PDA

View Full Version : The 450hp budget PT plan

Marty G Cars
06-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Please give me some input regarding the planning of the rear for my new 68 Camaro budget PT project. Originally I was going to go get a new complete Moser 12-bolt w/3.73 gears, brakes and everything, but then this did not really sound like a move that would allow me to keep a modest budget. (I have already gone over a bit by ordering a CC5S TKO600). I then did some searching and discovered that if I wasn't planning to go over maybe 450hp or so and ever run slicks (street or track), it may be possible to run a properly built 8.5 10 bolt. I read about this in the PHR tech article Budget 10-Bolt Upgrade.

My Camaro came with a non stock, monoleaf 8.5 10-bolt already installed. At least that is what I have been told. The casting numbers on the housing are as follows;

Right rear O 162
Right front GM 7
Left front N (above this string) 1235542

Any clue as to what this rear came out of, a truck, van or which car? The spring/shock anchor plates bolt on without U-bolts and there is only room to run a mono leaf. How would I change the set up to run DSE 3" drop multi leafs?

If possible I would like to utilize this 10-bolt with the proper improvements to work with the ZZ383, disk brakes (maybe), DSE 3" drop leafs and proper shocks.

What's the verdict? :dunno:

USAZR1
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
You need a plan "before" you start to spend the funds. :pat: A TKO-600 is nice but not needed for a 450hp SBC. What have you already purchased?

WELTERRACER
06-24-2005, 08:32 PM
You should have just went with a T56 out of a camaro or firebird..

A stock 10 bolt with a set of gears and a aftermarket carrier will easily handle the 450hp you are going to make..

Ive force fed the stock 7.5 diff in my camaro with anywhere from 400-600hp for the past 8 years and the only thing that breaks is the gears (with an automatic tranny only with a heavy shift kit) and the 7.5 diffs are weak as hell

Joe_Rocket
06-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I followed that same article, "Budget 10-Bolt Upgrade" when putting together the rear for my 69. I found a 73 Nova with 8.5 10 bolt in the 3rd junk yard I went to. I could've had it complete for $150, but I decided to rip the guts out and go with the bare housing for $50. And that was because I wanted to go with forged axles and all new parts.

Marty G Cars
06-25-2005, 03:37 AM
The reason that I did not go with a T56 is that I've already had three of them and I wanted something different. I really only needed the TKO500 but I liked the gearing of the TKO600 better and the price difference was very small. It will also allow me to add power down the road if I want to. The tranny is the only drivetrain purchase I have made. I have pulled the interior out and plan to put it back to stock except for the front seats which will be the Scat Rally 2000.

The plan for the front suspension is Delrin bushings on stock upper and lower control arms and then add the new ATS spindle when available.

I would like to keep the brakes simple but have a traditional vacuum boosted system with maybe 12" disc up front and either an 11" disc at the rear or maybe even a large 11" drum.

I will keep the 350 that is in it for a while until I make my mind up on a SBC replacement. The goal is to get as much hp as I can on a non LSx motor with enough vacuum at idle to power the brakes.

My plan may not be as budget minded to some of you, but compared to my 638ci 69 Camaro or the trailer queen show truck that I sold, the goal is to have a driver that is simple with some basic PT mods.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated. Was anyone able to figure out what type of vehicle was the source for the 8.5 10-bolt that came in my 68.