PDA

View Full Version : roll cage help

69blackwhss
07-21-2011, 04:41 AM
i have a 69 camaro an thinking of doing a roll cage like a 6 point. what would u all think would be the best one to go with that i can install myself r when i get my body redone let my body man do it..

69blackwhss
07-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Anyone

NOT A TA
07-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Your question leads to a lot of other questions before anyone might make recommendations. Safety equipment is kind of a touchy subject. There are several threads in this gen tech and safety section about bars vs cages, uses, materials etc. that you might find informative. 6 points is usually a roll BAR not a roll CAGE. A bar having all tubing behind or below the drivers shoulders and a cage including additional tubing above and in front of drivers shoulders. The frequent questions asked are. Do you NEED a rollbar or cage to enter certain events or do you just want one? Are you going to race the car at any of the regular sanctioning bodies like NHRA, SCCA, NMCA, NASA, or the Land Speed Racing organizations? Are you planning on letting anyone ever ride in the back seat? Are you planning on the correct seats and harnesses to go with a particular roll bar or cage? Weld in or bolt in?

The "best" one for your application will depend on your budget, available installers and your expectations of fit and quality. In the end it will be a personal decision to go with some type of kit or have a custom fabricated piece. Recommendations for your car would be based on your answers to the questions above as well as perhaps other questions that will arise based on your first answers.

69blackwhss
07-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Mmm ok I would use it for show an for my safety an I would still need to use my back seat I seen one with a pull out pin where the middle bar would move out of the way to let people in back seat. I don't race beside light to light r one time a year down the track. Also am just wanting it to go along the roof down my a-pillar an down the rear package tray. An the seats r all stock rite now but mite go to The Sport Seat made by corbeau. An for the middle bar I don't think will work to good with thoses seats so is there one that u don't need a middle bar? An I can weld so that ain't a problem but I would like it to be close to the body panlens I seen some were u could put a hand in bweeten the bar an roof of the car an I know I don't want one like that

kmcanally
07-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Based on your your response to Johns post I would recommend an Autopower bolt in 4 point bar with the optional removable crossbar. I believe most people buy these bars for the purpose of a shoulder harness mount on the crossbar...I am going to put one in my car for that reason. There are some other kit options out there with questionable fit at best...so short of that you will need to find a welder/fabricator in your area that can do a custom job exactly like you want.

http://www.autopowerindustries.com/rollbars.asp

69blackwhss
07-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Does anyone have one that they put in there Camaro their self that could tell me if they like theirs?

NOT A TA
07-23-2011, 06:18 AM
If you want a 6 point with tubing along the roof perimeter and down the A pillars you are looking at a roll cage. 2 points at the A pillar base, 2 points where the main hoop attaches behind the front seats, and the 2 toward the trunk area. With only 6 points as you mentioned in your first post it would be a rather unusual design and not very strong considering the amount of tubing and work involved IMO. I have not seen any cages built like that since the 70's so you probably won't find folks here who have built one like that themselves to give you an opinion of how they like theirs simply because there probably aren't any.

I will mention that if you have only lap belts in the rear with stock seats you will be putting your rear passengers at risk even if you install a removable harness bar. During a side impact they might smash their heads , arms, etc. on the tubes by the sail panels that go toward the trunk area.

Based on the information you've provided so far I think kmcanallys recommendation of a removable type bar like the Autopower might be a good choice. You could use it for your occasional track events and when you wouldn't have rear passengers. I have one of their 4 point bolt in roll bars in one of my cars and can install or remove it in about 30 to 45 minutes total alone. I will not let anyone ride in back with the bar in place even with the harness bar removed.

You might try starting a thread like "Show me your 1st gen F body roll bars/cages" to get some pics to look at and a discussion started. You are not alone, there are more and more people installing safety equipment in PT cars now. Everyones needs, wants, application, and vehicle use is different so there's no "best" bar or cage for everyone. The more info you have, the more likely you will be happy in the end.

69blackwhss
07-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Ok an I'll try a new thread thanks for the info an i don't have people ride in the back maybe 2-4 times a year an I really don't want the middle bar unless I had to have it u know an thanks for making me think about the rear seat hitting there heads r something never did think of that on the rear bar I did on the middle bar

Gitter Dun
07-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Autopower makes a 6 point bolt together cage that is NASA and SCCA approved. They are custom fit for 1st gen Camaros at about $1000. I believe you can still buy them through Pegasus Racing Equipment. IIRC the rules state thet the plates on the floor(to be legal) need to be 27 sq inches.

69blackwhss
07-23-2011, 03:06 PM
U all over this lol I'll look them up I believe someone told me about them in this thread with the link an btw I like Ur saying about don't drive faster then Ur angels an fly very nicely said!!
Autopower makes a 6 point bolt together cage that is NASA and SCCA approved. They are custom fit for 1st gen Camaros at about $1000. I believe you can still buy them through Pegasus Racing Equipment. IIRC the rules state thet the plates on the floor(to be legal) need to be 27 sq inches.