PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a timing curve using the MSD Digital E-Curve Distributor

mossyback
07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I have just purchased the MSD Digital E unit and was looking for advice on setting a timing curve. The engine is a 383 chevy small block, aluminum heads, 11:1 compression, with quick fuel 750 carb w/mechanical secondaries. It's dyno power was 450 hp. The transmission is a TH350 with 3.42 rear gear ratio. I am looking to optimize fuel mileage, and will be running the vacuum advance, and use only turbo blue racing gasoline. If anyone has experience and can make a recommendation on rotary dial settings, I would greatly appreciate some input.

NOT A TA
07-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Call the MSD tech line. They will give you simpler instructions to install the distributor instead of using the lockout settings (Q-T) suggested in the written installation instructions that come with the distributor. Then while you've got them on the phone have them give you an idea of where which curves might be best for your application so you can look them up on the chart and get the dial settings, be sure to tell them you want to use the vacuum advance and mileage is your goal.

Keep in mind that mileage settings for the dials will probably be different than all out performance settings. Do you know what distributor the engine was dynoed with and how it was set up? That might give you a good starting point for a performance setting when you're looking at the charts with the electronic mechanical advance (A-P) and vacuum advance curves (1-5).

mossyback
07-08-2011, 04:56 AM
John, thank you for the kindness of the reply, and the information. I did call MSD and I believe I have a baseline. Thank you.

shox987
02-05-2012, 09:25 AM
[ i have a 383 also running a e curve what numbers did you set the dials to inside your e curve ?