PDA

View Full Version : F-Body transmission cooler???

68400BIRD
07-18-2011, 05:54 AM
I would like to add an additional transmission cooler to my 1968 turbo 400 car. Has anyone else done this? If so did you run it in line with the existing cooler or did you bypass it and just run the cooler by it's self? I was thinking with some of the 400-400 overheating problems that maybe taking the hot transmission fluid out of the radiator might help a little. I have a good size cooler but I'm not postive on how I would want to mount it or run the lines. If you have done this or have any pictures can you post what worked best for you.
Thanks

Randy67
07-18-2011, 06:37 AM
I run the fluid through the stock cooler and then to the external cooler. Seems to work very well and in cold weather you can cover the external cooler so it doesn't over cool the transmission.

Ishmael
07-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Have a look at this thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?79009-trans-cooler-or-not&highlight=tranny+cooler . The schooling I got came down to let the rad do its job and the cooler do its job. Run it on its own. The trans shop that built my 4l65 told me the opposite, run it into the rad and then the cooler and back the the trans. I would have thought more coolers is better but apparently not.