PDA

View Full Version : This community has lost a dedicated Vendor and I have lost a friend today.

Bill Howell
06-26-2011, 01:04 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=36300

I just got a call from Bret at Ridetech, informing me that Todd Gartshore with Baer Brakes passed away today.
No details, but I thought you guys that knew Todd would want to know.
I will pass along funeral arraignments as I get them.
So long my friend, RIP and know you will be missed.

David Pozzi
06-26-2011, 02:15 PM
I just heard & can't believe it! Such a kind man & a great friend.
Mary, Deanna, & I are feeling so bad!
David

James OLC
06-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I am truly in shock. I spoke with Todd at length on Friday and really don't know what to say today. Todd was a good friend and a great supporter of the industry and our community. He will be missed.

Ron.in.SoCal
06-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Although I don't recall meeting the man, I have spoken to and worked w Dutch, Rick and others at Baer. I dig the company and their support for high performance on the street and track. I hope they transition forward successfully, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Baer family...

dropit69
06-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Talked with him at some events..always a nice guy and very excited about the industry..RIP Todd and prayers to his family..

Larry Callahan
06-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Rest in peace Todd. I have lost a good friend today and a great supporter of the industry and this web site. Thanks for being my friend. You will be missed.

JEFFTATE
06-26-2011, 03:25 PM
I talked with Todd on several occasions .
He was a good guy .
RIP Todd.

Gitter Dun
06-26-2011, 03:43 PM
I spoke with Todd on several occasions. Hard to fathom. RIP Todd.

elitecustombody
06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
RIP. That is a very big loss for many.

compos mentis
06-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Way too young...my condolences to his family and friends.

wiedemab
06-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Wow, so sorry to hear. Dad and I really enjoyed talking to him at RTH and last year at Road America. My thoughts are with his family ands friends.

Ron S
06-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Todd helped me out at the first Motorstate when my brakes went away, and then helped me when I upgraded. Seemed to realy just love racing of all kinds, nice guy to talk to. Will be missed. Ron

mpozzi
06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm still in shock and also spoke to Todd Friday morning. He was a true friend and my condolences to all of his family and friends. Gone way too soon ...

Our events won't be the same and you're missed, my friend.

Mary Pozzi

ProdigyCustoms
06-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Had a chance to spend some quality time with Todd at the 48 hour Camaro build. We chatted a few hours about the hobby, business and life. I don;t think he was quite done yet!

He had a real passion for the hobby. The industry has lost a good one today.

RIP.

Route2
06-26-2011, 04:44 PM
We remember Todd for being the guy that firmly understood that his business was about much more than chunks of metal and dollar signs. It was passion for friendship, community, and good times that drove Todd to build the best brake products. We wanted to share a couple video clips we are fortunate enough to have captured that give a glimpse of that passion. Thanks Todd, for helping show us all how to "use what we have" to the fullest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CYdZAJo6I

sniper
06-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Wow shocking, I met Todd a few years back at the GM SEMA awards breakfast, we sat next to each other and he was a super nice guy. He just made you feel like you were friends for a long time.
My condolences to his family.
RIP Mr. Gartshore.

WallyFM3
06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
This is very sad news. Todd was a good friend and dedicated supporter of the events we produce, it was a pleasure to have worked with him. My condolences to his family.

andrewb70
06-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Sad news. RIP Todd.

Andrew

tommycomfort
06-26-2011, 05:58 PM
The Farrington family is truly saddened by Todd's passing. He treated me with respect and kindness from the first time I met him. He will be dearly missed by all of us! Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Tom

justimagine
06-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Our sincerest condolences to the Gartshore family and the Baer Brakes team. Todd was a real hero in our industry and has supported this hobby for many years. I'm so glad I was able to spend time with him - Todd and I did a road trip in a two seater convertible from Phoenix to LA last year and I realized there was much more to this man than selling brakes for cool cars. Thanks Todd, rest in peace.

Danny Thomas
06-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Todd was a great friend and supporter of RTTC. Just talked to him recently about brakes for my Trans Am project. He was always available to help and had a passion for our hobby. I will miss his friendship. Rest In Peace Todd and my condolences to your family.

Scarelane
06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
I didn't know him or buy his products, but mojo sent to his family and friends..

shmoov69
06-26-2011, 08:27 PM
A friend texted me and told me today. My condolences to his family.

PT Sportwagon
06-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry, to hear that a friend and supporter of motorsports has passed. R.I.P Todd. Condolences to his family.

Tim

Mr.VENGEANCE
06-26-2011, 09:36 PM
aww man..

R.I.P

406 Q-ship
06-26-2011, 09:56 PM
I am deeply sadden to hear of the passing of Todd. Todd was one of those rare people, a tireless worker for Baer Brakes. It was more than just a hobby or business to him. Todd had a passion that could ignite a fire in those that talked to him about the industry and his chosen company. I was fortune enought to have worked with him on getting the brakes on my Malibu, we also used my car's runs at RTTC I to work out the kinks in the timing system on the start/stop. I first met Todd at Super Chevy Suspension shootout when he came by the Edelbrock Trailer, he again was there to assist the competitors. We have lost a true star and somewhere in heaven the cars are going to stop a whole lot better. Godspeed Todd and my thoughts to his family and coworkers.

CarlC
06-26-2011, 10:03 PM
My condolences to the families. He was a great guy.

PTS
06-26-2011, 10:49 PM
I am in shock to say the least. I met Todd in the early 90's and we worked on several custom truck projects together. Todd was always there to share conversations and lend his expertise. I just talked to him recently and now this news... R.I.P. Todd and my condolences to his family. You will be missed dearly...

Perry
PTS

CraigMorrison
06-27-2011, 04:44 AM
Todd you were a great guy and it was always a pleasure talking to you. Rest In Peace my friend.

NOT A TA
06-27-2011, 04:51 AM
We've lost a good man who will be missed. One who would take the time and do what he thought was best not just what was needed. Condolences to his family.

bret
06-27-2011, 05:36 AM
I learned yesterday that my good friend Todd Gartshore had died. Things like this always come as a shock…this was especially so.
These words are mostly therapy for me…take what you need and let the rest lay.

Obviously we cannot feel the loss on the level of his immediate family and co-workers, but to say that Todd touched the lives of many in a positive manner seems too small a statement.
I met Todd in 1990 while I was working for Blower Drive Service and he for Vortech, but didn’t really get to spend any significant time together until he was working with Baer Brakes and I with Air Ride Technologies. As a young, new business owner I became a student of Todd’s approach to marketing and promotional efforts. “Big Bad Baer”…"Longer, Deeper, Harder”…and "Brakes, for the way you WANT to drive!”…are all still very powerful invitations to share the passion that Todd and Baer Brakes has for racing and hotrods.

I also became a student of Todd’s ability to quickly identify a solid project to put his product on. He always looked more toward the person than the car…if the person was solid, they would build a solid car and promote it [and his products] properly. He saw value in being associated with those types of people.
He also strived to support any efforts to “use what you’ve got”. He was a longtime supporter of the Pro Touring movement that encouraged hotrodders to actually drive their cars instead of just looking at them. As he once told me “my brakes don’t work any better than anyone else’s until you get the car out of the garage!”. Todd’s supports for these events extended to his personal time as well. He was a fixture at the various track days and autocrosses around the country demonstrating that brakes could indeed make your car faster.
It was at his invitation that I went to my first driving school at Bondurant and at Spring Mountain. By this measure many of us at RideTech can trace our success in this market back to the helping hand of Todd Gartshore.

Todd and Beth always made the hotrod Powertour a special event as well. For years I thought that black 69 Mustang was his…I still think he put on his share of the 450,000 miles that are on that car today!

I enjoy nearly everyone in this industry, but there are a few people who are extra special. Obviously Todd Gartshore was one of those extra special people to me. We built many cars together, most recently the 48 Hour Camaro. Todd was THE first to commit to that project not only for product but to come out and be a part of the build team. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and we both commented at that time that it was one of the best parties that anyone had thrown in some time. I did not know at that time it would be our last together.

Honesty, Integrity, Passion…it would be easy to apply those terms to Todd, but they cannot describe the depth of those attributes. I will miss our infrequent but lengthy conversations about the industry, the people, the products, how to make them, how to sell them, how NOT to sell them, how to market them, catalogs, websites, customers, financing, employees, bankers, taxes, government, religion, women, kids, and even cars.

I think possibly one of the reasons that Todd and I connected on a personal and professional level was our similar shape. [round IS a shape, right?]. We silently commiserated over some of the obstacles we had to overcome to go forward on a given subject. We encouraged and inspired each other, sometimes when no one else could. As with any human, I enjoyed the encouraging as much as the encouragement, and will miss both.

I realize that I am but one of thousands of people who Todd touched in a similar fashion. That realization magnifies the scope of his passing. I intend to celebrate his life by continuing to make the most of his wisdom, experience, and encouragement in my own life.

Steve Chryssos
06-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Todd Gartshore embodied grace under pressure. He overflowed with experience and creativity. He leaves behind a great legacy of support for the aftermarket as well as pro-touring in particular. The very first formal P-T driving event was a joint effort between Hotchkis and Baer. Back when everyone was still hot for straight line action, dudes like Todd were pushing the excitement and challenges for turning corners.

Sincerest Condolences from Steve and Mary Chryssos as well as the Twist Machine and Grassroots Motorsports families

John Wright
06-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Sorry to hear about Todd's passing...RIP Todd.

RJ66
06-27-2011, 06:44 AM
I heard about our hobby & the industries loss yesturday when I was of corse working in the garage on a car. I sat for a moment & thought about what a presense that Todd always had at many of the events that he not only sponsored, sat there in the sun sweating his butt off with the rest of us nuts. I loved the comments he would make to me after I just got done wiping all the cones out on the other end of a speed stop challenge, " Well Randy that sure was entertaining & I give you a first place for the most distance after the cones. :-)" I don't think I ever saw him not smiling, & he was always there to help or give advise. Todd you were a true inspiration for the car hobby & marketplace , you will be missed.

RIP

Scott Parkhurst
06-27-2011, 06:55 AM
He was a really good friend to me and obviously many others. I am a better man for having known him. We met in 1998 and hit it off immediately. We worked together on several projects- all of which worked wonderfully. Working with Todd meant the results would be outstanding. Hanging out with Todd meant you'd have a good time and share many smiles.

I miss him already.

tazzz25906112
06-27-2011, 08:07 AM
I've been in a combination of fog and dis-belief since last night when I received the the call about Todd passing.... We only knew each other for a brief few years, however in that time I quickly realized that Todd was one of those guys that just "got it".... A born leader he'd take any situation and turn it into laughter while always getting the job done at the same time....

Beth, Todd and I enjoyed some great meals and laughter together.... I still remember his face lighting up when I broke out some Real Imported Parma Presutto down at the 48hrs build.... That simple food, that simple moment, and the beaming smile it put on his face will be something I will often reflect on from now on when enjoying one of our favorite snacks... In day to day life Todd was like that moment,,, understated yet over the top all that the same time...

Speaking to my friend Bret, he said something that rang so true in my ears.... Bret stated these posting are our way of dealing with our loss... Well gang I'll cut this somewhat short because if I really typed all words it would take to try too convey the loss I am feeling in my good friends departure,,,, I'd crash Larry's server.

In the end the root of it all is """" Good God I'm going to miss my friend, RIP good buddy """"

trapin
06-27-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet him, sounds like he touched a lot of people.

My condolences.

sr73bu
06-27-2011, 09:04 AM
So sorry to hear this about a man who touched so many lives in this community and others... My prayers go out to his family and friends....RIP

-Sean

Nine Ball
06-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I never got to meet Todd. Based on the comments above, it is unfortunate that I didn't. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP Todd.

Tony

Bow Tie 67
06-27-2011, 10:31 AM
I had the pleasure to meet Todd at the first Motorsate event 3 years ago. We talked, laughed, tipped a few back and had a general good time. I was fortunate enough to speak with him on several other occasions but did not know the man very well. After reading other posts from friends who knew him much better I have a much better understanding the feeling of loss I'm experiencing. God bless him and his family.

Cris@JCG
06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Todd a few years ago over dinner & drinks thru Albert M.. What a great guy he was.. What a great loss to the community.. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP Todd

silver69camaro
06-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Always a real nice guy, what a loss...

LeighP
06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a great guy....what a damn shame. My condolences to friends and family.

1969CamaroRS
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry to hear about Todd. Condolences to his family.

Nessumsar
06-27-2011, 02:51 PM
I had the pleasure to speak with Todd on a couple of occassions, nothing more than simple small talk; but he was always so eager to hear what you had to say, no matter the importance. A real, genuine guy who will be missed by more than he knew.

:cheers:

Bozeforged
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
We are deeply saddened to hear of Todd's passing on Sunday. We enjoyed working with Todd and sharing information and ideas. We appreciated the kindness he extended to our family. He will be missed!!

Team Boze

bret
06-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I just talked to Hal Baer and Bill Koppinger a few minutes ago. No new info on funeral arrangements yet. Beth and family are still working through it.

64impala
06-27-2011, 06:32 PM
My condolences to him, his family, and friends. We will be praying for his family and friends

SRD art
06-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Wow. Always sad to lose someone who whole heartedly supported the advancement of our hobby. He will be missed. RIP.

Bill Howell
06-27-2011, 06:45 PM
I have had a day now to reflect on memories, shed a tear or two, and start to realize what we all have lost.
Like others, I wanted to share my thoughts, if for no other reason, for myself. As Bret Voelkel said in his post, take from it what you like, but please let me do this so I can heal the hurt inside.

The first time I met Todd was at the Pro-Touring SEMA dinner in 2006. From that moment, I considered him a friend, and always knew I could count on him for anything, even if it was just for advise. Todd was quick to help with simple questions about brakes, quick to help out with projects and the first in line when there was a need. When I started doing events, Todd was always wanting to donate products, give advise and eventually created what we know as the Baer Speed/Stop challenge. I don't know anyone with more patiences or anyone that could work through a problem under pressure and never show flustration than Todd. I remember at the Faceoff event last year and the first RTTC, he working thru the problems we had making the timing devices work. Everyone else was pulling their hair out, and Todd, with his ever present smile just pressed on and figured it out. Then, singlehanded, worked all the cars through that segment of the events and finished before everyone else. I practiced so many laps at Faceoff, that I needed new tires when I got home, but never did Todd ask me to finish up so he could close shop. He was happy to see me trying to improve my times and suggested techniques to help my skills.
Todd talked me through several issues I encountered when I began doing events also. I could call him, anytime and he would take the time to walk me through the problem and always had the best plan to fix things. When I would get down about how an event went or how someone just couldn't be made happy, Todd would be the one to calm me down and make me see through the problem and how to make the next event better. There was never anyone to encourage me more to push the events and make the hobby bigger and better.
At the Protouring SEMA dinner last year, he gave me a certificate for a complete set of brakes, my choice, for any car or project I choose to use it on. He has called me several times this year to ask when I plan to use it, and sadly, the car those brakes will go on is in transit across the country now. I had told him about it, but he never got to see the car or rendering. I may just keep that certificate and frame it for my office.
Just last week, in the thread I had about cars, safety and events, Todd called me twice to suggest what he thought would solve most of the problems. I assure you I will follow those notes when I make my final decisions.
For those that knew Todd, I am sure these stories make sense to you, for those that never had the pleasure, know that Todd was everything you have heard. Todd was so different than me with his personality. I am always the bull in the china shop, and he was always telling me to slow down and enjoy life and make each moment count. I know that he did, and I will try harder now to follow his advise.
My heart goes out to Beth, his family, and to his partners and employees at BAER. There will always be that
void left by his early departure, but time will heal and we will go on. I do know this, chariots in heaven will
have better brakes now, since he has gone on before us.
Farewell my friend, thanks for the memories I will always cherish, for the advise the made me a better person and for the fun times we shared. I will see you again my friend, but until then, Godspeed.....

CurtiSS 69
06-27-2011, 09:09 PM
What a huge loss. Todd was a tremendous wealth of knowledge, as well as a genuine great person. It will be tough not seeing, or talking to him again. My deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

JJEH
06-27-2011, 09:27 PM
So sad.

RIP Mr. Gartshore!

HzEmall
06-28-2011, 07:59 AM
WTF........

I first meet Todd at MPMC a few years ago and we hit it off big time. Like many have said he was always there for you and willing to lend a hand or just an ear to listen. The first time I met him I had an hour to "pitch" our project vehicles. We spent the whole time talking about Canada and everything put cars and our projects. I left the meeting feeling really good because he was such a cool guy and I had made a new friend but then I remembered that I didn't even get to pitch our projects. A few minutes later he called me and told me to just make a list and send it to him. Everytime we saw each other we never talked cars, just everything else. I remember that his family owned one of the first foundry's in the Ontario area and even today you can find man hole covers that say GARTSHORE on them, he joked that it was unfair that none of that money made it his way :) Being a fellow big guy we often talked about health issues etc.....and I hope that wasn't the cause of his passing......

The worst part is he called me Thur to give me crap for not getting the parts list to him for our 2011 project vehicles and I hadn't had a chance yet to call him back.............

Please update us with funeral arrangements...........I would not mind being there.........

Sales-TCI-Eng
06-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Thoughts and prayers go out to Todd's family and the Baer family on behalf of everyone at TCI.

R.I.P.

-J

Tech@Scotts
06-28-2011, 10:01 AM
I met Todd at the Midwest muscle car challenge and helped assist him with the brake challenge portion down to earth guy and he will be missed

hotwheels
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm real sorry to hear the news. I didn't know Todd on a personal level, but he always seemed friendly, approachable and professional. What a great loss to the industry. He will be missed as well as remembered by many! May the good Lord be with his family and friends to give them comfort.

BayouSS
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
I met Todd at one of the RTTH's and realized that he was one of the certain people you meet during your life that you know you want to remember, Todd was certainly one of these people. There have been people I have met in my life that had an effect on me just from the way they talk to you and things they say which many do not remember until later in life or perhaps not at all. I try to focus on these words and remember these people.

While I did not know Todd as well as many of you, just by reading this I can see that he has had an effect on many of you. People such as Todd we carry in our hearts forever and just by remembering these special things he has said or done may change one of those bad days you are having or perhaps give you a different outlook on life for that difficult time you are going through.

God bless you Todd and may you rest in piece, thank you for what you have contributed to a sport we all love so much. You will be missed by many and will be in our thoughts forever.

Bill Howell.. Todd would want you to use that brake certificate, not frame it and place it on a wall, just consider it as a way for him to keep looking after and protecting you. It was for a reason, believe me.

Ringbrothers
06-29-2011, 07:15 AM
We are all still in shock and saddened. Our condolences and prayers go out to the family and everyone at Baer. Todd was an awesome guy to work with!

John Wright
06-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Bill Howell.. Todd would want you to use that brake certificate, not frame it and place it on a wall, just consider it as a way for him to keep looking after and protecting you. It was for a reason, believe me.Bill I agree with this.....maybe make a copy to hang on the wall if you like, but use that certificate as intended by Todd.

Rick@Baer
06-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for all the kind words and memories! All these different events and the people involved in this community meant so much to Todd, and we appreciate the thoughts and memories.

Bill, I know if Todd had his way he will want you to use that certificate! He would hate to see it go to waste, we will get you something else to hang up :)

Thx again to all!
Rick Elam
Baer Brake Systems

454bug
06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Sad news... Godspeed Todd!! :angel:

I feel sad I didn't get to meet this man that was a friend to so many people.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and Todd's friends.

bret
06-30-2011, 06:58 AM
I have received some info about arrangements for Todd Gartshores memorial service. Here is what his son Jordan sent:

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, we are comforted knowing that Todd was so loved.
There have been inquiry's regarding flowers for the Family, and we ask that in lieu of sending flowers please consider making a Memorial gift contribution to Victory Junction. Built in honor of Adam Petty, Victory Junction provides life changing experiences for children with chronic medical conditions or serious illnesses.

Memorial gifts can be made at the foundation website: http://www.victoryjunction.org/

Thank you again,

The Gartshore Family

I think a contribution to the Victory Junction organization is perfect...it makes a lasting difference to those who are still living, and it keep the family's living room from smelling like a funeral home.

[come on...Todd would have said that if he was here:)]

DLinson
06-30-2011, 01:54 PM
I received an e-mail form SEMA and it included an article on the passing of Todd. It included the funeral arrangements:

The funeral for Todd Gartshore will be at the St. Bernard of Clairvaux Catholic Church on July 13, at 11:00 a.m. The church is located at 10755 North 124th Street, in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Just like the rest have said before, this was a shock and a great lose for us. He and his wife gave up a night's hotel fee so they could drive Herb and I to Milwakee from Road America last year when my car broke down. He even put up with me calling him Paul the entire trip without correcting me. I only got to see him at a few events and PT SEMA dinners but that was enough to know that he was a great guy.

Dennis

piratebaseball
06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Prayers sent to him and his family during this time.