PDA

View Full Version : Looking for your $0.02 on subframes

Somis
07-05-2011, 11:40 PM
So I'm building my 67 Camaro and have been looking at other people's build and noticed most are running a Art Morrison front and DSE 4 bar rear. I'm 90% Im going to run a DSE rear but I'm uneducated on a Art C6 subframe or a DSE subframe

Im looking for any info on one over the other post up your 2 cents

dhutton
07-06-2011, 03:23 AM
I have an AME subframe but I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I recommend that you investigate motor mount, header and brake options and costs before you make your final selection.

ProdigyCustoms
07-06-2011, 03:35 AM
We are probably uniquely qualified to speak on this subject for a few reasons.

(1), We might just sell more subframes, all brands combined, then anyone because we sell 4 brands of subframes:

in alphabetical order, not order of preference

Art Morrison
Chris Alston
Detroit Speed
SpeedTech

(2) We build a lot of cars using these parts. We just last weekend delivered a all DSE project to a customer. There are 2 other projects in our shop today using DSE front and rear. We also have 4 projects in our shop using Art Morrison. We also installed the very first Chris Alston subframe sold to the public way back in 2000??? and debuted SpeedTech subframe in our Emptynest project at SEMA in 2007. So we use what we sell.

There is no wrong decision for you here. The 2 subframes you are looking at are at the top of the heap. Both have fantastic performance numbers. Both are killer quality, and both are at the upper end of subframe pricing. Often it comes down to visual preference of weather you like the look of the fabricated C6 Corvette based AME or the smooth and stealthy look of the DSE unit.

The DSE frame also list for $800 more then the AME. So total cost is sometimes a deciding factor. Geography may play into the financial decision, if you live on the east coast shipping for a DSE from North Carolina is a lot less then shipping for a AME coming from Washington State, and vise versa.

The decision for me would be simple in your case since you have locked onto the Quadralink rear, it would be a no brainer to keep the car all DSE front and rear. Had you locked in on Art Morrison's rear suspension, I would say the same thing about keeping it all AME. As I said, there is no wrong decision.