PDA

View Full Version : Adding Cruise Control... A MUST for a pro-touring rod

69Myway
06-22-2005, 04:44 AM
I would like to share one of my latest mods and encourage all of you to take the plunge.

I plan on driving my Camaro on the road quite a bit and have found cruise to be a real benefit to save gas, speeding tickets, and to decrease fatigue on the road.

There are MANY different units out there to consider, so don't take this as an endorsement for one or the other, just what I have now had success with.

I ordered a Audiovox Vacuum operated cruise from here:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=cruise+control&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=46&y=8

Of the different units out there, it is the least expensive AND it can be directly hooked to s STOCK GM cruise switch.

My car is a 69 Camaro with a 2000 LS1 and 4L60E trans. I installed a 1981 Vette tilt/tele column and retrofitted that with a cruise switch from a early 90's GM car (they are all about the same) and converted my windshield wiper switch to the column as well. You can use a GM column from virtually any car that would have come with cruise, or simply use the cruise switch that comes with the kit that is dash, console, or door panel mounted.

The unit is VERY compact. I mounted it on top of the brake to steering column bracket and wrapped the pull cable back around to the top of the Lokar throttle pedal assembly. The whole unit fits under the dash 100% hidden from view. I pulled a vacuum line off the back of the intake under the trans tunnel and into the unit. The unit wires DIRECT into the GM column switch. I had to put the Magnet sensor kit on the driveshaft as it would not read the PPL (pulse per mile) signal from the 4L60E speedo unit.

If the car was a stick shift it would have ONLY required a connection to the tach lead. If it was an older trans (700R4) or a FORD/Chrysler, etc, it would have been able to run off the stock VSS. The magnet sensor is very compact though and easy to mount.

The results?

Clean fresh install totally hidden. Once on the highway I simply push the set button and sit back. The unit links up to the throttle quickly. It has a connection to the tach signal to avoid a over-rev problem if the car is knocked out of gear or slips on a wet road, etc.

For less the $100 it has ready to roll OEM performance totally hidden cruise.

Give it a shot!

www.mcspeed.homestead.com (http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com)

WS6
06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
thats really cool. i wish my cruise worked on my 79TA. thanks for the info.

oh and ive been drooling over your vette for quite a while now when I see it in all the VBP ads.