PDA

View Full Version : New from Buford GA with 67 cougar

428PI
07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Hello All,
I think this is the direction I want to take my car it will have to be in stages since I am not independantly wealthy, I have lots of questions some probably stupid but I appreciate any help given. My cougar is a original 390 4 speed car of course the 4 speed is gone but pedals are still there ( 5 speed or 6 speed in the future). Right now I will probably go more upgraded stock front give me some fun ideas suspension and body mods that I can do myself.

Thanks,
John W.

I will post pics and start a build thread when I get home if I can figure out how to post pics.

The Stickman
07-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the forum. Love to see it when you post pics.

cobragt
07-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Welcome aboard, I'm over in Lilburn, GA. Not far from you.

428PI
07-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Cobragt glad to know others in the area, you wouldn't happen to know a good machine shop ?
Here is what I started with after removing more rat crap than i have ever seen.

http://https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/P7052766-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/P70527691-1.jpg

cobragt
07-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Ball Machine on Arcado is around the corner from where I work but I've never needed to use them. Car looks like a good starting point, Now you need to start a build thread.

cobragt
07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Are you going to the Peach State Muscle car challenge August 5, 6 and 7?

sr73bu
07-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Love that car! Its got a pretty cool "time capsule" look to it right now... Good luck with the build!

-Sean

rustomatic
07-20-2011, 08:51 PM
You can get an amazingly responsive car with well-chosen stock-configuration Mustang stuff, and even maintain decent suspension travel. I recently entered the rolling good after throwing everything away stage with my Falcon, but I had lots of experience with old Mustangs in the past. I've got a T5 in it, which really seems to make my new Indian 5-leafs wrap a bit on take-off, but hey, I'm not a drag racer. I'm also a bit annoyed at how difficult it is to get rid of tire rub in the rear. That said, the four/three-bar deals are starting to look more attractive, from the perspectives of greatly reduced axle wrap and positive, consistent axle location (tire rub avoidance); I just hate the aesthetics of the coilover mounts at the axle. Just don't go Mustang II on the front, unless the thing's rusted to death. The pictures look great, by the way!

428PI
07-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Cobragt I have been out of the local car scene for a looong time, but I may try to make it to watch the racing being an a/c tech I am real busy this time of year.
Yeah it's a time capsule right now when I bought it last year the tag was from the early to mid 80's, suposedly it was in car craft in the 80's and Charlie Peppers ( drag racer in the area) built the 390, but it's also a cobrajet 390 ( Ford never made one) and a Shelby because it had a Shelby cobra glued to the dash :dunno:. Next stop build thread maybe this weekend i will have time to post what I have done with more pics and get some feed back she needs a name maybe "Predator" or go the other direction "Hello Kitty".

Thanks for the welcome,
John W.

eldogg
07-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Hi and welcome to the board. I'm in Gainesville. My shop is off 985 Exit 20. Let me know if need anything.

chaz75
07-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I love old cougars and welcome to the site.

Zee
07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Welcome and cool car. My buddy has an original 428 Cyclone CJ that he got from his father who was the original owner. Prior to ebay, we travelled all over the country for parts. His dad now has a Maurader that has the Shelby aluminum block, edlebrock heads and dual quads. Mercurys are cool but I don't envy you getting parts. Good thing yours looks pretty complete and solid.

428PI
07-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes.
Zee yeah I like to be different allways have, I had a 72 mustang before they were "cool" now they are hard to find for a decent price, had a 64 galaxie before they were cool, 65 comet the same they all were very difficult to find parts for in the early to mid 90's, and the 68 montego that like a DA I gave to a "buddy" I only found two in the six years I looked for a replacement for, one all ready done the other total POS. This car was stored in a chicken coupe since the 80's all the hard to find and expensive parts are gone ( power steering, A/C components, 4 speed, crome air cleaner assembly, ect.,ect.) car was drag raced and beaten pretty hard but the shell is in real good shape, could it be restored yeah but like Harold Dutton told a guy about a mustang " Why would I want to cut up a piece of SH* T?

Thanks
John W.

Jims78elky
07-22-2011, 12:10 AM
I have always loved those cars, for some inspiration and maybe a few idea's check out Stacy Davids project, its big buck$$$ of course,but its going to be a sick azz ride!

http://staceydavid.com/projects/v8-interceptor

Keep those pictures and questions coming, we love new projects...welcome to the fun!

:cheers:

LowFast
07-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Keep the paint! That thing looks mean with the patina.

Ripped
07-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Good to see a cougar being restored. Sounds like you have a good combo. Lots of the mustang under-chassis stuff, is a simple bolt in.

There is a lot of easy/cheap changes that you can do to the front suspension, to make better.
Unfortunately the rubber bushing stock strut rod, is a real weak link in the handling department. Even if you keep the stock style UCA's and LCA's, replace the strut, with an aftermarket heim or ball joint type unit.

Cheers

protouring70
07-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Welcome aboard. If you've noticed there are a few locals on here. I am in Braselton. And you need to come out and watch the event coming up. Its about an he's drive. Well worth it.

RS_Customs
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Welcome! Nice car to start with.

Like Cobragt and Protouring70 said, since your close, you should come join us for PSMC, you will have a great time meeting the PT guys and running your car if you want.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?79839-PSMC3-Info-and-Registration-Open-!

Robert

SparkyRnD
07-22-2011, 05:08 PM
welcome to the club from Acworth. As Robert mentioned, you really need to come check out the PSMC as it is one heck of an event and you'll see lots of PT cars that will knock your socks off

428PI
07-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Thanks Again for the welcome this forum and it's members seem awesome lots of talent and very friendly. Like I posted earlier I will try to atleast come watch the cars run, but being an air conditioning technichian this is my busy season, and like this weekend I have a 85 year old friend that owns some stores in N GA that I help out when I can. Make the money now play with cars as I get a chance. I would love to run my car, but I think it would be a scary ride.
Have to finish the brakes.
1980's dry rotted bias ply tires ( will want some input on this in near future max size front/rear)
Ball joints shot their wad along time ago
All the rubber suspension bushings are dry rotted front and back
Left rear spring is bent at least 3/4" at an angle ie rear is hanging out one side about an inch
Have to get a new tank or have it cleaned out every other time I crank it the holley gets crap in the needle/seat
Have to finish making my fan shroud she gets to 200+ just idling for extended duration
Have to finish upper radiator mount installed AL radiator upper mount is too narrow to use
Need to measure up the chassis the shock towers were cracked previously,and front lower subframes are kind of hammered, in addition to having a very small crack on the passenger side frame extension where it meets the floor pan.
C-6 slips on occasion
Want to pull the engine/trans and check them out don't want to kill them yet I can't stand to push a car

All said I wanna make it safe before I bring it out of my drive way
I could bring the torino it's in better shape suspension wise, but it might be hard to corner with sitting on a paint can with the doors off, and the 351c distributor is stuck in the block so I can't set the timing yet :).

I am going to try to start a build thread this weekend gotta head to N GA soon.

Thanks
John W.

cobragt
07-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Believe me my car is nowhere near ready, Just got my springs yesterday. I will be out to watch Saturday for sure not sure about Sunday and am planning on the Friday cruise and track tour with my Dad in his 86 Mustang ( I'm not even going to ask him to let me beat on his car) I really want to run but like you said the car needs to be safe. Come out and watch and meet the group. That's my plan, hope to see you there!

Thanks Again for the welcome this forum and it's members seem awesome lots of talent and very friendly. Like I posted earlier I will try to atleast come watch the cars run, but being an air conditioning technichian this is my busy season, and like this weekend I have a 85 year old friend that owns some stores in N GA that I help out when I can. Make the money now play with cars as I get a chance. I would love to run my car, but I think it would be a scary ride.
Have to finish the brakes.
1980's dry rotted bias ply tires ( will want some input on this in near future max size front/rear)
Ball joints shot their wad along time ago
All the rubber suspension bushings are dry rotted front and back
Left rear spring is bent at least 3/4" at an angle ie rear is hanging out one side about an inch
Have to get a new tank or have it cleaned out every other time I crank it the holley gets crap in the needle/seat
Have to finish making my fan shroud she gets to 200+ just idling for extended duration
Have to finish upper radiator mount installed AL radiator upper mount is too narrow to use
Need to measure up the chassis the shock towers were cracked previously,and front lower subframes are kind of hammered, in addition to having a very small crack on the passenger side frame extension where it meets the floor pan.
C-6 slips on occasion
Want to pull the engine/trans and check them out don't want to kill them yet I can't stand to push a car

All said I wanna make it safe before I bring it out of my drive way
I could bring the torino it's in better shape suspension wise, but it might be hard to corner with sitting on a paint can with the doors off, and the 351c distributor is stuck in the block so I can't set the timing yet :).

I am going to try to start a build thread this weekend gotta head to N GA soon.

Thanks
John W. If it's getting to 200 idling I'd check the radiator and thermostat. My Cobra kept overheating, New Radiator took care of it.

BulldawgMusclecars
07-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the forum! There are lots of great people here, and tons of good information.

protouring70
07-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Sounds like the engine was pretty strong if Charlie Peppers built it. He is a WELL know person around these woods. I would freshen it up and focus on all the other! And if you happy with the forum now just wait it gets better when you can put faces with the names.

428PI
07-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Yeah the research I have done on Charie Peppers is pretty impresive I think the statement from another forum was he could build a big block that would rev like a small block for half the price of any one else. The engine sounds and feels like it has alot of potential, just need to get the carb straight, fix some header bolts ( couple pair of vise grips holding the rear flanges). I would really like to meet him and everyone else, back in the day I hung out alot with Harold Dutton "Drag Hag" he was a bit rough really rough if you pissed him off, but I learned alot about old Fords, and life in general I hope he is still alive and well, I lost his contact information and regret not staying in touch with him and alot of other people life kinda got in the way. Anyway glad to be here if there is any way possible I will at least come watch the cars run, the old guy I help on the side has a butt load of work that needs to be done and it's hard to turn down extra money.

Thanks
John W.

kmcanally
07-24-2011, 01:34 PM
PHR mag has recently started a monthly series on a 68 Cougar being built by Cortex racing.