PDA

View Full Version : Primer help

paulk68
06-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Alright so I am going to be sanding some of the smaller body panels trunk lid, valance panels ect. and i will be storing them as i work on my car. could take a few years. i know that eventually i want to epoxy prime these long term but what is my best option for protecting them right now? I want to put something on them to prevent rust but also will not need to be sanded off for the poly primer in a year or so. I do not have a compressor or i would just epoxy them. would i be better off sanding them my self then taking the panels to have them put in epoxy or is there something i can rattle can on them for the time being. thanks

dhutton
06-27-2011, 03:29 AM
Some one is selling rattle can epoxy, maybe SEM. I think that would be your best bet.

TT302Z28
06-27-2011, 05:54 AM
I have bought from a local chain called Warehouse Paint automotive SEM weld through, high build and epoxy primer in a rattle can for small projects within the last 12 months. I believe it was when I was touching up the car trailer I bought and didn't want to get too carried away with mixing and cleaning to spray.

HotRod47
06-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Anything in a rattle can is basically a laquer type 1k product and will not offer you any good protection. Take the parts and have them epoxy primed with a good 2 component product.

kush69
06-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Try Spies Hecker 3255 or 4085 both come in spray can

elitecustombody
06-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Why not just buy a compressor,it doesn't have to be big or expensive,check local craigslist. Epoxy primer is the ultimate protection,even years down the road, just roughen it up and it's ready for body work,primer or paint.

dhutton
06-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Anything in a rattle can is basically a laquer type 1k product and will not offer you any good protection. Take the parts and have them epoxy primed with a good 2 component product.

2K epoxy primer in a rattle can:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/spray-max-2k-epoxy-rust-cure-primer-3680032-p-14526.aspx

A little pricey but it does exist.