PDA

View Full Version : Question for those w/ HTH truck arm setup.

TLWiltman
06-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Just out of curiosity... How long did it take you to recieve the kit from the time it was ordered?

JMarsa
06-22-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't remember exactly, but around 6-8 weeks. But I got everything as promised.

--JMarsa

TLWiltman
06-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Well... the reason I ask is that I ordered a setup for a 2nd gen Camaro the 5th of April. It's getting pretty close to 3 months now. I ve called a couple of times (week 6 and week 9, if memory serves). So I guess I'm just kinda... wondering. I'm not sure whether to be pi$$ed or patient. Just fishing for a timeline I suppose

69boo307
06-23-2005, 05:23 AM
Took about a month for me, but almost 2 weeks of that were shipping time from CA to NC. I've had mine 1 1/2 years though, I don't think they were nearly as busy, the kits had just come out on the market.

TLWiltman
06-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Well, thanks for the replies, fellas. Come to find out, I got a phone call today w/ a UPS tracking #. Should arrive tues. barring a major disaster. I kind of figured it was a growing pains (for HTH) thing... but had to put feelers out. Due diligence, I suppose.

Thanks again

JMarsa
06-24-2005, 05:40 AM
NP, I went though all the same feelings.

--JMarsa

TheRoaringEagle
06-27-2005, 07:41 PM
How do you like your HTH truck arm suspension? I'm interested in this route in the future. Leaf suspension to me isn't something I want to invest in and getting an IRS from a Corvette is way out of my range.

baz67
06-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Leaf suspension to me isn't something I want to invest in range.

Why, leafs can be made to work very well. If you were looking for something a little diferent then that is a different story.

69boo307
06-28-2005, 06:57 AM
How do you like your HTH truck arm suspension? I'm interested in this route in the future. Leaf suspension to me isn't something I want to invest in and getting an IRS from a Corvette is way out of my range.

in a nutshell... it's an excellent all around design for good performance on the street, at the strip, and even at the occassional road track event. There are better solid axle designs out there for all out track cars. Probably the biggest disadvantage is the weight it adds, but all that weight is below the center of gravity, which helps to lower your COG, a good thing.

TLWiltman
06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Well,

It's here. All was in there, as expected. UPS wasn't happy (weight was stated @145#, weight was actually 174#) but they delivered (to the correct address, unlike my SCP housing). I have it partially mocked up in my "studio room" (pic attached). I can see the extra weight. Should not only be below CG, but also aft (increasing rear weight%).

Kenova
06-28-2005, 04:42 PM
I notice your rear end housing is a full floater. Have you decided what you're running for wheels?
Ken

Mean 69
06-28-2005, 05:03 PM
(weight was stated @145#, weight was actually 174#)

Is that weight figure WITH the housing? I guess I didn't realize the kit came with a housing included. Anyway, that's a pretty heavy setup, more than it would be with leafs. Looks like you are going to have a ton of fun with it though, have a blast and keep the photos/feedback coming.
Mark

TLWiltman
06-29-2005, 03:22 AM
No, the weight does not include the housing. Housing is an SCP superspeedway unit (-.5* camber each side, 3" DOM tubes w/ .220" wall-Currie Track 9 center housing- 3.25 gear w/ detroit locker in a nodular case). The weight is, however, the shipping weight of a stage 2 (650+hp) setup. The shipping crate itself probably weighs ~40#... another 10# or so for the floor replacement plates (replacing material of roughly equal weight being removed). The truck arms themselves aren't too terribly heavy... around 20-25# apiece give or take. The PHB is pretty stout, and so is the x-member (1/4" wall for the slider box, 1/8" wall for the rest). The springs and shocks were (amazingly) lighter than stock. The T/A x-member has a bit of heft to it. The rest is mostly bracing for the unibody, so the tradeoff is pretty good. Also realize that you lose the factory swaybar/brackets, the leaf springs/mounts and shackles, and can get rid of the factory shocks/mounts. You add some weight, you take some away. Overall, it's probably a little heavier than stock suspension. I'll hazard a guess and say on the order of 50# or so.

As far as wheels... haven't really decided yet. The 3" hub, 5x5 lug pattern and 5/8" studs narrow me down to a racing wheel of some sort, but... I'm still researching. I doubt that the wheels are going to be anything particularly unique.

Tad

wendell
06-29-2005, 03:54 AM
TLW,
How happy are you with the fabrication? Any chance you could snap a close up of the cross member? Good luck looks like a fun project. Great choice for a rear end.
Jensen

sinned
06-29-2005, 04:28 AM
As far as wheels... haven't really decided yet. The 3" hub, 5x5 lug pattern and 5/8" studs narrow me down to a racing wheel of some sort, but... I'm still researching. I doubt that the wheels are going to be anything particularly unique.

TadAny special reason you choose the 5X5 with 5/8" studs vs 5X4.75 with 1/2"? It would make wheel selection much easier with the smaller bolt circle (and much more common), I also beleive the 5X4.75 hubs have a slightly smaller O.D. for the wheel hub.

Mean 69
06-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Depending on the snouts themselves, you can possibly use the hubs from Moser (if you haven't already gotten the hubs, that is, or if you have, you can probably sell them easily). I believe they use the GN bearing stack/snouts. Mine are drilled for the smaller bolt circles, make sure you request 1/2" studs. Also, I'd suggest the aluminum ones.... You have to poke around on their site to find them, it is the CT (Circle Track) stuff. Oh yeah, you'll have to turn doen the OD of the drive plate where it goes into the wheel, most likely. And the end cap.

Mark

TLWiltman
06-29-2005, 01:15 PM
The hubs (yes, I already have them) are SCP super speedway units. I actually bought them used from www.2ndchanceraceparts.com (http://www.2ndchanceraceparts.com). They came with bearings, races, drive plates, and everything else I need. After a thorough cleaning and inspection... they look good... the bearings look great. I did buy new bearings, races, and seals. I will use those for final assembly, and the used stuff for spares. Still saved me ~$500.

The 5x5 hub pattern was just what happened to come with the hub. The 5/8" studs were the same, but I feel warmer and fuzzier knowing that I shouldn't ever have a breakage issue. I'll be ordering new ARP "speed studs" when I get to that point

There are plenty of wheels I could choose. Most of the custom race wheel mfrs. can make any B.C., stud size, and hub register you(I) need. This is one of those areas of my proj. where I don't think I'll be able to save $$ and maintain quality. In this case, I made my bed with my choice of parts (and overall concept) and I'll have to lie in it :)

Kenova
06-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Could have been worse. The hubs could have had the wide-5 pattern.
Ken