PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen F Body Project: HellBringer

mert.celet
07-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Hi Guys!

I have this Camaro as my 1st Pro-Touring project. I live in Istanbul / Turkey. The reality in here is that we've got no place to go and race at the weekends. There are two courses in Istanbul ( One is the Formula one course called Istanbul Park) and it's forbidden to race your car in that one. And the other one can be rented 4-5 times a year... BUT! We've got NO SPEED LIMIT on our highways :) and NO RADAR :)

Let'come to the car. This is a 99 LS1/A4 Z28. For now it's got a few bolt ons: FAST intake with 92mm TB, K&N open system, SLP MAF, Diablo Sport handheld
Suspension Modifications: UMI 3 point Subframe connectors, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable control arms, KYB ajustables... This week I will be ordering an Eaton Truetrac for my 10 bolt and Willwood brake kit includin 6S with 13 inch rotors to the front and 4S with 12 inch rotors to the back. Also I will be changing my gears from 2:73 to 3:42s.

I wish I had 6speed but my letf arm is non operating due to the motorcycle accident I had 3 years ago. Spinal Cord injury. But I will be upgrading my tranny with a transGo shift kit. This is my second transmission. (never downshift with a 4L60) :)

Anyway... I hope to make this thread as enjoyable as it can be. And I will appreciate any opinions and directions since it's my first time. I don't know how I can make this car a real corner carver. Please help me with possible chasis modifications.

Off Duty
07-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Very nice start.
I had a 2000 Z28, same color and GFX.
A set of 315 Michelin's and some BBS wheels and you're got a killer combination!
The ride and handling were ok out of the box, but with the mods, it ought to handle like a go kart!
Looking forward to your build and more pics.

Enjoy the limitless highways:)

mert.celet
07-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks alot :)

Did you do mini tubs to squeeze the 315s to the back?
I can sure follow your directions, enlighten me please :)

mert.celet
07-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Should I play with the rear fenders or go for mini tubs in order to squeeze 315s at the back... Any ideas?

70Uglybird
07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
315s fit no prob on 11 inch wheels you may have to pound the inner fender a bit.

mert.celet
07-11-2011, 10:25 PM
:) That's great!!!! I will definitely try this. I hope it won't go hard on the 10 bolt... Who cares! :)

Off Duty
07-12-2011, 03:12 AM
Should I play with the rear fenders or go for mini tubs in order to squeeze 315s at the back... Any ideas?

No need.
As stated above, 315's fit fine on an 11" rim.
I used a 17x11" ZR1, 5 spoke rim for an early model Corvette. I forget the backspacing, but a google search on here or maybe LS1.com will turn it up in a flash. There are 2 back spacing's for the early corvette rim.
One will set it in too far.
Anyway, depending on the tire manufacturer and the sidewall profile, 315's may protrude very minimally.

In some cases, you may want to "massage" the fender lip with a roller.
I didn't and never had a problem. Some guys preferred it. It's up to you.

IIRC, the Michelin was the best fit, followed by the Kumho.
I've got some pics around somewhere on the computer. I'll see if I can dig them up for you.

There's really a ton you can do to these cars to make them handle well.
Everything from proper lowering with swaybars and shocks, to coil over systems, etc.

I really enjoyed mine!

Off Duty
07-12-2011, 04:16 AM
A few pics to show the fitment with 315's:

mert.celet
07-12-2011, 04:35 AM
This really gave me a good idea of the result. Thanks alot, I really appreciate thisa. AND your car was very beautiful BTW. :)

Off Duty
07-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Thanks.
Those were before any lowering was done.

The first shot is the obligatory "poser" shot.

The bottom pic shows the same wheel/'tire combination on my 87 Vette.
You can see that the combo tucks in much better on the Camaro.

I'll see if I can find the backspacing #'s for you.

mert.celet
07-12-2011, 05:06 AM
In Turkey the asphalt quality suffers. Many potholes (sometimes like a bathtub :)). That's why I gave up on the idea of getting coilovers. I used to have my eyes on those QA1 double adjustables but the lower arm connection of a coilover in a 4th gen doesn't seem to be capable of taking too much abuse. Which is of course my opinion. But I want to follow a safe path. Springs and shocks seperately sounds stronger to me. I don't know, if you are thinking the opposite please share with me. But maybe after my Willwood brake kit arrives, I may start for saving for the Airride suspension. It sounds so charming to me. :)
I am thinking of going 18 or 19 inch rims, or a combo of both. I haven't been able to find 275/40/17 tire of any brand in Turkey. I have been searching for it for the past 2 years. (mostly, and especially in case of tires, importing is not an easy issue since the customs department regulations in Turkey is a real pain in the ass). So I guess I will go for Bridgestone Potenza or Prelli PZero's.
Honestly I love my og. SS rims but I think I'll save those to my convertible. I will go for those BBS rims. (Maybe I can find 18s for front and 19s for the back) I think lower profile tires help stability (But not too low, I had 275/35/20's in my totaled convertible and by the time of accident, things really gotten out of my hands because of too low tire profile... Too much stiffness without any flexibility never helps)

mert.celet
07-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Or these ones :)

kmdracer
07-12-2011, 06:02 AM
mert, I have a 99 Z28 a4 as well. Mine has gone through a few modifications over the years, though it is back to basically stock now. Not sure what you meant by not downshifting the auto trans, as i have done this since the car was new. ( It currently has 210,000 miles on it) and the original trans is holding up fine. I have had nitrous, and a turbo on the car at different times, though I never had slicks. I still have the original rearend in the car as well.
I look forward to your build, and will help in any small way I can.

craigs73
07-12-2011, 07:45 AM
welcome to the site and nice car by the way and you have a yard to mow???? lol seen a push mower sorry to hijack thread :D

mert.celet
07-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi Guys!
Kmdracer; I have twice rebuilt my tranny. And I had this opinion of downshift issue because of this... I have stuck in the middle of nowhere twice. Both times I lost 3rd gear and overdrive and then the whole tranny. Both times this failure happened after continous up'n downshiftings. That's why Now I'm really scared to downshift.
On the other hand, recently my rear started to develop too much gear sounds, that's why now I'm scared of hard launches and upgrading my diff to Eaton truetrac and the 2:73 gears to richmond's 3:42. I want the TransGo shift kit which is said to let the healthy downshifts happen. For your notice; I bought this car secondhand and it was pretty worn out rather then it used to be seem. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. :)

Craigs73; Nice to meet you too! Thank you for your compliments and yes, I have a really big yard to mov. Do you have any idea to modify the lawnmover in order to drop yard mowing times? :)

craigs73
07-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Craigs73; Nice to meet you too! Thank you for your compliments and yes, I have a really big yard to mov. Do you have any idea to modify the lawnmover in order to drop yard mowing times? :)

yeah get a riding lawn mower lol!!! i didn't really think there was grass there....if you have a really big yard to mow you must own 90% of grass in turkey lol

mert.celet
07-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Not really. Turkey's got so much green area. Not a desert as you may think... You have to see yourself I think. :)

mert.celet
07-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Hi Guys! :)

Finally I was able to find a perfect match set of wheels & tires for my baby.
The wheels are 2 piece, made in Germany. They are lighter then my og. SS wheels and they have 2 year warranty against any cracks :) Sizes are 19 / 9 front & 19 / 10 back.

The tires are Bridgestone Potenza S001s. 275 / 35 / 19 & 295 / 30 / 19 the diameters are almost close to no change but I have already dialed in the new diameters with my DiabloSport.

BTW, these tires are ****incredible! It's like I've wrapped buble gums around the wheels. I really advice anyone who're looking for tire alternatives. And the stability is near perfect around speeds 220 / 245 kmh. :)

And sorry for the crappy pics. I will be taking new photos soon.

craigs73
07-21-2011, 06:02 AM
nice celet now get some pics in the daylight lol

mert.celet
10-03-2011, 05:41 AM
FINALLY!!!!
The goodies have arrived from the US. It's been months since I was dealing with some issues. First of all was a Jackass. I paid the guy over 4K to get me the parts I want. He kept me waiting for months and then he told me that the money was taken over by the government due to his tax debts. All I coul do was wait here, listening to his SAD life struggles and empty promises that he would make it up for me... I waited for him for 3 months then I called the bank for a charge back. Since the creditcards are secured, you can always call your money back if a fraud occurs. Anyway, the bank returned my money and I bought everything myself. Guess what? After my money was returned, that guy emailed me about how I f**cked his life, what an a**hole I am and how he wishes to see me dead. :) I would never give his name if he did supply my goods sooner or later but BEWARE THIS GUY. RONNIE LEWIS of LEWIS CUSTOM CYCLES. He is the best liar I've ever met. Especıally those of you also interested in bikes, atv's BEWARE... THIS GUY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND WILL GET LOST!:banghead:

Let's cut to the chase. Here are my parts and today the constructıon begins... My budget is really limited. So this thread can keep 4ever :)
I started with road holding issues. This had to be first thing's first... I am experienced with Camaro's lack of stability issues. As a proof I can show you my Totaled Convertible laying dead in front of my house. (Soon you will see my new thread for a real pro touring build including a 77 TTop Trans Am and my dead convertible. I know that this 99 Camaro is no Pro Touring and can not be... However, I would rather call it a StreetFighter) These new stuff are about how the car handles. I hope to see a huge difference. I am really really hoping and praying. I have never driven an FBody with the goodies I have right now before and I am used to the stability of european cars... I hope these improvements will bring this car somewhere near a John Cooper Works edition Mini Cooper S (my previous car).
Eaton Detroit TrueTrac. Actually I was going for a Posi, but Eaton Techs directed me to TrueTrac. Honestly I still quite didn't understand what EXACTLY TrueTrac and Posi differanceiate in between. I know how they work but I don't know how they change your car's character. I'd appreciate if Someone can explain the different characteristics between a Posi equipped and TrueTrac equipped Car has...
3.42:1 gears... I thought about going for 3:73 but I like going fast for hundreds of miles without stopping. (I mean going about 100-150mph maybe for about two hours. Remember we've got no speed limits? :smoke:) But I have a question again will I feel so much difference after 2:73 with this 3:42? I used to have 4:10 in my 72 Nova and it was like escaping from hell. This is how I can only describe that acceleration. 600 rwhp / Th400 with 4:10 gears in ford 9 inch....:headbang: But I don't know how I sold that car. :banghead:
The stuff that I will squeeze under the car. Hope these will make the car accelerate straight, able to turn, rattle free and overall more reliable...
High Quality slotted/vented discs with HPS Pads. I love this HAWK brand. I used to have their Yellow Boxed Pads and they were great. As Far As I know these Pads are one step further. I'll give them a shot. Is there anbody using these Blue Boxed Pads?
And my budget KYB adjustables and Vogtland springs... I bought these springs without knowing. Actually I was trying to buy Eibachs but these springs and the shocks had a package price of 499$. After purchase I wrote an email to Vogtland in order to learn the spring rates but they didn't bother to write back. Splendid Customer Service.:dunno:
And for todays final, My Beautiful Helpers... :angel:

That's all for today. Within this week I hope I will be able to upload more pics of what's been done. But I've got hell of alot of work this week. I need to work from 8:30 am to 23:00pm. So I don't know for sure if I can upload anything....