PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber hood?

parsonsj
08-31-2004, 09:12 AM
Anybody know of a source for a carbon fiber hood? I've modified my 'glass hood for my reversed hood hinge, and I'm thinking of sending my hood off to be replicated with the hinge mount boss "built in" and the latch mechanism boss removed. I've been doing bodywork on the hood for several days, and I'm thinking I could spend a month getting it all how I want it. Maybe a pro can pull it off faster?

And if I do all that, I might as well explore the idea of a cf hood.

Anybody?

Jagarang
08-31-2004, 10:41 AM
There's been some talk on carbon fiber body panels losing their structural integrity due to ultraviolet damage. I heard that even the "UV Clearcoats", treatments, and coverings are really just the automotive equivalent to the ab roller and thigh master. Be sure to research this before spending a bunch of $$$.

**EDIT**
I may have missunderstood John. I was thinking that you were not going to paint the hood. I think the UV breakdown was for carbon fiber that was left clear to show the weave.

JohnUlaszek
09-07-2004, 06:21 PM
I am no carbon fiber expert, but I worked on an optical bench for an instrument package that was going out into to space to look at the sun, and I can guarantee you that spacecraft will be much closer to the sun than your Nova.
I think it boils down to the process, and if it is UV sensitive, don't leave it bare, paint it to match the car. It would still look kick ass with the hood up :)
Jeff Hyasoki's (sp?) car up at DSE had a carbon hood on it and it looked fine to me.

I remember reading in some magazine a while ago about a shop that could duplicate any body panel in Aluminum if they had an original to work with. Maybe some winston cup guys could make a hood?

parsonsj
09-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Has anybody heard from Keith Quinn lately? I think he was doing a cf hood.

I've largely completed the body work on the inside of the hood now, so I'm not quite as motivated now as I was then. But I'm still interested.

StRacerDuke
09-07-2004, 08:08 PM
You might pick up an import mag or two at your local supermarket. (I know, you'll have to wear a fake pair of glasses and hat).

The reason being is that many of the import mags are filled with ads for body pieces, some of which are C/F. If I was going to to it I'd work backwards and start calling these companies and find who their manufacture is. Chances are that if you call about 5-7 of them you'll probably find that one company provides finished products to 2 or 3 of those distributors. Then you can call the manufacture directly to talk with them. I use to have a roomate that did installs for Opex imports and most of the companies that they purchased parts from didn't make their own pieces, they were just brokers.

Hope this might help.

TonyL
09-07-2004, 08:09 PM
check these people out.

http://www.anvilauto.com/

parsonsj
09-08-2004, 04:29 AM
Tony,
Excellent links! CompositeShop is in South Carolina, close enough for me to drive down and save hundreds on shipping/crating.

thanks!

USAZR1
09-08-2004, 09:48 PM
VFN builds CF parts for just about everything. The chassis shop that built my 69 Elky has an awesome 69 Chevelle race car that VFN built all the body parts out of CF.

JMarsa
03-02-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm going to try ro resurect this thread. Other than VFN, anyone know of shops that currently offer carbon fiber hoods for muscle cars? http://www.carbon-werks.com/ apprears to be out of business.

--JMarsa

TUBED
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
John,
Check with Bob Johnson (Orange Cuda) and see if he'll tell you who did the C/F panels for Alan when he built the car. Bob mentioned that he had an extra front clip for his car and stated in one his many posts who did the C/F, whoever it was is doing it for some of the NMCA Street Shootout cars I believe.
Gerald

customcarpainter
03-04-2006, 04:19 AM
The CF work on the Cuda was done by 3G Services based out of the Detroit area.I can tell you that the process they use is different than what MOST people use who do CF work.I don't know if there was ever any discussion about the UV effect on the CF or not,but you'll have to look long and hard to find a company who can lay the weave as nice as what they did.Bob will have the number for 3G.My advice is to finish the hood as though you were going to paint it black,the nicer it is the nicer the finished product will be in the end.

parsonsj
03-04-2006, 04:40 AM
My advice is to finish the hood as though you were going to paint it black,the nicer it is the nicer the finished product will be in the end.Yep, that's what I and the boyz at Road Killer Kustoms did. The glass hood came out awesome ... but, it's not cf. Any WAG (wild-assed guesses) on lead time and price?

jp

tbair
03-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I looked into this as well with a car Im building, There is a local race shop that car do it.They do alot of Indy car parts. They told me about 2000 for the hood and about 2 weeks.They also said that when it was finished it would be about 1/8 larger than the hood they pulled the mold from.I know its not a big deal to adjust the front end but just thought it may be some info you would like to have.Tim

Jim Nilsen
03-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi John, saw the thread and though I would ask how things are for your time frame to be finished?

Good luck and hope things are going well.

Jim Nilsen

Alan Johnson
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
These guys did all the carbon work on Bob's cuda. Great to work with, best quality, pricing and delivery time of any shop that I have come across. The carbon parts will be exact copies of what you provide them, the only gain will be in what ever paint or clear finish that is added. All automotive urethane clear has UV protection.

Alan

Doug Groh
3G Services
12254 Universal Drive
Taylor, Michigan
734-947-9434
734-947-9458 Fax
[email protected] ([email protected])
http://www.3gservicesinc.com (http://www.3gservicesinc.com)

JMarsa
03-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

--JMarsa

parsonsj
03-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Doug Groh
3G Services
12254 Universal Drive
Taylor, Michigan
734-947-9434
734-947-9458 Fax
[email protected]
http://www.3gservicesinc.comThanks Alan. I wish I had this information last summer, when I was actively looking for a cf hood. I did a lot of research and was disappointed with the responses I got, so I fabbed up my glass hood, and RKK made it look good.

But if they can replicate exactly my existing hood, then that's very attractive to me.

jp

hotwheels
10-03-2007, 07:57 AM
For anyone who might stumble on this thread, I thought I would let everybody know that Anvil Auto has some cf parts for 1st gen Camaros ready to ship and is working on many more parts for additional cars. We are a sponsor to this web site. Thank you!
www.anvilauto.com (http://www.anvilauto.com)

Best, MaTT
ANVil

Damn True
10-03-2007, 10:36 AM
VFN is not doing CF stuff for normal consumers for the foreseable future. The raw material is just too expensive.

JP, you might hit up "BossBill" over on CC.com he is doing a nearly complete CF body for his Turbocharged Cobra-R. You might talk him into it. I spoke to him about it, but the cost was out of my league.

hotwheels
10-03-2007, 11:38 AM
:attn: OR..., you could go to www.anvilauto.com (http://www.anvilauto.com) and get what you need at an affordable price, NOW! We can ship today and have it to you in about a week or less!

Best, MaTT
ANVil

Damn True
10-03-2007, 12:57 PM
What are the actual weights of the three different hoods shown on your website?

Any plans to replicate the Stock Flat (non cowl induction) hood in CF? How about decklids?

BTW, JP has a Nova which you don't offer a hood for and that is why I suggested he speak to someone else.

parsonsj
10-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Not just a Nova hood, but one with custom bosses for reverse opening. I'd have to have a mold made, and a custom hood made from that.

jp

Chris69bird
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
What about for a first gen bird?

hotwheels
10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
We have many more parts in the works including a flat Camaro hood and a rear deck lid and spoiler as well as second gen Camaro parts. After that, I'm trying to decide which car to make parts for next, Nova, Chevelle, Mustang, etc. I would like to do them all now, but the problem is it takes a lot of time and money to make a pattern of each one, then a mold and then production parts. I have to do it in steps and get a good understanding of where the core market is, so I can recoupe my costs. I want to listen to guys like yourselves to get an idea of what people want. If someone already has a part that they want made in cf and don't mind giving up their part to make a mold from, I would be willing to give them a free cf part in return as long as it is for a car that has a fairly big market.
I would love to hear what people have to say and appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Best, MaTT
ANVil

hotwheels
10-03-2007, 05:56 PM
The weight of the least expensive hood that is fiberglass under carbon fiber is about 26 lbs. and the 100% carbon fiber one weighs in at under 17 lbs. The 100% cowl panel only weighs 1.4 lbs.

MaTT:jawdrop:
ANVil

Damn True
10-03-2007, 07:55 PM
26? Not bad. A bolt-on (uses hinges not 4-point pins) VFN glass hood weighs 22.

Do you anticipate an appreciable price delta between the cowl induction and stock-flat hood?

hotwheels
10-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Right now the cowl induction hood we have is a copy of the original steel hood with the under structure including the plenum leading from the back of the hood (cowl induction) to the air cleaner, so you can have a true sealed off cowl induction system. It also makes for a much stiffer hood. You can see a picture of the bottom on our web site. We are making what I call a "bare" cowl induction hood that has no under structure in the middle underneath. This can be used for clearance problems. It will also weigh less than the current hood we have now. The 100% version of the bare hood should be very light, but I can't tell you just how much at this point as we are still working out the design. I am going to try to make the flat hood with no understructure as well, to really get a lightweight hood. The price between these hoods should not be too different than our current line up.

MaTT
ANVil

hotwheels
10-03-2007, 09:48 PM
For aybody who is curious about some of the other parts we are close to bringing to market, I have some pics on photobucket of the deck lid and spoiler for first gen f bodies (will fit Firebirds too).
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc95/anvil_auto/cf%20deck%20lid%20and%20spoiler/
The spoiler has the riser taken out of it and the whole thing is widened since it sits lower on the deck and blended so it really follows the contours of the rear quarters. Because it is so thin at the leading edge, we added 4 small teardrop shapes to make up for the meat we took out for the studs to be sunk into. It now fits flush to the deck lid with a neoprene gasket. The deck lid looks a little too curved in these pics, but it's only because of the lighting. I'll take some pictures of it on a car when I get a chance.

MaTT
ANVil

68Formula
10-03-2007, 10:50 PM
What about for a first gen bird?

I'm about 2years away from needing it, but I was going to ask the same question.

aggressive male
10-05-2007, 05:50 AM
:attn: OR..., you could go to www.anvilauto.com (http://www.anvilauto.com) and get what you need at an affordable price, NOW! We can ship today and have it to you in about a week or less!

Best, MaTT
ANVilHahaha, you guys only make 3 pieces for one car. they look good though.

aggressive male
10-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know if there is a kit you can buy to make your own parts since there isn't much to choose from? Or at least a repair kit for when you crack it up?

hotwheels
10-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Stay Tuned!
I know it doesn't look like a lot yet, but Anvil is in it's infancy. We have many more parts for many more cars in the works including parts other than carbon fiber. We are putting the final touches on a new kind of hood pin/fastener to go along with our hoods and can be used for any hood for that matter. We are also palnning on some billet aluminum parts and interior parts. Please keep in mind that making tooling (molds) for all these parts takes money and time and, as a new company, we need to tread carefully to test the market and not over extend oursleves. I don't want to put out shoddy products, so I'm taking time to do it right. I also have a design firm (www.3did.com (http://www.3did.com)), but cars is my passion, so I'm putting in a lot of extra hours to get Anvil up to where I envision it to be, because I love what I do. I know that everyone on this forum shares my passion, and it's hard to be patient about something that consumes you. My main goal is to make quality parts that look great, are easy to use and further customize while being as affordble as possible.Thank you for your understanding and support!:twothumbs

Best, MaTT
ANVil

tom_a
10-05-2007, 08:18 AM
[quote=hotwheels] I want to listen to guys like yourselves to get an idea of what people want. If someone already has a part that they want made in cf and don't mind giving up their part to make a mold from, I would be willing to give them a free cf part in return as long as it is for a car that has a fairly big market.

Matt, I have a '69 Chevelle SS Hood (repro), brand new in the box still. Don't know if you had many requests, but I am about 80 miles from you so I could bring it to you. I also would not expect a free CF hood in return and would be willing to pay additional money. Just thought I would throw that out. :dunno:

Thanks,
Tom

hotwheels
10-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi Tom,

Have you tried to fit the hood on your car yet? Usually they don't fit great without a lot of tweaking and smoothing. We would need to use your car or another Chevelle to use as a fitting model before we make a mold of it. What ever you make a mold from, that is what you get, so garbage in, garbage out. Give me a call on our toll free number to discuss further. 888 723-8882
Thanks!

MaTT
ANVil

ProTour69GTO
10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Stay Tuned!
I know it doesn't look like a lot yet, but Anvil is in it's infancy. We have many more parts for many more cars in the works including parts other than carbon fiber. We are putting the final touches on a new kind of hood pin/fastener to go along with our hoods and can be used for any hood for that matter. We are also palnning on some billet aluminum parts and interior parts. Please keep in mind that making tooling (molds) for all these parts takes money and time and, as a new company, we need to tread carefully to test the market and not over extend oursleves. I don't want to put out shoddy products, so I'm taking time to do it right. I also have a design firm (www.3did.com (http://www.3did.com)), but cars is my passion, so I'm putting in a lot of extra hours to get Anvil up to where I envision it to be, because I love what I do. I know that everyone on this forum shares my passion, and it's hard to be patient about something that consumes you. My main goal is to make quality parts that look great, are easy to use and further customize while being as affordble as possible.Thank you for your understanding and support!:twothumbs

Best, MaTT
ANVil

Any plans in the future for 68-69 GTO carbon fiber hoods?

John McIntire
10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
show us A-body peeps some love man! (preferably 70-72):naughty:

uraceulose
10-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Hotwheels,
I sent you an e-mail.
Thanks so much,
DZ

hotwheels
10-06-2007, 09:02 AM
I've had a lot of requests for '70-'72 Chevelle hoods. We will definitely be making one, but the question is, stock, flat hood, standard cowl induction or custom larger cowl induction, or maybe something altogether different. I would love to do a hood for the '68/'69 GTO as it is one of my favorite cars ( I had a '69 Trans Am awhile back, shoulda kept it). I wonder how big the market for a cf hood is for the GTOs? Perhaps I need a petition on our web site to get a feel for the market.

MaTT:hmm:
ANVil

gt1guy
10-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I think you should focus on the second gen Camaro. '70-'73 to be exact. Just my opinion though.

Kevin

hotwheels
10-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Kevin,

Funny you should say that. I just bought a '73 that was built by a guy by the name of Jason Wyrick in Arkansas. You might have seen his car on another web site. He had a 4" cowl hood on it, but I am fitting it with a flat (stock) hood that I plan to fill in the grille at the back part. We are working on custom vents and hood scoops that can be added for further customizing. I am also working on a special front end that I hope to produce as one piece that will look like an RS, but use the standard grille. We are also planning inner fender wells & the deck lid and 1 piece spoiler. All these parts will be cf.

MaTT
ANVil

Damn True
10-06-2007, 07:51 PM
GTO?

Like maybe four.

John McIntire
10-06-2007, 09:12 PM
I say for the 70-72 Chevelle, the stock cowl hood without the flapper will be good.

chicane67
10-06-2007, 09:21 PM
67-69 F, Stock flat hood and an unmodifised cowl panel (meaning, no hole and/or grill insert).

DarkoNova
10-06-2007, 09:32 PM
I've got a 69 nova with a fiberglass 4" cowl induction hood I wouldn't mind donating since I'm doing an engine swap and it's undriveable.

Also still have the stock flat hood.

I'm probably 50-ish miles away, too. :)

Matt

hotwheels
10-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Someone else requested our first gen Camaro cowl hood without any vent hole cut outs. We can do that and I will be making a few to see how they sell. It will be just like our existing part, but we just won't have the grille area cut out. That area will be smooth.

I'm not so into the tall cowl induction look. Aything over 2 1/2" gets a little too over the top (IMHO). I would, however, be interested in doing a flat hood for a Nova or maybe an SS. Like I'm telling other people who want to donate a hood (or any other part for that matter), if it's for a car that has a market, I will give the first production part to the donater free for donating the part. There are some stipulations. The hood needs to be fitted to the car perfectly and block sanded like it was ready for paint. So, if anyone is serious out there, let's talk. You can PM me or call our toll free number during the week: 888 723-8882

MaTT
ANVil

slowcamaro
10-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Third gen camaro hoods in carbon fiber would be nice. I know id love either a stock flat hood or an 82-84 Z style hood. I'll see if I can't scare up a local to get mold for you.

chicane67
10-08-2007, 07:20 PM
:secret: Stock, flat 67-69 Camaro hood :secret:

gt1guy
10-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Matt,

That 73 you picked up is one sweet ride. If anyone doesn't know what car it is, have a look. http://www.lateral-g.net/members/wyrick/

About the only stock fitting part I have left in the car would be the deck lid, so if you ever make a 2nd gen lid, I'm in.
How about bumpers or a RS nose?

Kevin

Damn True
10-09-2007, 07:11 AM
:secret: Stock, flat 67-69 Camaro hood :secret:

+1

I have one if you need one to make a mold from.

hotwheels
10-09-2007, 08:11 AM
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. It tells me I'm on the right track. I just bought a first gen flat hood a couple of weeks ago that I need to fit to a car (my '69 is in the shop & is disassembled). The hood is still in the box, so I might be able to return it if anyone is close enough to me so I can get a hood from them.

Yes, the Jason Wyrick Z28 that I bought is one mean SOB and a beautiful car. I already purchased a stock style hood for it and I'm fitting it to the car. I also bought the RS front end which I plan to make as one piece in cf, but modify to accept the standard grille. All the RS stuff really adds a lot of weight especially the endura grill surround (bumper). The deck lid and spoiler on the car are fitting good, so I think I'll just use them as patterns for the molds (after I modify the spoiler to make it flush fitting). The filler panel between the rear window and deck lid fits a little funky, so I will either need to work on it or replace it unless someone has a donor for me in great shape.
Since I'm running 2 companies and my wife is ready to drop our first kid any day now, I think I will take the car to a body shop to finish the details on all the parts of the car I want to make in cf. I am excited about getting all this stuff in production, but don't have the time or manpower to get it done pronto.
Thanks again for everyone's support and patience!

Best, MaTT
ANVil

gt1guy
10-09-2007, 11:07 AM
If you were to make just the RS nose piece, you'd sell a ton of them. Just ask over at nastyZ28.

Kevin

chicane67
10-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I have a stocker here in Vegas... let me know.

I will however, be at the Nov 10-11 El Mirage meet on the weekend of November 10-11... if you wanna swing by and do some land speed racing and pick up a hood... :woot:

Larry Callahan
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Do I understand you need a stock hood? I have one on my '68 in Thousand Oaks. It's been a decade since it's seen the sun. I think you are only like a 30-40 minute drive away?

hotwheels
10-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Larry,

Do you recall how it fit your car before you took it off? What kind of shape is it in?

-MaTT

Larry Callahan
10-10-2007, 11:38 AM
It fit pretty well the best I recall. After I posted that I thought you may not be able to use it. It has holes for hood pins in it.

Rick Dorion
10-11-2007, 04:01 AM
I'm all for learning so what is the benefit of a cowl hood without the openings?

hotwheels
10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
In my haste, I now realize that I typed "cowl hood with no vent cut outs", but what I meant, was " cowl panel with no vent cut outs" in my previous post. Our current cowl induction hood is a reproduction of the steel hood (in carbon fiber) with the air plenum leading from the rear cowl induction area and has the opening in the back with the screws to add a screen or even an original style cowl induction system. We are producing what I call a "bare" cowl induction hood that won't have the understructure or plenum in the middle, but will have the structure and vent holes in the back, induction area. You won't be able to set it up with a cowl induction set up that is sealed to the air cleaner, but it will allow for more hood clearance than a flat hood and still give you that retro, cowl induction look with a light weight carbon fiber twist. It will still allow air to enter through the back of the hood through the vents, it just won't be as functional as the one we have now that seals to the air cleaner. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Best, MaTT
ANVil

geoffreyj318
10-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I would be interested in a six-pack hood for 68-69 Mopar b-bodies, specifically, the Plymouth's.

aggressive male
10-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey Matt, I don't know how possible this is but if you really want to make a few parts that fit a lot of cars how about a cross member bar that goes between the frame rails and holds up the tranny? I'm sure the same one is used for a lot of GM cars and they rot from inside out so you have to replace it once in a while. If a carbon fiber bicycle frame is possible wouldn't a cross member be possible?

hotwheels
10-13-2007, 08:19 AM
That's a really interesting idea. Because the cross member would be under constant load it would need to be engineered to withstand that load without what is called "creep". This is not a problem if the part is designed right using the right processes. Also, since it needs to have the ability to put bolts through it, it would need to have aluminum or steel inserts in the bolt hole areas so it doesn't get crushed when the bolts are torqued down. It can be done, but it would take a lot of R&D.
Now, since it sits low in the car, you wouldn't get a lot of advantage with lowering the center of gravity like you do when you change out steel body panels with carbon fiber, nor would anyone see it for that wow factor. However, you do bring up a good point that there are a lot of shared parts with GM (and Ford or Mopar for that matter) cars, that would be good candidates for duplicating in carbon fiber for both the weight savings as well as for aesthetic reasons. Things like side view mirrors, door handles, spoilers, rear diffusers, or just about any interior piece would all be great candidates.

MaTT
ANVil :geek:

chicane67
10-13-2007, 12:22 PM
If a carbon fiber bicycle frame is possible wouldn't a cross member be possible?

Structural CF components are a totally different story... and I can pretty much say that it wouldnt be a cost effective venture. Unless you did a pre-preg lay up with a honeycomb core for a 'stock' replacement form.

But even then... unless you just happen to have a stack of Benjamins burning a hole in your pocket, the really isnt any gain in a part of this nature.

novanutcase
10-13-2007, 03:33 PM
'66 Chevy II Hood and Trunk lid would be appreciated!:naughty: :)

John

Tom Welch
10-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Could a replacement for a vinyl top be effectively made from carbon fiber or is this too far out there to be a practical undertaking? I bet it would look cool.

KHShapiro
10-14-2007, 09:41 PM
pro-touring.com members discounts in the works soon?:twothumbs

great looking stuff

hotwheels
10-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Tom,

I never thought of replacing the vinyl roof with carbon fiber. You're right, it would probably get attention. I just don't know how much of a market there is out there for something like that. It can be done, but would be an expensive piece to make just to test the market. The other thing about it is that it seems strictly cosmetic unless you are replacing the entire roof skin. The idea behind our carbon fiber parts is to lower the center of gravity as well as the total weight of the car while giving the car that high tech edge. My goal is to produce parts that are as functional as they are beautiful. If enough people thought they wanted it, though, I could have some made. I would need a deposit for the R&D. Since it doesn't need to be structural, it could be very thin, so it wouldn't weigh much more than a couple pounds. Any other takers?

MaTT
ANVil

hotwheels
10-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Keith,

Thanks for the kind words.
We did have a 10% discount if ordered before the end of September, to reward the early adoptors and get things rolling. Im not planning on any discounts on or current line up of parts, but may have an intorductory price on up coming parts like our second gen Camaro parts and first gen deck lid and spoiler. I hope to have them in production in a couple months. If anybody wants to buy a lot of parts at once,they can PM me and I can swing a volume discount depending on the number of parts.

MaTT
ANVil

JMarsa
10-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Could a replacement for a vinyl top be effectively made from carbon fiber or is this too far out there to be a practical undertaking? I bet it would look cool.

What might work better and still look cool is a faux carbon-look decal/sheeting with an adhesive backing (the stuff they cover Nascar bodies with) that would mimic a vinyl top. Especailly if it were dark enough. Good idea,

--JMarsa

gggoad
10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Matt, can you build the cowl panel with the vents closed out - a solid cowl panel? My car has been modified in the cowl and I was going to close out the original - but this would be a better route for me.

hotwheels
10-17-2007, 07:46 AM
I've been getting a lot of requests for this and it is not a problem, so I will be making some cowl panels with no vent hole cut outs in the next production run. I figure I should have some ready to ship around December. How soon do you need it?
:santa3:
We are also working on a one piece cf front valance panel/fender extensions for a '69 Camaro. Besides being a one piece affair, it will be slightly customized. It will accept a stock front spoiler or a custom air dam we are also designing.

Best, MaTT
ANVil

gggoad
10-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Not really in any hurry. Can you email me when you have them ready to go? [email protected]. Thanks!

hotwheels
10-22-2007, 09:41 AM
No problem, Gerald, will do!
Anyone else want one? Please let me know so I know how many to make. Thanks!

MaTT
ANVil

deuce
01-03-2008, 04:46 AM
any product updates ?

Cruiser
01-03-2008, 07:55 AM
All I can say is I know Matt and the team are working on two very cool interior pieces for 67-68 Camaros. There is no way anyone will get it out of me what he is working on but they will blow away current offerings on the market now!!

It might be a few months before they are ready to mold up the first ones. They will be worth the wait!!

Joe

hotwheels
01-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Joe is right, we are working on some really cool pieces for the interior of 1st and 2nd gen Camaros, but we are holding them close to the vest until we are closer to production. In the next few weeks we will have for sale our new feather weight cowl induction hood with no middle structure and 100% carbon fiber. Also our custom rear spoiler for '69 Camaros will be available. We also have right now thin real cf sheet that has an adhesive on the back that can be cut to any shape to cover non-compound curve interior pieces. We also have some 3/4" OD cf tubes which we will be using for custom fender braces using spherical rod ends. These items and more should be up on our web site in the next few weeks when we can get some good photography of them.

Best, MaTT
ANVil:)

Cruiser
01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
We also have some 3/4" OD cf tubes which we will be using for custom fender braces using spherical rod ends. These items and more should be up on our web site in the next few weeks when we can get some good photography of them.

Best, MaTT

I remember you speaking of those but were not able to give details of the ends.......very cool!!

Joe

Rick Dorion
01-09-2008, 04:40 AM
What about other engine compartment bracing?

hotwheels
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Rick,
What do you have in mind?

MaTT
ANVil

James OLC
01-09-2008, 02:59 PM
In the next few weeks we will have for sale our new feather weight cowl induction hood with no middle structure and 100% carbon fiber.
Best, MaTT

Dang Matt - it figures you would get around to that just as we are getting ready to go to paint... Chris would kill me if I told him that I had another CF hood on the way. Oh well, maybe next time. I happen to be looking for some 3/4" CF tube, when you have a chance, shoot me an email with princing it you can.

Thanks

Rick Dorion
01-10-2008, 04:25 AM
Rick,
What do you have in mind?

MaTT
ANVil
I was thinking of a cross bar in front of the air cleaner that would triangulate the core support bars. And another set that would go from the fender to the firewall.

68Formula
01-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I was thinking of a cross bar in front of the air cleaner that would triangulate the core support bars. And another set that would go from the fender to the firewall.

A bunch of us have been asking for this stuff on various threads and nobody has stepped up yet.:dunno:

hotwheels
01-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Here's a picture of our fender brace prototype. I would like to get feedback on what you guys think. As far as additional bracing goes, it sounds cool, but I wonder how much difference it will make. In the case of Mustangs where there is some cool aftermarket bracing available, it takes the place of stock stamped sheet metal bracing from the firewall to the shock towers and a shock tower brace kind of like a Shelby. Because Camaros have a subframe, that is where most of your stress is, so it would make more sense to have bracing from the firewall to the subframe to triangulate the subframe to the unibody, no? I think 21st Century offers this on their sub. There is a thicker steel member welded to the Camaro fender that makes the top of the fender a more rigid member to connect the firewall to the core support. I believe the fender braces on the Camros act as a gusset to keep the connection at the fender to core support from shifting. But I'm no GM engineer. If I'm wrong on this, please someone correct me, as I was thinking about making some additional bracing, but don't want it to be strickly cosmetic.

MaTT
ANVil

protour73
01-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Matt...........those fender braces offer support for side to side movement of the fender and radiator core support. Besides the subframe, the entire front end structure of a 2nd Gen Camaro (for example) is just the fender, and inner fender and radiator core support.

There are some after market guys selling a G-Brace,
which offers rigidity through triangulation between the firewall and subframe http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html

I'll test fit those braces for you..............absolutely stunning, they will match my CF valve covers!!!

Scott

buickfunnycar.com
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Matt,

I could see something like that on my car...better looking then the all-billet supports I've seen.

Me likey...keep me/us posted.:naughty:

jjump59
01-10-2008, 02:07 PM
i'm with them, that's cool! pricing?

hotwheels
01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm trying to get the cost down to around $75, maybe less a set. What do you guys think?
Here's another photo on a white background. The last one was washed out, so I went back to the photo table.

MaTT
ANVil

buickfunnycar.com
01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm trying to get the cost down to around $75, maybe less a set. What do you guys think?

MaTT
ANVil

where do I sign up...seriously?

email me @ [email protected]

hotwheels
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I still need to test it on a few cars to make sure there are no fitment issues, then start production. Maybe about a month we should have them ready to sell.

MaTT
ANVil

eville
01-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I still need to test it on a few cars to make sure there are no fitment issues, then start production. Maybe about a month we should have them ready to sell.

MaTT
ANVil

Raising my hand. I'll test fit them on my car for you.

Those are nice! I NEED those....

Project69
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
+1 Ill take a pair of those

deuce
01-11-2008, 06:27 PM
me too i like those

brownz
01-12-2008, 08:44 AM
count me in

2yellow69
01-12-2008, 09:36 AM
VERY nice! Count me in for a set.

Matt

brownz
01-12-2008, 12:38 PM
count me in

and i need a hood and trunk the ones on the chart 1,2, and 6 let us know when we can buy

:headbang:

69protour
01-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Count me in for a set! Absolutely beautiful pieces.....