PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Mustang Fastback Suspension

dougnugent1
07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I am starting a new project. It is a 1965 mustang fastback. The car will have a twin turbo 302 in it that makes around 800 hp. Also going to put a 6 speed trans in it. I am looking to mostly drive it on the street and every once in a while take it to the drag strip or the texas mile. I have completely diassembled the car and started stripping off all the paint. I have been looking at IFS for it. I am looking for people opinions on them. I have narrowed it down to the heidts or TCI. Also looking to upgrade the rear suspension and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Doug

rustomatic
07-10-2011, 08:05 PM
That's an awesome quantity of horsepower for some absolutely terrible aerodynamics. On the side of the "IFS," are you just looking to create more room for turbo plumbing/exhaust routing? If you're aiming for Big Red-type speeds with a stock suspension or any kind of common "IFS" suspension (MII derivative, presumably), you'll need to be very low, which may lead to coil bind or zero suspension travel. This would not be a safe condition. Think legitimate shock travel at a lowered height, which means reasonably tall shock towers (not MII), along with lower control arms that will not hit the frame rails on the way up (or allow the uppers to rest on bumpers). In many cases, the stock setup is actually better--it's just the engine bay that's lacking in width...