PDA

View Full Version : Sad Canadian

Ishmael
08-31-2004, 12:28 PM
I kept reading about and hearing about this site and when I finally checked it out I must have spent 4 hours just looking at cars. As you can tell from the title, I'm from Canada (Clinton, Ontario). I'd love to know if there is anyone else on the site from my area. I've been spending time at local shows trying to find anyone with the same mindset that I have and have had no luck till now. You can imagine how happy I was when I landed here.
I'll tell you a little about my car - it should make you sad. I have a 68 firebird convertible. I've had it since I was 15 (15 years ago now). I drove it into the ground as a teen and I'm just starting to get it back in shape. Here's the sad part: almost dead 350,2.73's,14" rims, manual drums.
I'm trying to plan it out well so I can continue driving it as a I put it back together. I'm also trying to do it on as little $ as possible. I'll be watching what everyone does and asking a lot of questions.
Scott

Ralph LoGrasso
08-31-2004, 12:43 PM
Welcome aboard, Scott! I think there are a few other members from Canada.

Kenova
08-31-2004, 04:25 PM
My name is Ken, and I am Canadian. :cheers:

Just one question--- where the hell is Clinton??? :dunno:
I'm in Lindsay, about 75k NE of Oshawa.
I have more of a drag racing mentality but also like the feel of lateral Gs. I think it has something to do with the way I was raised. :seizure: Unfortunately I live about 3hrs from the nearest strip. Pro-touring.com has guided me in making long term plans that should make my Nova more enjoyable to drive, if I ever get it back on the road.
The early Firebirds seem to be gaining in popularity around central Ont. Probably because of the prices that early Camaros are commanding. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are also a few early 'Birds here at PT.com.
Welcome aboard, I'm sure you will learn a lot. I have. :geek:
Ken

HOT OHC
09-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Hey Scott, Your story sounds similar to mine. I bought my 67' Firebird in 1980 a few weeks before I started my senior year in high school. It was bone stock OHC6 Sprint with 3 on the floor and all drum. I had 14" wheels up in till a few months ago, although I had done a bit of motor and suspension work (mostly Herb Adams Products)

I now have 17's, Speed Tech upper/lower A-arms, QA1 coilovers and working towards Wilwood Discs. As you have already seen there are a lot of good people and good info here.

67Sally
09-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the Forum Scott.

Ishmael
09-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys, happy to be aboard.

Ishmael
09-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Ken,
Clinton is on the other side of Toronto from you. I'm right on Lake Huron but more importantly, half an hour north of Grand Bend Raceway! I remember it when it was just getting restarted.
The firebird prices seem to be on par than the base camaros but any camaro with a badge is getting really expensive. I bought the car when I was 15 before all the prices started to climb because I just fell in love with it before I knew anything about cars. I wanted a bike. I'm glad I found the bird though. The only down side to these "other" GM pony cars is that while the cars are still affordable, parts are pretty scarce and expensive.
Have you ever checked out Paradise Alley or Early Birds for used parts? I wonder what they are like. I have some sources down around the Stoney Creek area if you need used mechanical parts. Let me know and I'll shoot you their numbers. Any other Ontario residents on-line?

Rybar
09-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, another Canadian here. But from the other side of the coast. Vancouver, BC

Not too many pro-touring style cars out here, but they are starting to pop up here and there.

Kenova
09-02-2004, 06:23 PM
, half an hour north of Grand Bend Raceway!

Must be nice!!!!!!!!!! Some guys have all the luck.

It's been quite a while since I've had to buy any resto parts. In the past I've delt with Year One with good results. If you deal with someone State side, don't forget about currency exchange, PST, GST, and UPS's brokerage fees. They all add up in a hurry.

If I need any used parts, I'll keep you in mind. Everything around here has been crushed. :crying:
Ken

Ishmael
09-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Sounds like the Canadians are few and far between (Vancouver!)

Rjrock
09-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Checking in from Alberta

Ishmael
09-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Any of you make it to the Canadian Nats in Owen Sound this year? Just wondering what the PT scene is like elsewhere in the Great White North?

Kenova
09-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Any of you make it to the Canadian Nats in Owen Sound this year? Just wondering what the PT scene is like elsewhere in the Great White North?
Didn't go to the 'NATS, but did go to the Oshawa Autofest. We got VERY wet. I didn't see much in the way of PT cars in Oshawa, but did see a few in Manchester at Haugen's Big One. That's a cruise-in the Wed. before Autofest that usually attracts more than a 1000 cars. One early Camaro had a Global West suspension, Baer brakes, and an LSI/T56 swap. For the most part, PT cars are still scarce around here, but I'm seeing some PT influence on other types of cars.
Ken