PDA

View Full Version : Engine Storage?

LowFast
06-30-2011, 07:34 AM
So this weekend I will be picking up a used engine for my project. It is an all aluminum ford 4.6 3v out of a 2006 mustang with 41k on it. :twothumbs Engine and tranny are in perfect shape and I am grabbing it for a steal.

My question: It will be at least a year or more before I get the project up and running (will be using engine for mock-up and fitment in the mean time.) What do I need to do to prep the engine to sit for 12-18 months? Drain all fluids and bag it up, or is there more to it than that? I just want to make sure it is in as good of working order when I want to fire it up as it was when I picked it up.

Oakesters
07-22-2011, 12:37 PM
inside will help............... oakesters

LowFast
07-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks, I thought about throwing it in my neighbors pool as the second option. All kidding aside it looks like since it will be in the garage, sealed up and is a well broken in engine (all aluminum as well) there is not much to do but keep it covered. Only plan to have it sit idle for 6-12 months and will turn the crank over every once in awhile to keep things loose.

NJSPEEDER
07-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Whenever we store my friends race motor for winter all we do is back the rockers off, fill it up to the crank with oil, and pull the plugs and spray WD40 in to put a layer of rust protection in the bore. Wrapping it up in a garbage bags with some baking soda or similar to absorb moisture is also a good idea.

-Tim

LowFast
07-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Baking Soda is a good idea. Thanks. When I get the ported heads (should arrive tomorrow) I will back off the springs/rockers when I install them.

brans72
07-24-2011, 10:28 AM
What if a LS motor would you back rocker then just question.

Twentyover
07-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I'd also plug the intake and exhaust to prevent little friends from nesting in the engine.

LowFast
07-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I'd also plug the intake and exhaust to prevent little friends from nesting in the engine.

Already done, that was the very first thing I did.