PDA

View Full Version : How strong Really are stock Heavy duty rods?

WELTERRACER
06-21-2005, 06:21 PM
I was just reading on the Procharger website where they say Stock heavy duty rods in Small block chevys are good up to 800hp and that 4340 rods are good over 1000hp..

Since i need new rods for my Procharged 350 should i spend the $250-$300 on a set of Forged 4340 rods or should i just get some cheap stock type rods with Arp bolts (ive seen stock apearing 4340 rods on ebay for $175)

graycamaro
06-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Stock apearing rods are intended for class racing with a limited engine rule in order to keep cost down for the racer. For example the stock apearing rods are already bushed for a full floating pin and have good bolts installed and are suppose to be ready to use ( although if you gauge them there are variables ) that way the racer does not have to pay a machine shop to bush a stock rod, install arp bolts, polish the beams, shotpeen and recondition factory rods.

For a street engine or an engine in a class where other rods are allowed your best bet is to spend the money and get a good set of I beam or H beam rods.

Hope this helps you make your decision James