2005, 09:44 AM
I used the UCoatIt product and it has worked excellent. Very abrasion resistant, tires do not seem to phase it. I would use it again.

ahowudoin
03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Where are the tools and equpiment? Not much going on to mess the floor up.:razz:
I used the UCoatIt product and it has worked excellent. Very abrasion resistant, tires do not seem to phase it. I would use it again.

quarterstang86
04-18-2006, 06:08 AM
After purchasing my first home, I decided I wanted the garage floor to be a coated one. After looking around, and seeing the local Home Depot/Lowes stuff in person at friends houses I decided on going one step further.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_3000&L2=L2_3080

This stuff is killer! It's all in the preparation / application. I have both my mustangs in the garage. All it takes to clean it is a quick sweep and then I break out the mop bucket w/ warm water and a cleaning aid (orange cleaner, simple green) diluted of course. The floor actually cures to a clear hard top coat and always has a shine to it.

mdprovee
04-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Once coated, how slippery is it. Is there anything to help with slipping on a wet floor?

quarterstang86
04-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Once coated, how slippery is it. Is there anything to help with slipping on a wet floor?

It's not slippery at all unless you like working in brand new cotton socks. :) With flip flops or any rubber / leather sole shoe it's fine. It is slippery when wet but what floor isn't?

Ackattack
05-01-2006, 01:57 PM
someone on LS1tech said this was good

www.epoxy-coat.com

ILLEGAL69
05-19-2006, 03:58 AM
Is the VCT tile fire retardent? Can I weld in my garage without worring about the floor catching on fire?

Jim Nilsen
05-20-2006, 04:20 AM
The tile will not catch on fire but will get a burn mark in it. Any other floor covering will also get a burn mark in it. The nice thing about the tile is you can replace it when it gets too bad and it won't look so out of place as when you try to paint back over epoxy,plust the epoxy will tend to peel back off of itself in most cases.

No matter what kind of floor you have other than steel, welding will cause it's problems to it. If you really want to protect your floor when welding you need to get welding blankets or a sheet of steel or aluminum that will take the heat. It's not the answer most of us want to hear but it is a reality you have to live with. Sometimes just plain cement with a good sealer and wax is the easiest to maintain. If you use regular cheap floor paint you can redo the floor more often for less money and it will look new for a good while in most cases.There is nothing cheap about a nice floor and being able to keep it that way.

Sometimes Racedeck seems like a livable solution even though the initial cost is high it is easily replaced and can be taken with you when you move.

Jim Nilsen