PDA

View Full Version : Video?

Scott Parkhurst
07-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Obviously there was a pro video crew covering everything at the event.

Any news on what that's all about, and whether a DVD of the event will be available?

HeidtsSales
07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Scott

We will have videos of the event later this week or early next week. I will keep everyone up to date on the posting of videos

Rob

Scott Parkhurst
07-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Killer! Thanks Rob!

protour73
07-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Outstanding!!! and very cool!!

badbu68
07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/th_103_3762-1.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/badbu68/?action=view&current=103_3762.mp4)

Scott Parkhurst
07-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Cool video!

Jim Nilsen
07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
That is one cool video, I have video of myself following Mark around the track during that parade. I got to follow his lines as he figured out where he was going to go. Lucky for me my car was actually able to follow them at speed and do well. Seeing the results made me wish I was on 200tw Nitto's and my high rpm fuel miss wasn't there. I had no idea that I was going to be that competitive in my times, now I am wondering what if's? I had more on the table in each event to be gained if the brake pads hadn't disappeared and that pesky miss acting like a rev limiter.

It was the most awesome time ever around a track for me and I can't wait to do it again !!!!

Thanks for posting the video!!!!

sr73bu
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
^ Jim, your car looks killer with those gold bbs's...

...great video too, lots of really nice cars out there!

-Sean

Bow Tie 67
07-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Here is in car video from the first session of the day.

WARNING: Watching this video may make you nod off. I know it has that effect on me. Thank God it does not happen while filming. :smoke:

To jump to the best lap start at the 10:30 mark, it happens to be the last hot lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbRavNiSpY

protour73
07-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Great video Matt!! I have to get one of those in-car cameras!!
.I have to say, your car was one that impressed me all weekend. We had all that fun and Darrin chose to work!!! HAHAHAHAHA
.was that red light on your oil temp gauge?

NJSPEEDER
07-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Cool video. Got that fast lap in just as the rain picked up, can't time it any better than that.

-Tim

Yelcamino
07-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Nice driving Matt!

Bow Tie 67
07-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys, the red light was my oil temp, peak recall was 298* and the warning was set at 280*. I'm in the process of finding a new radiator as the stock 4th gen cooling had met its match with my increased driving skills and the 96* weather. When I get a chance I will upload some go-pro video of the later sessions, 1.5 seconds faster. Now if I could get a look at some in-car of Stielow I could compare. I'm sure of one area on the track were I can pick up some good time.

wmhjr
07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Matt, I struggled with oil temp as well. Today I just pulled my front bumper and grills off in preparation for adding an oil cooler. I'll have to do some fabrication just to get my oil lines forward.

Bow Tie 67
07-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Bill,

I installed an oil cooler and accusump 3 winters ago. The inaugural Motorstate event changed my build drastically. Back then the Mobil 1 I was running thinned out big time. I believe my oil system is up to par, its the cooling system that allowed the engine temp to exceed normal racing parameters. When tracking a car an oil cooler and temp gauge are a must!!

Matt

wmhjr
07-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Bill,

I installed an oil cooler and accusump 3 winters ago. The inaugural Motorstate event changed my build drastically. Back then the Mobil 1 I was running thinned out big time. I believe my oil system is up to par, its the cooling system that allowed the engine temp to exceed normal racing parameters. When tracking a car an oil cooler and temp gauge are a must!!

Matt

Matt, you're right. I have an oil temp gauge in my dash, but was hoping to avoid an oil cooler. Motor State had me concerned, though the oil never really got unreasonably hot - assuming I'd change oil after the event anyway. Heidts absolutely convinced me that I need a cooler. The fact that my block is bottom filled to the freeze plugs creates a real oil temp concern. But, it's all a trade-off. I have to essentially fabricate a fixture for my block that can route the lines up and forward without conflicting with the headers, firewall or inner fender. Then I need to change my oil filter setup from the frame rail to forward, then install a couple bulkhead fittings, and figure out how/where to mount the cooler. I also need to determine -10 or -12 lines select the right cooler, and then watch oil pressure to hope that I don't need to put a different oil pump in. Isn't this stuff fun?

Jim Nilsen
07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Nice video Matt, I can see where you picked up the 1.5 sec. over me. If I would have been able to go to my redline in 3rd I could have easily done a 1:15. Several of the turns you were able to pick up way more speed in between and pick it up. The 1:17.5 was where I was kind of limited to with power and I was picking up even more in the turns by just not slowing down as much each lap getting braver and braver.

My oil temps never went above 265 degrees and came down real quickly on the cool down lap. My ps temps went to 265 also and it made me nervous since it was where the rack blew the seal at MSC but it held up, I have a cooler ready to go in soon.

I know of one place you could have picked up 5 mph in the main straight and it doesn't seem logical until you just mash the gas all the way down in the next to last corner before and hold on and make the line straighter, it really helped me a lot when I figured it out.

I really like the track because you can pick up time every lap just by not braking and staying on the gas easier each time along with longer apexes.

I'm gonna have to go to youtube and resign back up so O can post some of my videos too! But I have to pull the intake now and clean the injectors to see if the high end miss goes away. If it isn't one thing it is another.

Jim Nilsen
07-23-2011, 04:22 PM
^ Jim, your car looks killer with those gold bbs's...

...great video too, lots of really nice cars out there!

-Sean

Thanks, I have to thank Brandon and his dad for selling those wheels at such a bargain, I never could have afforded 3pc racing wheels any other way.

mpozzi
07-23-2011, 05:24 PM
You guys did great!! After riding shotgun with James in the OLC for his last session, I learned a much better line into that double/late apex corner before the long back straight. You see, there's two dark sections of pavement, not just the one I saw when I ran earlier <insert lit lightbulb here and a "duh" for good measure>.

The Camaro is getting back on track. Cannot wait for more of this stuff and especially for next years event.

Mary Pozzi

Van B
07-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Matt,

Just watched your video. I am not sure what you did in later sessions, but I was shifting to 4th gear between turns 2 and 3 so the car would not be as twitchy through 3, 4 and 5. But then again you ran faster than me with your best of the day, so who's to say if my approach was right, but it seemed to make me faster. Interestingly in the Spec Miata I was carrying a lower gear there and one of my competitors who is a member at Autobahn gave me that advice.

I told Randy Johnson to shift earlier and let the torque carry him through-there was no need to wind it up to 7000. He came back and said he picked up some time that way.

Jim Nilsen
07-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I know my gearing is way different than you guys and I was in third most all of the time except for the straight before the curves into the main straght, that part had me needing to step up because the rpm's weren't there for me. I could have used my extra 1000rpm that the fuel problem was taking from me but it seemed that I only really needed 4th for the main straight when the car gets to go to redline.

With my 3rd gear and the 6400 redline I would have been just topping out at each corner and my accelleration would have been way better. i could have made the shift earlier in the main straght and made it to 115mph or more. Because I don't have to shift up I also get the extra engine braking without a down shift.

I think Matt's ratios are closer to mine in the midrange so it seems. I was following him for a few laps and he was accellerating at about the same rate in those 2 spots as I was and pulled me in the straights with rpm and a bunch more power.

You guys with all that big torque and HP make it seem effortless to accelerate out of the corners in a higher gear but I just can't do that,lol.

Just for the facts, I have a 3:07 rear and a 1:59 3rd and a 1:23 4th with a 26"tire.

at my normal redline I can go to 95-100 mph in 3rd and 130mph in 4th and with my high end miss I was just reaching 85mph in 3rd and in the main straight I was reaching only 105 mph before having to brake for the 1st - 2nd turn. I found I could brake all the way into and through the 1st turn right up to turn 2.

wmhjr
07-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Jim, don't forget that some of us "big torque" also have "big weight". I struggle with the same issues. Sure, I'm making at least 500lbs of torque right off idle and am never ever below 500 anywhere in my torque curve, usually more in the 600 range. However, with me in the car and a full tank of fuel, and the rollbars, I'm well over 4000lbs. Honestly, for most of us I think it evens the playing field. For guys like Stielow who have both the torque/hp advantage and a much more manageable weight it's a far different story!

Scott Parkhurst
08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I finally tried that in the last session as well. It didn't make a huge dent in my times, but it sure made driving through that first corner after the straightaway a lot easier, and allowed me to focus on other things...

Badger
08-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Here's a short video of two my laps. Car was pretty good especially considering I was running stock suspension & brakes:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1823380475582

dunnjun
08-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Matt, I just saw the video, too cool! You looked like you were just out for a fast Sunday drive, your car was so well behaved! What kind of gauges are you running? It be nice not to have to get out the reading glasses to see what's going on. I want a ride next time we run an event together. Your car looks and sounds great!

Jim Nilsen
08-15-2011, 03:15 AM
Any news about when the videos will be done from the event?

protour73
08-20-2011, 03:31 PM
^^^^Like Jim said ---------- Hey Heidt's people, where's the video??? Just went on your website........'nuttin

Jim Nilsen
08-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Here is a video from my 2nd session , you will see Bill Herder in his GTO, Karl Dunn in the Mustang ,the Heidt's Camaro, And Matt Altamore in his 69 Camaro. I don't know how I do it but I seem to keep catching back up to Matt after he leaves me in the straight away.

9TQdEh-8zQI

dunnjun
08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Great video Jim! Man, that was sooo much fun! Ive got to get a in car camera. They really capture the feel of the action. Your car looks like it runs great. Thanks for posting!

Jim Nilsen
08-26-2011, 06:02 PM
I keep looking for the video to happen and hope they didn't lose it somewhere , so until then here is a vid from the autox.

TIRhBlhJIpE

Jim Nilsen
08-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Has anyone heard when the video or any other pics will be released?

I'm falling asleep watching my own,LOL.

protour73
08-29-2011, 04:11 AM
Hey Jim, I am going to call Heidt's on my lunch hour today to ask what the hold up is!!! I need to talk to them about something else so I'll find out. I dont get it, after the event they were saying video in a week or two, it's over a month now. I'll post up what they say tonight.

stanger58
08-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks to all the great sponsors who made the first Heidts Performance Car Challenge possible... next year is going to be even better!

http://youtu.be/iKTGLz3Bo7I

stanger58
08-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Here's another video showing quite a few of the cars leaving Heidts and starting the Road Rally to Joliet...

http://youtu.be/5Zldd-0gyD8

protour73
08-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey Jim, I called Heidt's during my lunch today and spoke to Ron in sales. I asked about the video and he did not know the status of it but was going to ask his marketing guy who will be back into the office tomorrow..............I'll post up again!

protour73
09-04-2011, 08:44 AM
........I never got a callback from Heidt's. I'll make a follow up call on Tuesday. :banghead:

Jim Nilsen
09-05-2011, 06:06 AM
There are a few videos on youtube from the event now and it looks like they have so much good footage that it is probably hard for them to decide what to cut and not to cut.

I am looking forward to what we are going to get when we get it but I am jonesn for all I can get to see.

Van B
09-05-2011, 07:41 AM
It is very possible that Heidts had the video crew there for their own purposes and never planned to release anything. Ridetech had a crew at last year's Faceoff at Road America and I don't remember seeing anything released from there either.

protour73
09-05-2011, 01:10 PM
It is very possible that Heidts had the video crew there for their own purposes and never planned to release anything. Ridetech had a crew at last year's Faceoff at Road America and I don't remember seeing anything released from there either.

Yes Jeff, but Heidt's was saying immediately after the event that a video would be released "in a couple weeks", so that what we are going off of.

I'll do a follow up call tomorrow and ask for Wallace if need be.

protour73
09-11-2011, 02:42 PM
the video mystery continues....I talked with Brian (?) in sales on Thursday. The video is (allegedly) coming. He told me to call in a "couple weeks". SO, we'll see.

protour73
09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
I called Heidt's again today, this is really goofy. I connected directly to the marketing department and pretty much dumbfounded the gentleman that answered. He transferred me to the head of marketing and I left a message. sheesh :banghead:

Next week I will contact Jimi Day or Wally @ FM3 Performance Marketing .......... also sending an email to Wallace, the president of Heidt's.

yea.........persistance

mpozzi
09-30-2011, 03:20 PM
I know they did film footage as they interviewed me plus others. Between the 50+ of us swarming Autobahn Motorsports Park, I'm sure they got some good stuff.

Any word on how your Camaro's coming along, Scotty? Was thinking about you the other day ... just wondering.

Mary Pozzi

protour73
09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
I know they did film footage as they interviewed me plus others. Between the 50+ of us swarming Autobahn Motorsports Park, I'm sure they got some good stuff.

Any word on how your Camaro's coming along, Scotty? Was thinking about you the other day ... just wondering.

Mary PozziBody work and paint are finished (although I have not inspected it yet), front bumper repowdercoated, now it doesn't match the rear bumper so am making them redo it (it's his dime not mine). But the roadblock are the wheels. They repaired the front wheel which was damaged, which now doesn't match the other 3. Unacceptable, I proposed NEW WHEELS!!

thanks for thinking about me............BTW, I've now been without this car for over TWO MONTHS!!!! :squint:

How are you doing??

mpozzi
09-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Doing pretty good, Scott. If the repaired wheel doesn't match up to your satisfaction, definitely look at replacing them all. You'll get the Camaro back and it will be better than ever.

Hope to see you and Cindy next year and hope Heidt's does this again.

Mary P.

Mark -G-
10-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Hey Scott, sorry to hear your ride is not done yet or to your satisfaction so far. Thanks for the continued effort on the video front. Keep at it. It will all pay off in the long run!!! :smoke:

stanger58
10-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Greetings gang...

If you haven't seen it, here is the blog post on Heidts.com that includes a longer event-highlight video... follow this link: http://heidts.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/heidts-performance-car-challenge-video-highlights/

Scott Parkhurst
10-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Wow- I didn't think it'd be possible to video edit my car so completely out of an event that I participated in so fully...

Van B
10-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Wow- I didn't think it'd be possible to video edit my car so completely out of an event that I participated in so fully...

That'll teach you to start a thread asking where the video is... BTW I think the still photo when you first open the page is just awesome lol.

Scott Parkhurst
10-20-2011, 06:56 AM
LOL Jeff!! Your car does look great in that shot...

At least you can see my wagon in the photos they posted of the entire 3-day event on their Facebook page albums (link is on the video page that's linked here).

Oh, wait a sec. Not a single image. Not even a background appearance.

I think I pissed someone off over there or something! LOL!

protour73
10-26-2011, 02:45 PM
LOL Jeff!! Your car does look great in that shot...

At least you can see my wagon in the photos they posted of the entire 3-day event on their Facebook page albums (link is on the video page that's linked here).

Oh, wait a sec. Not a single image. Not even a background appearance.

I think I pissed someone off over there or something! LOL!

Oh come on now Scott...............Look at all of this car exposure!!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Scott Parkhurst
10-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Oh the Optima guys got shots of everybody- no question! I was just surprised at the Heidts video/Facebook pics.

protour73
10-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Oh the Optima guys got shots of everybody- no question! I was just surprised at the Heidts video/Facebook pics.

Scott, I am still working on this, I keep nagging Heidts' new Marketing person from week to week. Apparently, in a changing of the gaurd it came to light that the old Marketing dude dropped the ball on this whole video thing. I expressed a collective interest from the participants at the very least. I am sure there are more than just us interested in seeing this video. It was obvious from just seeing the photog/video people all over the place that they had tons of video to work with to put together something more than just the 3 min vid on the website.

NWEBER540
11-18-2011, 03:39 PM
nice job

Jim Nilsen
11-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Hey Scott,I saw you in the video for one millisecond in the line of cars leaving the parking lot, it's a full view of the side turning out. Don't blink or you miss it!