PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating question

toxicz28
06-22-2005, 08:14 PM
OK, I have a powdercoating/ part durability question. I wanted to powdercoat my power steering pump ('88-up GM built in reservoir). Now I know the part has to be spotless and bare, but my question is about the curing. Does anyone know if the pump seals could handle the curing process (450 degrees for 30 minutes)? Or would I be better off with paint on this part?

chicane67
06-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Remember....... powder coating retains more heat and heat is the biggest enemy for power steering.

Why couldnt take the pump apart and do them seperately so you can drop the seals in after the process is complete ?? I just thought I would ask...

MuscleRodz
06-23-2005, 08:50 AM
The heat would kill the seals. And many of those newer style pumps you don't want to mess with taking them apart. They never quit leaking and cheaper to replace than fix.

Mike

toxicz28
06-23-2005, 09:52 AM
The heat would kill the seals. And many of those newer style pumps you don't want to mess with taking them apart. They never quit leaking and cheaper to replace than fix.

Mike

OOPS! I took Chicane's advice and already pulled it apart. The reservoir was blasted already. Pretty straightforward, and when I put it back together I'll change the seals. Thanks for the advice guys!