PDA

View Full Version : BBC 454 Crank With BBC 396 Block..Work?

Jims78elky
06-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Question guys, I got a free old 396 Big block (actually a 402 ) and have a bunch of old BBC parts laying around in the garage. I already have a pretty nice forged 454 crank and wanted to know if anybody has used one in a 396 block? I was thinking of building it for a friend of mine who is looking for a BBC for his 72 Monte Carlo project.

The 396 came with oval port heads #781 and is really a nice clean rust free block. I don't even think the engine has seen a rebuild, when I took of one of the heads it has stock looking pistons from what I can tell that are the original's.

I would think that I would have to have special piston's for the build up but would I have to grind anything on the block to get the 454 crank to go in? I think it would be a interesting build, sure a 454 block would be the first choice to build, it might even be cheaper, but again I got it for free and wanted to use it if I could.

I appreciate any thoughts...or input.

Randy67
06-30-2011, 06:25 AM
It has been done, ends up somewhere around 427 cid I believe. It would be better to do the 454, especially since the pistons won't be "off-the-shelf" items and 454 parts are fairly cheap. Plus some restorer out there could use the 396 block for their project.