PDA

View Full Version : Red Top Track Ideas

HectorM52
06-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, I am so excited about next month so I started thinking about our "track" and how we should lay it out. As a driver of one of the LONGER vehicles...I think we need to make this thing speed friendly. Oh yeah.

So, anyway, I got on Google maps and cleaned up the lot so we can draw some ideas on it. Oh, the red dots are the concrete pole bases so don't get near those!!!

Get your Microsoft Paint skeels rolling!!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/Redtop_Ready_For_Track-1.jpg

HectorM52
06-29-2011, 07:42 PM
I think we made the track a LOT better last year...but I think we made one of two mistakes...depending on your opinion...

Either 1) we didn't do a multi-lap setup

or 2) we didn't have the track cross itself

I love the idea of having a multi-lap track because I think it cuts down on the "change" time between each competitor. I would love to do 2 laps. I think we have a smaller track and that would be very feasible. Maybe even 3.

Though I didn't show how this could become a multi-lap track I think we could easily turn it back around for another lap.

Trying to "design" a track really shows me how difficult this is...and now I can REALLY see why we did the Chicago-box last year. It's just good use of small space!!

Let me know what you think.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/Redtop_Track_Idea_1-1.jpg

cobragt
06-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I did some course design when I was with Martin Sports Car Club back in Orlando. See how this works, I even put in for an optional second lap.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/redtopautoauctionautocrossvi-1.jpg.

Sorry it didn't scan in larger. This lot is actually not too bad a size.

JEFFTATE
06-30-2011, 04:55 AM
The course we did the first year ( 2009 , when it rained ) , fed back into itself ..
I love doing 3-laps at a time .
It saves on switch over time .
And your tires get a little warmer and you run better times .

RS_Customs
06-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Paul your has some nice features. The only things I don't like is where the finish is and the corner that you would have speed in that points drivers at the timing location and the pole. Timing doesn't have to be in the location, but the pole being on the outside of a fast corner might be an issue.

I have also been thinking about the parking for participants and the spectators. Hopefully to make it a little less crammed. We have the dirt lot to the right of the entrance that I figure "all non participating cars" will be parking in. There is also a road behind the auction lot that I need to see if they will allow us to park towing rigs on so we aren't wasting good spaces for the cars.

I will try to find some time to draw up a course map too.

Robert

cobragt
06-30-2011, 02:33 PM
These are really not big issues, off set gates will slow the cars down or even a mini slalom. Timing trailer can be near the start the loop can be moved in more to get farther away from the one street light line this will also make it tighter and slow the cars down a bit more. Also move the finish lights back more and off set gates to get a slower exit off the course. I only put the timing trailer there because thats about where it was last year. Also I kind of drew this at 2 in the morning. I've always been a fan of a longer course and it does look like there is room for it.
Paul your has some nice features. The only things I don't like is where the finish is and the corner that you would have speed in that points drivers at the timing location and the pole. Timing doesn't have to be in the location, but the pole being on the outside of a fast corner might be an issue.

I have also been thinking about the parking for participants and the spectators. Hopefully to make it a little less crammed. We have the dirt lot to the right of the entrance that I figure "all non participating cars" will be parking in. There is also a road behind the auction lot that I need to see if they will allow us to park towing rigs on so we aren't wasting good spaces for the cars.

I will try to find some time to draw up a course map too.

Robert

HectorM52
07-04-2011, 02:41 PM
The course we did the first year ( 2009 , when it rained ) , fed back into itself ..
I love doing 3-laps at a time .
It saves on switch over time .
And your tires get a little warmer and you run better times .

I also liked that course...it was just too short. We didn't utilize the whole lot as well as we did in year 2. I really think we should do AT LEAST two laps. And not being afraid to "cross" over paths on the course should open us up a bit too. I can't wait. So excited.

JEFFTATE
07-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I get confused .

cobragt
07-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Walk the course many many times. Or ride around it on a bike many times. :)

I get confused .